PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
There's two black slots above No.plate in the rear body. The should live in them and pull out for use. You'll need to form some sort of hooked end to stop them coming right out, and of course, something to stop them going in too far.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Many thanks, Johnny! Since I have already glued up the platform, I think I will just imagine those ramps in place.

Meanwhile, do I have the chassis pointed in the right direction? I assume that the black marker line on the chassis (red circle) denotes where the edge of the cab fits. Yes?

I hope to finish model "c" this evening and then get back to work on the big 'un.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Volker's Advent calendar.-volker_advent2016-c16-01.jpg  
Old 12-07-2016, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Don:
Print a Bit of Road hook them off the back of the transporter and makeup one of Volkers cars to put partway onto the transporter instant Diorama.
Grin,
Miles
Old 12-07-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Meanwhile, do I have the chassis pointed in the right direction? I assume that the black marker line on the chassis (red circle) denotes where the edge of the cab fits. Yes? Don
That would be my guess too Don. Can't think of any other reason for the line being there. Myself, I'd build the chassis complete with running gear first, then you can try it both ways around to get the wheels central in the front wheel arch.

I haven't built it yet, but I'm thinking Volker must have made the sloping chassis ends at different angles for a reason. The front grill panel looks to be the steeper angle.

I'm surprised that vehicle 3 only has single wheels on it's back axle. I would have expected twin wheels to give it a better carrying capacity. Likewise for the first model. My old Ford Transit Beavertail had twin wheels at the back, but the local MoT tester often told us off when carrying the Mk9 Jag. Saying we really needed a third axle to carry it's weight. We fobbed him off by pointing out that 80% af the Jags body was FiGlass not steel, but I don't think he really believed us. Well we were fibbing a bit Only the wings (Fenders to you) were FiGlass.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:37 PM

Good advice, Johnny, but the front and rear axles are of different widths, the shorter one being marked "V" (vorwärts) but, unlike his usual custom, Volker has not marked the front end of the chassis with a "V." However, putting the gentler slope forward not only aligns the black line with the back of the cab, it also seems to put the axle slightly more centered at the front wheel well.

With regard to the single rear wheels, this appears to be a light weight recovery truck (315 Sprinter, perhaps?).

Miles - Good idea. I am thinking of making some kind of low-relief backdrop to photograph the models against.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 12-07-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-07-2016, 04:16 PM

08 is up. Looks like we're getting another big one.

Volker's not keeping up with the picture and ID under the Xmas 2016 tab though. I find them useful in lieu of instructions, and of course the ID text enables Googling pics of real ones.

Are you Southern Hemisphere chaps still having problems getting Volker's sites? I'm still getting through OK using this 2008 bookmark for Streetpaper.de.

streetpaper.de
Old 12-07-2016, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Friends:
Does any one Have any Euro Road Textures that when printed out would be suitable to match 1/43 scale which I think is Volkers Scale of Choice?
To be used as a base for simple road side car pick ups?
Thanks,
Miles
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 917.06 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
08 is up. Looks like we're getting another big one.

Volker's not keeping up with the picture and ID under the Xmas 2016 tab though. I find them useful in lieu of instructions, and of course the ID text enables Googling pics of real ones.

Are you Southern Hemisphere chaps still having problems getting Volker's sites? I'm still getting through OK using this 2008 bookmark for Streetpaper.de.

streetpaper.de
No, friend. This Kiwi can't get Volker's sites, yet. Tried another browser and the different links in the thread. I am enjoying the discussion and Don's build report.
Ant.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:09 AM

Two Done

Thanks kahoody.

I have completed the third vehicle. There are a number of flaws from a printer glitch that left lines on the rear platform and some sloppy craftsmanship, but I am going to go on to the second (big yellow) model. When the dust settles, I may try the third vehicle again.

My only deviation from Volker's build method is to roll the tires (a method used by papermate, Dave Winfield, and others).

Based on Miles's idea, I fabricated a quick and dirty backdrop by printing out cobblestones and some Paul Race building fronts (https://bigindoortrains.com/indoor_r...ing_fronts.htm). Thanks to Becky for bringing these useful models to our attention. If I can get caught up a bit on these models, I may try to put together a better backdrop.

I am off to a class, but will try to make some progress on the big yellow truck this evening, and will have some questions about where some of the parts go.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Volker's Advent calendar.-volker_advent2016-c16-03.jpg   Volker's Advent calendar.-volker_advent2016-c16-01.jpg   Volker's Advent calendar.-volker_advent2016-b16-02.jpg   Volker's Advent calendar.-volker_advent2016-c16-02.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.38 MB
First of all, Thank You, Volker, you do an amazing thing for the cardstock modelling community! Vielen, herzlichen Dank für all die schönen Modelle!

Workaround for those, for whom Volker's site is N/A:
1. Look for a proxy site (https://hide.me/en/proxy works for me)
2. Paste the URL to the xmas calendar (http://racepaper.de/race/xmas/xmas2016.htm)
3. Download.

For the models so far:
4. The Wayback Machine.
5. The URL: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://racepaper.de/race/xmas/download/*
6. In the text box next to "Filter results" enter 16_
7. Either right click save as (well, your browser's equivalent to the command) or..
8. open the link in a new tab, scroll down and choose one of the dates marked with a blue circle, mouse over and right click save as with one of the times. (You need this method for days 1, 5, 6 and 7; just a heads up.)

If proxies are too risky for your taste, I guess if the Wayback Machine archived the days so far, they'll archive the rest, too.

best wishes Michiru
Google Adsense