PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
This is freakin AWESOME - a superb design, and a masterful build thus far ! Be proud of yourself for taking this one on.... hell it's scary
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosports View Post
There is always lingering the big crane or a bigger excavator. But other machines als well as a concret-pump or a forest-machine. But i am open to suggestions. Just to little time at hand....
Big crane or bigger excavator would almost be fine with me... until you said concrete pump.

NOW you really have my attention, because I just started driving a concrete truck and am standing next to concrete pumps of all shapes and sizes every day... I need to get a better shot of this one, it has some nice artwork painted on the side...

Operation Mammoet-dsc00798.jpg

That's my truck on the left, I was thinking about using one of your truck models as a base for a scratchbuilt one but I have enough on my plate for now with the mammoet stuff....

but a concrete pump... oh man, that would be awesome!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 AM

Thanks dessy and Peter for the comments, I'm hoping to get a lot more done this weekend, I have saturday off so that's a bit of extra build time.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:29 AM

Another small update, I got a few more little detail parts out of the way, including the silver card stuff mentioned earlier.

There's a step that goes behind the energy rack, an equipment locker, some more air tanks and the exhaust stacks.

Operation Mammoet-step.jpgOperation Mammoet-locker.jpgOperation Mammoet-exhaust.jpg

I'm not too happy with how the exhausts turned out, the smallest hole I can punch is too large to do the small holes in the outer heat guard so I had to settle for imprints made with the point of a wooden skewer, another thing I like about this foil card. I usually use super-glue for this stuff and always make a mess of it. This time around I used my usual tacky pva craft glue. I was just as messy, but the pva scrapes off the foil easily, wet or dry.

Next up there are a few more smaller bits and pieces to add to the paint queue, including the rearview mirrors and other bits that go with the chrome stuff. Along with those I did the rear trailer hitch or ringfeeder. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, I added a couple of bolts then put some holes in it and added a bolt made from wooden skewer. It will be able to hold the drawbar used to tow away the boom carrier trailer once the boom's telescopic legs have been deployed, as shown in the last pic.

Operation Mammoet-bits.jpgOperation Mammoet-hitch1.jpgOperation Mammoet-hitch2.jpgOperation Mammoet-p1060194large.jpg
Old 10-01-2011, 02:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
'this lad is buzzing'. Mmmmm, i really like that foil stuff its a very effective addition to any model. i got ya with the spray putty now i think you've got me back with this foil, going to have to source it some where......... mutter, mutter, thanks a lot!
Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Glad to be of service, I see the stuff in all kinds of stores, you should be able to find it somewhere. I haven't made much effort locating the sprayputty yet cos my funds don't allow for it anyway, bit tight this month...

Not much more to report, but I thought i'd take some time to show you how I paint the bits, just in case it inspires someone to try something new.

So here's the jaffro part painting emporium in action. I do most of my painting in the garage since I use spraypaints, but I've been able to take over the ensuite from time to time for handpainting small parts in bad weather.

Operation Mammoet-setup.jpg

I use wooden skewers with pins or blutak (sticky stuff for putting posters on wall) to hold the parts, this allows me to hold them and rotate them as needed while painting, it also means I can paint the whole part without getting fingerprints on them or smudging wet paint when i put the parts down to dry.

Operation Mammoet-reds.jpgOperation Mammoet-blacks.jpgOperation Mammoet-cabin.jpg

I prefer to use spray cans for most of my painting, they're cheap at $3 each and last forever. For some stuff I like to use an airbrush, but you can't beat spraycans for ease of setup and cleanup after painting. For the wheelarches I dusted off the airbrush only because funds are tight, I can't even afford a $3 spraycan but I have a heap of grey left over after the ship I just built. Pretty happy with how they turned out, didn't even putty them in the end and so far they only have one coat of paint, that's most likely all they're going to get too after the effort it took just to get them to this point.

Operation Mammoet-archesgrey.jpg

I'm almost ready to start assembling the beast now... just a few parts to go. Air and exhaust pipes, brake lines and a few other little details.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 AM

great set-up their. i try to get away with spraying inside the house especially when the wife goes out shopping but because 'according to the her' i'm just thick! because she always smells the 'pear drops' odour and funny shaped sillhouettes on the walls when she comes back!

besides my own painting problems. the use of gloss black on the cab, shiney things and the flat grey on the fenders should show a life like contrast on the finished model. well foreseen.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:59 AM

Thanks, glad you like it. As I mentioned earlier, I've always loved the combination of black,grey, silver/chrome and red. It's what got my attention when researching the LTM11200 and first seeing the Mammoet paint scheme...

As far as the model goes, I've got lots to do now that the latest batch of parts are painted but haven't had any time to do it but I will have some spare time next week to start putting it all together.

I'm nearly ready to start on the trailer, it will be a scratch-build but I have asked nosports permission to "borrow" some parts from his lowboy trailer model to help me out. I'll be using the wheels because by eye, they appear to be pretty close to the size I need, no need to play around with rescaling or design. I'll also be using some axles from one of the truck models, as the trailer I want to build has 7 axles, 6 of them are steerable.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, and since I don't have any new pics of the model, here's a few shots showing the real thing, and a die-cast model of it.

Operation Mammoet-img_5375.jpgOperation Mammoet-p1060178large.jpgOperation Mammoet-p1060129large.jpgOperation Mammoet-p1060111large.jpgOperation Mammoet-img_5338.jpg
Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
Thanks, glad you like it. As I mentioned earlier, I've always loved the combination of black,grey, silver/chrome and red. It's what got my attention when researching the LTM11200 and first seeing the Mammoet paint scheme...

As far as the model goes, I've got lots to do now that the latest batch of parts are painted but haven't had any time to do it but I will have some spare time next week to start putting it all together.

I'm nearly ready to start on the trailer, it will be a scratch-build but I have asked nosports permission to "borrow" some parts from his lowboy trailer model to help me out. I'll be using the wheels because by eye, they appear to be pretty close to the size I need, no need to play around with rescaling or design. I'll also be using some axles from one of the truck models, as the trailer I want to build has 7 axles, 6 of them are steerable.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, and since I don't have any new pics of the model, here's a few shots showing the real thing, and a die-cast model of it.

Attachment 103979Attachment 103980Attachment 103981Attachment 103982Attachment 103983
so really, you've just completed the easy bit! .
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 PM

yeah pretty much

lots of scratchbuilding and guesswork to follow, although the trailer is pretty straight forward, the thing i'm not sure of is how the crane is going to go... I haven't actually found or seen a build thread or photos that show the whole model, finished and fully assembled, let alone the fact there doesn't seem to be full instructions for it... I could be wrong, but it's all part of the challenge and should be fun regardless.

Last edited by jaffro; 10-06-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spalling
Google Adsense