PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 11-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
London General K-type bus, 1:32

Some time ago I bored you all with the long drawn-out saga of my B-Type Bus inspired by Richard Vyškovský's model K-Type from 1988.

London General K-type bus, 1:32-pic1.jpg London General K-type bus, 1:32-pic2.jpg

Not being one to let well alone, I started pondering the shortcomings of the old design as a scale model, and the many similarities between the B-Type and the K-Type (along with their evident differences). I started sketching plans based mainly on photographs of the two operational K-Types still about, K424 and K502. I knew I wouldn't have the invaluable help of Doug Rose's lovely drawings, as I had for the B-Type, so struggled on. By this time it was clear that I had no chance of seeing the vehicles in the flesh for the foreseeable future (because of Covid-19) to check on details of no interest to those who had posted photos on the net.

After a couple of months I had something of reasonably satisfying proportions, and did yet another image search to try to check on some detail. Amongst all the photos there was a drawing in a style I recognised, and lo and behold there was a Doug Rose drawing, of K502. He had posted it on his web site just a few days before I started! Fortunately we seemed to agree pretty much on the shape, so I didn't have to redo very much. However, it did mean that I now couldn't chicken out of making the model.

There will follow a brief (I promise) run through the construction process, together with some odd comments about the original as I think of them.
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2020, 11:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Excellent, will be following with interest.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 520.55 MB
Watching the development of a new model is never boring, especially one as detailed as your B-Type. Looking forward to this next one.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:02 AM

Thank you both for your kindness.

We start with the chassis. This was built in the same way as for the B-Type, from wooden beams flitched externally with steel plate. Unlike the B-Type, on which the side rails were parallel throughout, the front section in way of the engine was 4" (100mm) narrower than further back, with a tapering section between. Each side member was extended rearwards behind the passenger compartment at a slightly lower level to support the entry platform.

London General K-type bus, 1:32-pic3.jpg

As with the B-Type model I only suggested the underfloor equipment in very crude blocks, since it is largely invisible behind the wheels and side guards.

London General K-type bus, 1:32-pic4.jpg

The front suspension was almost identical to that on the B-Type, except that here the axle beam was cranked upwards at the ends, so that the whole chassis would sit 5" (125mm) lower.

London General K-type bus, 1:32-pic5.jpg

At the back this 5" change was achieved by moving the spring attachment points to the middle of the side member, instead of hanging them below. A conical volute spring was placed above the centre of the leaf spring on each side, to provide stiffer springing as the load increased. To cope with the reduced clearance between the axle and body floor, the worm drive to the differential was hung below the axle instead of above. In order to maintain a straight drive train throughout, the whole thing - engine, gearbox, propshafts and rear axle housing - sloped downwards by about 5° to the horizontal.

London General K-type bus, 1:32-pic6.jpg
Old 11-05-2020, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glad to see you have another London bus under construction.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2020, 01:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
this is going to be good
Old 11-07-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
this is going to be good
No claims of victory until all the parts are counted...
Old 11-07-2020, 04:32 AM

So to the body. I started with a test run of the lower saloon with opaque windows and entranceway to check that the shape was reasonable.

London General K-type bus, 1:32-pic7.jpg London General K-type bus, 1:32-pic8.jpg

This corresponds to K502 as it is currently presented, but as I collected more photographs it was clear that these vehicles had over their lifetime at least two different body types, and three different colour schemes (and probably many detail differences). The bodies originally fitted were very box-shaped, with their sides going straight down to the floor. They had just three windows in the front bulkhead. In the mid-1920s, after the introduction of the NS-Type in 1923, K-Types (and S-Types) received new bodies in which the rocker panels, the lowest segment of the body sides, were curved inwards towards the floor, improving on the somewhat clumsy appearance of the original design. Also the front three windows were augmented by toplights, improving the internal illumination.

In the original paint scheme, the rocker panels and corresponding bottom panels at the rear were brown, edged in black and with off-white lining. The panels bearing the "General" fleet name were red also edged in black, with black lining in three sections, and with the corners embellished with scrolled decorations. Similar lining adorned the engine cover, dashboard and upper deck sides at front and rear where they were not covered by advertisement boards. The window surrounds and corner posts were off-white. This style can be seen on the restored S-Type S454.

Around the time the new bodies were fitted the rocker panels were changed to red, unlined. The lining on the engine cover, dashboard and upper deck was dispensed with, and that on the lower deck was simplified with a geometric pattern in the corners. This is the condition currently shown on K502.

Finally the remaining lining was omitted, leaving plain red, as seen now on K424.

Just because I rather liked the brown/red/white livery, I decided to go for a version of K502 but in something like its original condition. This may lead to some anachronisms with the advertisements and route information, but I don't mind too much.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
It looks as if there is another bus to make.

How about a WW1 version to add to the collection / ;-))

Cheers
Mike
Old 11-08-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stamper View Post
It looks as if there is another bus to make.

How about a WW1 version to add to the collection / ;-))

Cheers
Mike

Gosh, I don't think there will be any shortage of bus types before I run out of steam - S, NS, LS, LT, ST, STL are just the major classes up to 1933! I'm afraid I can't work up much enthusiasm for olive drab, so I don't think I'll be doing the WW1 version of the B. Someone else is very welcome to do a repaint, though.
Google Adsense