PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
I throw in my two cents worth. I particularlly enjoy building model aircraft. 95% of them happen to be military. Like some others that have responded, I am an aviation enthusiast through and through. I love all of the technology that goes into aircraft and I celebrate the creativity of people that can design new and marvelous machines. With the exception of a few special civilians (i.e. Rutan), most extreme leaps in aircraft technology and advancement have come from the military.

I happen to work a second job at an air and space museum. The main focus of the museum happens to be the aircraft Strategic Air Command. While many of the aircraft were developed to drop nuclear weapons (very horrifying to me personally), most have been addapted to do other roles. When I talk about the aircraft to guests, I stress the advancements in technology and safety, not so much the raw destructive power.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that although I build and study primarily military aircraft, I enjoy all forms of aviation and the inginuity it takes to develop them. Someone plase take my soap box
Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.32 MB
Hi Phil!
THIS is a question, that here in germany is often - may be too often - asked when you build and SHOW a warmachine rather equal which time it was used. Funny enough, it is layed in the folder "history", when it is a pieces from the former roman wars or the 14-15th. century. When it is a machine from the WW1 and more stronger from the WW2 - you are "clearly" pointed out as a Nazi, a killer and a lover from any cruelty. I can remember a model-fair, where very high detailled tanks where shown. The owner and proud builders of the models were forced due to some reactions to place a sign: we do not love the war - we just want to show the history like it was. Sad, very sad! You can tell a criticer of our models as often as you wish: the roman "scorpion" was also built to kill people, he will not believe it!
Why do I build warships? Hummm... I am fascinated (don't hit me when it is again a wrong word) from the technic and the shape of a ship for example. I NEVER forget the history of the original - and the men on it who fought and perhaps died on it as BEFORE starting the model I use to read a book or two about the original as I want to get familar with it. The commercial ships ... hummm... look boring to me. Why shall I act with a boring thing? I do not think, that a model war machine will make me running over the street with a loaded gun.
"Funny" enough the people who criticises the war machines watch with MUCH fun StarWARS or "Herr der Ringe" from Tolkien. Perhaps they do not see the dying "monsters" or "enemys from the rebellion".
The war machines are part of our history - part of our living - part of our mankind - if we want to see them or not. No doubt the human technic would NEVER be so far with the war machines. Men (and women) are highly full of imagination to invent a machine to kill another, sad enough... Let's say it with colonel Chamberlain at Gettysburg: What beautiful thing a man is, it could be an angel! The answer: An angel? I am sure he is a KILLER ANGEL! (sorry, I only know the movie in german...).

Sorry, when I wrote too much. Sorry, when I lost the point - but THIS was a question I heard too often and I just wanted to share my own opinion to it.

When I wrote something wrong or perhaps with the wrong word I beg your pardon - I was too lazy to use an german-english dictionary...
Frank
Old 12-13-2007, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
No one (expcept a few deranged types) likes war. Having been personally invited to one and particiapated I can assure you, that despite Hollywood and authors of exciting fiction, the participants are not enthusiastic about the continuation of hostilities. BUT--modeling war machines is an excersise in history. My wife was at Pearl Harbor, on the anniverary of the attack, and attended the memorial service. She was surprised at the number of Japanese survivors who attended. When one of the IJN aviators was asked, "what was going through your mind, as you attacked--the reply was: "I was just thinking about doing my best in a frightening situation". War is ugly--people die and things get broken. But sometimes it's necessary to defend your freedom, or others'. Building models from periods of war, including the cold war--where peace was maintained through mutally assured destruction helps to remember those people who fought valiantly for their beliefs. It also reminds us of the horrors of combat and might just help prevent another conflagration.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:29 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Phil,

most modelers are males, what does that translate to, testosterone, chest pounding, defending the home front/Hearth.

who waged war? men, some women involved theirselves, but usually it was the men fighting.

When I started modeling the first kit was an F-16, a war machine, but over time my tastes have evolved, i make alot of designer toys, race vehicles(combat/competiton of a different type)

It all depends on what you are interested in.

Of course I could recuse myself, I was a government contractor working with the USMC, and I thought I was in heaven being around all of those M1's, LAV-25s, helicopters and hummers.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 AM

@Johnny,heh heh, well, if you cannot handle your own "killer instinct" I could see how you would be offended by my question.

People are warring TODAY, killing each other, they don't even know each other...and you want ME to get a grip?

I am not trying to destroy your hobby, and I am NOT saying soldiers enjoy MURDER. But let's call something that quacks a Duck.

It just sickens me that 95% of the models for sale are war machines, and the most popular subject to model is war.
Google Adsense
Old 12-13-2007, 09:44 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
killing people in a time of war is not murder, legal precedent has been issued on that, Professor Boose might help me on that one.

Killing someone for their sneakers that is Murder.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Yeah - when I start building models of gas chambers and concentration camps or homes of the American serial killer collection (Manson, et al) - then I'd question my sanity. If the majority of the modelling world models 'war machines' - then doesn't that mean it's normal by definition?

Note Phil that I find that you being against this 'norm' a noble position, and certainly find it a logical argument - but I'd say most of us are pretty set in our justifications from the responses I've seen.

Last edited by dansls1; 12-13-2007 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Typo's
Old 12-13-2007, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.69 MB
As a former member of the military and proud of my service, I was upset by the " Or do you people LOVE MURDER?" comment. (Not enough to go out and "MURDER" anyone.). I did not know anyone in the service who "loved" murder or war. The objective of our military is peace, it is the civilians (our President/congress) who say when and where we go to war. If you do not like war, watch out who you elect to our government. A peaceful man can be forced into acts of violence by others who are deranged and want to inflict their views on others. Military planes, ships and others show the level of detail and yes, beauty, that other models do not (some argument there).:p

Also the comment "Machines do not kill anybody - this is done by the people who fly, steer or drive them."is not correct. Those people, on both sides are scared, wondering who the hell put them in that position and praying for their lives. To imply that they are "killers" is wrong. Again, look to your "leaders" in government and the idiots running around this world and pray!

I enjoy building the models, they remind me of the friends I made while serving and the different countries I visited. It gave me a better understanding of the world and its people.:D I also like building trains, commercial ships and architecture, just running out of space to put them...........thankfully is is Christmas and my friends and relatives will receive some interesting "gifts".:p

Enjoy your modeling and build whatever ya want.
Attached Thumbnails
Why model War machines?-terry_o_spring.gif  

Last edited by Padre; 12-13-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
In a perfect world.........war is un-needed. But alas there are some people who do not feel the same as us "normal" people and always want (covet) something someone else has...........sneakers...........blue jeans...............land...........freedom........ .....bubble gum or lunch money.................. it don't matter.

Human nature as much as we hate to admit it, is about survival of the fittest........... there is and always will be good and evil...........and sometime good has to fight evil.

Glorification of "war machines" is one way of looking at it Phil...........seeing the beauty and technical engineering in machines that are used to fight wars is another way of looking at it.

As Rob stated most normal people abhor wars.........especially the ones who have to fight in them, but fight sometimes has to happen, and it takes a special person to stand up for their own rights and the rights of others who can not or will not do it themselves.

Taking a stand, especially going again the status quo is hard and takes guts.............. I like all models......... mostly planes........... glorification of war............ No not really, I just like them.

I've studied History, mostly Military History, does this mean I love war............. I hope it doesn't, I hope it means that I appreciate the sacrifices of those who fought and possible died for something that they believe it.

Because I like to model Military Equipment does it mean I love war............. No.

I understand your point............. and I see why you might think that............. but in all honesty most of us that do build "war machine" do to appreciate the equipment itself........... not what it might ultimately be used for.

Your Friend

john

My Drawings

Last edited by John Bowden; 12-13-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Eternal Member

A hurricane just went by you have a busted leg and a hundred other poor devils sitting with you on the beach do you hope a cruise liner turns up or would you prefer something like Tarawa or almost any other "warship"

If the world was like you Phil it would be a good place and mostly it is.

Leif why not label all your planes as restorations guns disabled I would think everybody who flys would like a replica Corsair or Spitfire to play with even if such things upset the Eco warriors.
Google Adsense
Closed Thread