PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
i wouldn't have expected anything less
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 10-26-2007, 12:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
Rules!

That's all.
Does it come in a spray can?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The mind does fairly boggle at the idea of pimento cheese or Limburger in a spray can -- like Cheese Whiz, the essential ingredient of one version of the Philly Cheese Steak?

Incidentally, as Gil no doubt is aware, speck comes originally from the Tyrol, so there is probably an Italian connection, the German name to the contrary notwithstanding. I'm not sure what Missy would call it -- lardo? -- but in Appalachia, I think the correct technical term is "sowbelly.

And while I totally respect Gil's culinary opinion, I think I would only add speck to Limburger and onion when pigs fly. Which leads me to ask, has anyone seen the film Porco Rosso? There are some wonderful floatplanes and flying boats of the 1920s in that Miyazaki film! http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/porco/

And so I conclude by asking Krzychu74, what is the status of the Pzl-12, which is very similar to some of the World War I seaplane scouts that appear in Porco Rosso?

Don B.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Dang............. I thought this was going to be a new way to put stuff on celery.............all this plane and ship talk has gone over my head!:p

john

P.S.

Not too much was better than my grandma's home made Pimento Cheese.................

My Drawings
Old 10-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Again two nations divided by a common language and now it seems a common appetite lord you do eat some strange things. He says thinking a bit of Black pudding would be nice for a change.
Google Adsense
Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Not to mention steak and kidney pud, stewed kidneys, kippers, bloaters . . . all delicious, in this Yank's opinion!

And speaking of kippers -- one of my grandsons, after watching an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine, asked what "kippers" were. As it happened, there were a couple of cans ("tins" to you, Barry) of kippers in the pantry, so we were able to have an immediate demonstration. After downing the kippers, we built the Fiddlers Green Kipper Factory, so we were able to combine culinary with paper modeling adventures.

And, of course, having spent the last 3.5 years of my life doing research and writing on amphibious warfare, I must add that the British WWII slang term for the landing craft, tank (LCT) was "kipper box."

Tim Perry uses that term for the name of his website. He builds in plastic, but most of his techniques are applicable to paper models and his website is well worth a look: http://www.kipperboxes.co.uk/html/lct_mk_4.html

If you look at his Arizona under construction, you could be excused for thinking you were seeing a paper model: http://www.kipperboxes.co.uk/html/us...na_page_2.html

Don B.

PS: You DO come up with the most stimulating discussion topics, Dan.

Last edited by Don Boose; 10-26-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
The mind does fairly boggle at the idea of pimento cheese or Limburger in a spray can -- like Cheese Whiz, the essential ingredient of one version of the Philly Cheese Steak?

Incidentally, as Gil no doubt is aware, speck comes originally from the Tyrol, so there is probably an Italian connection, the German name to the contrary notwithstanding. I'm not sure what Missy would call it -- lardo? -- but in Appalachia, I think the correct technical term is "sowbelly.

And while I totally respect Gil's culinary opinion, I think I would only add speck to Limburger and onion when pigs fly. Which leads me to ask, has anyone seen the film Porco Rosso? There are some wonderful floatplanes and flying boats of the 1920s in that Miyazaki film! http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/porco/

And so I conclude by asking Krzychu74, what is the status of the Pzl-12, which is very similar to some of the World War I seaplane scouts that appear in Porco Rosso?

Don B.
And the plane is available as a paper model too!
my 2p worth.... jalapeno stuffed with cheese, battered and fried... toilet paper kept overnight in the fridge
Old 10-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Eternal Member

Kippers

Don you taught me something. I never knew you could buy kippers in a can.

I prefer my herrings rolled and dried in an old Victorian cast iron fireplace with a bread oven built in and a coal fire to give them a bit of extra taste. No way of getting them now, the oven and our cobbles and the crab pots were sold 60 years ago.

A large scale Yorkshire cobble would make a good card model come to think of it.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
There is a thread on zealot http://forum.zealot.com/t148142/ about the savoia S.21 seaplane from Porco Rosso. Including pictures of a paper model by ojimak that has never been released.

All this talk of lard and cheese reminds me of poutine - a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with hot gravy (usually brown gravy) and sometimes other additional ingredients. The curds' freshness is important as it makes them soft in the warm fries, without completely melting. It is a quintessential French Canadian comfort food, especially but not exclusively among Québécois.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
Old 10-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Normally, I would have mentioned Spam and Eggs, but with my cholesterol issues, I will have a salad, with some of those funny onions...

I know, BORING!...it's been like that lately.

Google Adsense