PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Jules Verne's "Steam House"

Not sure what group to stick this thread in, but since the wagon/house is sort of a vehicle I'll put it in here.. Feel free to move it if needed..

A model from my ABC "Jules Verne" Special magazine from 05...
Was sorting through my collection of ABC models, when I came across the instructions that I had misplaced for this. The "Steam Elephant" had been finished some time ago, but I had yet to start the caravan/house that is towed by the elephant. As I love the vivid colors of this, and I have a vague idea of how I want to display the piece. I thought I would try to finish this up sometime this summer. Will be a nice change when I get burned out on other projects. Scale is unknown to me, but the elephant stands about 9 inches tall... Plus the head moves up and down..

Jules Verne's
Steam House series "Tigers and Traitors"
Plot Synopsis:
Nana Sahib is wanted for the atrocities he committed during the Sepoy revolt in India in 1857. Ten years later, an engineer named Banks invites Colonel Munro, Captain Hood, a Frenchman named Maucler and their associates to accompany him on a tour of the northern parts of India via a unique conveyance. The conveyance's engine resembles a huge elephant, only this elephant is powered by steam. As the adventurer's head north it becomes obvious to them that Colonel Munro (whose wife was reported killed at Cawnpore) has plans to for revenge. Unknown to him, Nana Sahib has similar intentions.
What the finish model should look like..

Couple of illustrations from the web regarding the model..

Instruction sheet..

One of the parts sheet showing the great graphics...

Photos of the finished Steam Elephant...

Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Quite fantastic Peter!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
Quite fantastic Peter!
Thanks Glen.. It will definitely be "colorful".. In my mind, I'm thinking that I want it to end up looking like one of the old time "tin toys" from that era..
Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I like thisand I agree a vintage toy finish is appropriate.I would lacquer it. Very unique model
Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
This is going to be cool. I love tin toys, I grew up playing with my dad's old ones. They were so cool!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Hehehe! I'm at the same place with this one, Peter. I've done the Steam Elephant and I started the Steam House (as it's referred to in the book), but I got completely confused by the instructions, then horribly distracted. It's been sitting on my shelf for the better part of a year, I think.
I'd love to see you work your great skill on this one. Please post plenty of photos so I can follow humbly after with mine as well.
Chris
PS. The elephant is a "piggy" bank, there's a slot in the Howdah for coins that raise the elephant's head as the coin works its way down a slide.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Hehehe! I'm at the same place with this one, Peter. I've done the Steam Elephant and I started the Steam House (as it's referred to in the book), but I got completely confused by the instructions, then horribly distracted. It's been sitting on my shelf for the better part of a year, I think.
I'd love to see you work your great skill on this one. Please post plenty of photos so I can follow humbly after with mine as well.
Chris
PS. The elephant is a "piggy" bank, there's a slot in the Howdah for coins that raise the elephant's head as the coin works its way down a slide.
Thanks Chris.. Your right, the instructions/ diagrams are to put it nicely a little confusing. Though to be fair, I think if we were able to read the written text, it would explain a lot. As I never have any spare coin, and as I want to display it on a base I chose not to make a bank out of it. Post pictures of yours in this thread if you want. Would be nice to see someone elses build of it.. I glazed in my windows on the Howdah (thanks for spelling that out for me) with transparent film, though it does'nt show in the photos. All the models in the magazine are quite nice, and if I complete this I think the balloon "Viktoria" might be next.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keds_Girl_Lala View Post
I like thisand I agree a vintage toy finish is appropriate.I would lacquer it. Very unique model
Had a feeling you might like this.. Since I have an airbrush, I plan on multiple layers of Future until I get the look I want. Plus I also want to find out what hardwoods are native to India, and them pick up something at a store close by that deals in exotic woods. I think it would make a nice base to display it on. At the moment, that's the plan..
Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
The hardwood base sounds like a really good idea and very fitting the subject.
The Viktoria is one of the ones I haven't gotten to yet. Here's a shot of the ones I've done so far (before being stymied by the Steam House);
Jules Verne's "Steam House"-img_1972.jpg
I particularly like the submarine "Sword" from "For the Flag" and I hope eventually to complete them all. Even more reason for me to follow your build!
Chris
Old 05-21-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
The hardwood base sounds like a really good idea and very fitting the subject.
The Viktoria is one of the ones I haven't gotten to yet. Here's a shot of the ones I've done so far (before being stymied by the Steam House);
I particularly like the submarine "Sword" from "For the Flag" and I hope eventually to complete them all. Even more reason for me to follow your build!
Chris
Nice builds there Chris!! I've done a couple of those, and they're stashed somewhere. I have an idea on the netting for the "Viktoria", plus maybe a way of having it look suspended off the ground. And for once I've actually written them down and stuck them with the model.. Something I should do more often. This will be a slow build, as I want to keep going on the BA-6 and the MS-AI..
Google Adsense