PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
@Johnny,heh heh, well, if you cannot handle your own "killer instinct" I could see how you would be offended by my question.

People are warring TODAY, killing each other, they don't even know each other...and you want ME to get a grip?

I am not trying to destroy your hobby, and I am NOT saying soldiers enjoy MURDER. But let's call something that quacks a Duck.

It just sickens me that 95% of the models for sale are war machines, and the most popular subject to model is war.
Well my killer instict is limited to catch fish....so thats not an issue.
I'm not offended by your question either......so thats also not an issue.
But when you say I love murder just because I build small cardmodels of vehicles and aircraft from ww2.......I can not agree with that statement.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
"It just sickens me that 95% of the models for sale are war machines, and the most popular subject to model is war."

Where did you get that figure? You made it up, right?
The statement has inherent flaws. If I were to make up a figure I'd say 90% of the FREE models are not military. Since more people obtain free models than buy them, I don't think you have much to worry about. I hope you feel better now.....
Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Padre,
I did not imply that soldiers in those planes/ships/tanks are killers. I only wanted to make clarification that machines are just machines. They do not make decissions, and they do not pull the trigger.

Phil,
I'm not a warlike person but I'm fiercely proud of what my countrymen did during world war 2, fighting Nazi Germany in Poland, France, Great Britain, North Africa, Italy and Germany. Did fighting on all those fronts make them killers?
Do you think Marines or GIs fighting in the Pacific, Europe or Africa were killers?
Just remember that because of those soldiers, their sacrifice and valor you are now able to speak your mind freely. I don't think you would be able to do that if Hitler, Mussolini or Tojo had their way.

I build mostly Japanese planes but right now I'm building a P-40 from Pearl Harbor. One day I will also build a Spitfire, Mustang and Fw-190 only because those planes appeal to me esthetically.
I know what they were used to do. I know how many lives were taken by pilots on both sides and I regret that something so graceful like a fighter plane had to be made into instrument of destruction, but that is history and as it was said here before - we have to remember and make sure that our kids remember so we never again plunge humanity into madness that is war.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 260.53 MB
The reason for this high percentage of "war" models is very simple. if you construct any "civilian"model, it will become very expensive to you.

Or do you think, for example TWA will allow you to make a model with their logo on it, without getting any payment? Or Chevrolet, Mercedes, Dodge, or whatever you want.

If you make a model from any plane/ship/tank from WW1 or WW2, no one can
can want anything from you, because the owners of the rights are no longer existing, or it is public domain, like the allied machines.

To make it clear, i donīt like any kinds of war, but what you call "war-machines" are mostly also milestones in technical history. No matter, if it is a medieval catapult, or a WW2 tank.

And if you build them or not, belongs to you allone. Live and let live, build and let build.

Just my two cents...
Old 12-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Phil,

It appears now that the greatest threat to life on earth is no longer war but rather it is global warming.

Steam driven railroad locomotives are not efficient users of fuel and the exhaust pluming from the stack is not treated to remove known harmful compounds.

Using the argument that people designing and building war models are promoting war is akin to saying that the people designing and building models of steam engines are promoting global warming.

I am just trying to stir the pot - I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

Last edited by -Jim G; 12-13-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-13-2007, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Bad choice of words on my part...

I do not dislike soldiers or anyone else in the military...in fact, I am quite proud of anyone who served...they all have big balls! (courage). And, I do not dislike machines of war...just war itself.

The 95% number I made up myself, but it comes pretty close.
Ramamoto cleared up those reasons for me.

Forgive me if I angered or upset or offended you, this was not my point or my aim.

I realize this forum is an inappropriate place to discuss these issues, especially one created for FUN things, but you people are all I've got, and I respect your opinions. This has been on my mind for a long time, and I'm finally BORED enough to ask...

No hard feelings...okay?

Thank you friends!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 260.53 MB
Hi Phil,

there are really no hard feelings at all!

We all love this hobby, and anyone of us is individuel, with his one thoughts. And why not write about this thoughts and share with others? (please excuse my poor english)
Old 12-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Bad choice of words on my part...
I think that pretty much nails it. The question makes perfect sense, and each one of us probably has a different answer. The manner asked may have raised some fur, but hopefully everyone has got to know you and realizes that no ill intent was meant. I have enjoyed reading the many responses, so thanks for getting an interesting thread started!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
NO hard feelings at all. please forgive me for not addressing your questions directly. the reason the models are designed and sold is because that is what the silent majority of consumers for this market desire. the other question(s), i'll consider rhetorical. i respect your "moxie" for broaching the subject. the world needs peacemakers and sometimes they are in the guise of the military, sometimes as a relatively lone voice from the darkness...

i think "peace in paper" has things in hand for many who feel as you do, but i encourage you to establish something of your own along those lines, if need be.

some modelers choose to build to honor those who served. often, lives were lost on purely humanitarian missions in unarmed aircraft. i hope that Germany will remember the "candy bombers" with affection...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
No hard feelings at all.
Closed Thread