PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Thanks, all. But we're not there yet.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
don't you think that this would be a wonderful candidate for a 1:8 scale RC car? I suppose you'd have the difficulty of synchronising each of the individual motors you'd have to have in the pods... but... boy would that be a fun little vehicle to see move.

It looks like you're having fun with that model.

Did the designer ever finish the paper model of the other sno cat? I seem to remember that he had something partially completed.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM

I am afraid most people would be unaware of the big story behind this little machine when it would be made into an RC car. Most manufacturers rather would like to see it sold so they make it something flashy red and black and with aggressive looking wings and other protruding bits instead of this peaceful machine. But yes, it would look great to play with in a bigger and motorized way.

When I tried to find Kerstjan Blaauw's original site with the help of the Wayback machine I unfortunately only found empty pages. But the other Sno-Cats of this expedition were just the same model with only different letters on the two cabin doors. I don't know of any other model of a Sno-Cat or another snow tractor. They do trigger one's imagination, don't they?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 PM

I'm so glad you decided to "go for the gold" with a more detailed version of the Sno-cat. For this diorama, it's sure to be worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post

I don't know of any other model of a Sno-Cat or another snow tractor. They do trigger one's imagination, don't they?
There is at least one other, a John Deere Forte DF370. Check this thread for nice builds by posters RyanCooper and Chaldane.

I agree with you, though. There are lots of very cool snow machines that would make excellent modeling subjects. I especially love that 1939 monster "Snow Cruiser" with the biplane on it's back.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 AM

That indeed is a huge machine. I've never seen it before! The Beech Staggerwing on its back is an easily available model. Weird they didn't think of getting profiled tyres instead of slicks. And a pity it's lost.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post

Weird they didn't think of getting profiled tyres instead of slicks.
Yeah, isn't that odd? A huge, heavy vehicle designed expressly for the Antarctic environment, and for traction they equip it with ... smooth, tread-less donut-like tires that just sink into the snow and spin helplessly.

Why not wide wheels with huge cleats/ribs? Or tracks? Maybe with a pair of big skids up front? It makes me think that there must be more to the story.

Some photos for anyone interested (designers? ).
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Interesting that site hasn't been updated in a few years. Joel Dirnberger used to be a well know name in the plastic model car field. Had been doing a stratchbuild of the GM Futurama bus in the late 90s. This was another project he'd planned then he just sort of disappeared.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:44 AM

A few years? Almost a decade! It would have been nice to see a model of this weird vehicle. I have a weakness for one-off, weird vehicles. Especially when they actually were made and didn't function as planned.
I also would like paper model of the Bagger 288. Would be quite a hard one but it sure makes a great model... Aaand there already is a 3D model in the making..
Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 AM

The new coachwork is finished. I added some interior stuff to the cargo compartment, shelves and a leftover box from the Tintin rocket I recently made. next were the joining up of the parts and adding some tiny details. Funny thing is that when I finally get really deep into these kind of builds, I tend to lose myself in irrelevant detailing no one will ever notice. Oh well, It's there and it looks good on the model. The thing I really like is the scratchbuilt drive shaft part. It is able to move with the pivoting suspension rig of the pontoons. This should make it easy to position it on the diorama and still look good. These parts (along with the axles of the pontoons) are made of brass and are the only non-paper parts in this build.

Now I am starting work on the rear set of pontoons. Hopefully I have this thing finished in a couple of days now. I already have another project awaiting. A quick hasty sketch on the paper at the last picture shows a bit of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tucker Sno-Cat Commonwealth Trans - Antarctic Expedition 1957-cimg4250.jpg   Tucker Sno-Cat Commonwealth Trans - Antarctic Expedition 1957-cimg4251.jpg   Tucker Sno-Cat Commonwealth Trans - Antarctic Expedition 1957-cimg4256.jpg   Tucker Sno-Cat Commonwealth Trans - Antarctic Expedition 1957-cimg4258.jpg   Tucker Sno-Cat Commonwealth Trans - Antarctic Expedition 1957-cimg4260.jpg  

Tucker Sno-Cat Commonwealth Trans - Antarctic Expedition 1957-cimg4262.jpg   Tucker Sno-Cat Commonwealth Trans - Antarctic Expedition 1957-cimg4264.jpg  
Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 190.42 MB
Hi Paper Kosmonaut:
It must have been a heck of a work, but the interior of the cargo compartment and those tracks got much better.
Rgds
Carlos
Google Adsense