PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-10-2009, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
Question Language lessons?

just came to think of it when Chrisstahl asked me bout how to pronounce some swedish words
how about a thread where one can ask all sorts of language questions?
i for one am very interested in learning other lingos, and try to practice Dutch whenever a i get a chance (working for a Dutch company)
i'd like to learn Frech and Spanish, know a little German (from school way back)
i know, i know, Swedish i heard is among the hardest to learn, read somewhere it is so difficult only approx 10 million all over the world knows it :D:D:D:D
we have many words that sound alike but spelled differently, many meaning for the same word depending on the context, word with same spelling pronounced differently means different things etc
its hard even for us swedes to master it

quick lesson:
the sentence - "han hänger sig" (yes we also have letters most of you don't have, we had to invent new ones as we ran out of letters :D)
pronounced one way it means "he hangs himself", pronounced slightly diferent it means (in a sort of religious meaning) "he really dedicates himself"
as English is pretty full of these things too, foreigners tend to say we have a difficult language
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
It would be a bit difficult because it would need a dedicated server for this approach. In the language dialect, pronunciation is important. Spanish, which is one of my major languages, is spoken slightly different in each Spanish speaking countries. A hispanic person can tell were you are from by the sound of your tone. English is also the same way, A Londoner can tell if you are Welsh, Scott, Yank, Aussie or Irish. We speak the same language but different. Same thing goes for the Chinese, Their intonation can actually pinpoint the hamlet, city or village a person is from. If it can be done, I will definitely be interested, but for now, there is the Rosetta Stone.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
hey ho Silver
i was more thinking in the way of myself learning the words and how to read them, not the dialect thing, it was more a point as to how difficult it can be to speak a language
i myself am interested in learning polish so that when i get good enough i hope to have learned enough to read instructions and understand what they are all about
:D