PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck

Here is my new project. Since I've been put into a wheeled vehicle frame of mind by the Ford F15A beta build I just completed, I pulled this one out of the stack.

It is hand drawn and has three pages of build drawings to it. It is labeled as a level 3 difficulty model.

Parts fit is surprisingly very good for a hand drawn kit. The tricky part is trying to figure out how thick to laminate parts and where holes for wire parts need to be drilled.

The parts to be laminated are marked but there is no indication of how thick and it is sometimes difficult to figure this part out. There is a lot of thought and planning required to decide upon build sequence.

Anyway, so far having fun with this one. Enjoy the pics of the frame.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4318.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4319.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4320.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4321.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4322.jpg  

GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4323.jpg  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The frame work looks great. Gotta luv them leaf springs.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good start, Greg!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking good, Greg

Are you building the kit as is?

Tim
Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fine work on the frame, Greg. This and your work on the CMP F.15 inspired me to dig out the old Modelik WC-51 3/4-ton weapons carrier model that I started years ago.

Once I get the Otter finished, I think I will make another stab at the WC-51.

Looking forward to more inspiration from your Star build.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 08-30-2012, 10:32 AM

Thanks All for the kind words and support.

Tim,

Yes I am building this kit as is. There is a choice between "Milicja" and "policjia" markings and a set of screen patterns for all the glass areas. I am not doing the screens. I think they look unattractive and doubt they were used on all versions of this truck so I consider them optional and not worth the pain and agony of fabrication.

Greg
Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 AM

My parents and brother were visiting over labor day weekend and put some brakes on my model building. I'm back on track and have made some more progress.

While the frame went together nicely, the tires were another story. there were no internal parts to add any structure and my first attempt was not good. It is now the spare tire to be hidden under the truck. I made internal rings for the tread, rims and sidewals to attache to. Still not my best efforts but better than my first try.

Engine is just a partial component (nothing on the top) similar in concept to the engine in the F15A I built right before this. Engine mounts are not well defined in the diagrams at all and I had to guess where and how they were to be installed.

I waited to install the engine until the driveline was built up and fitted. The exhaust pipe needed tweaked to fit properly. the template wasn't quite right.

Next are the tanks, boxes and stuff that hang onto the frame.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4324.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4325.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4326.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4327.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4328.jpg  

GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4329.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4330.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4331.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4332.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Chassis looks good. The engine isn't much is it? Other then being an inline can't tell much more. Probably a Perkins (or based on one) as a long shot guess.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:21 AM

I know I know, I am behind on my posts. The cab is done and I'm working on the back "personnel box" now. I'll try to post some pictures this evening.

I have been struggling with motivation once again. It is one thing to do Beta builds and provide constructive criticism, its another to build an ill fitting older handdrawn model that will probably never see any sort of improvement.

The frame went well and now everything has sort of gone down hill when I started the tires. The cab gave me fits and the lack of any sort of guidance on reinforcing cardboard thickness doesn't help either.

I will be finishing this and posting results regardless of my happiness with the result, I am not abandoning this one like I did with the Zil from a couple months ago. But ugly it may be.

Greg
Old 09-25-2012, 05:15 PM

Pictures! I thik I'm now caught up with this thread.

I have to find a thinner type of clear stock for the windows. The stuff I've been using is too stiff and causes more trouble than needed for curved windshields.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4343.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4344.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4345.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4346.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4347.jpg  

GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4348.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4349.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4350.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4351.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4352.jpg  

GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4353.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4354.jpg   GPM Star Personnel Transport Truck-dscn4355.jpg