Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 06-22-2021, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 64.98 MB
Very nice work!
Old 06-22-2021, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
When the drivers actually had to drive the race car. The steering wheel of the modern cars costs more than the whole vehicle from back then. I know driver safety is a major thing, but can't help feel it's all becoming too clinical. The one safety device which took so long to introduce is the Halo, this in my opinion should have been an obvious thing to have... even back then... but obviously not the case.
I totally agree with the Halo. I must admit I thought it spoiled the "clean" look of the cars before they were introduced, but I accepted that design isn't everything. I genuinely thought I witnessed a fatality live on TV last year at Bahrain, thank heavens the Halo did exactly what it was designed to do and protected the driver.

I'm too young to have memories of the past century, but I really admired the technology and the drivers and their unique techniques, sometimes you could tell that two drivers in the same car were shifting completely differently! To me, it was awesome to see hear naturally aspirated (and crazy rocket fuel turbo) cars, but I am well aware of the tragedies of those times...
Old 06-22-2021, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by N96HBK View Post
I'm too young to have memories of the past century, but I really admired the technology and the drivers and their unique techniques, sometimes you could tell that two drivers in the same car were shifting completely differently! To me, it was awesome to see hear naturally aspirated (and crazy rocket fuel turbo) cars, but I am well aware of the tragedies of those times...
There are a lot of good documentries out there,
but two dramatic Formula One films that are a must see:

(1966) Grand Prix with James Garner...all real race footage from the late sixties.

(2013) Rush with Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl about the James Hunt/Nikki Lauda rivalry.

Unfortunately I don't know of a film that covers the in-between period,
or most specifically the "Turbo years" 1977-88 when cars were in the last stages of "really dangerous and incredibly overpowered".
Turbo power gave them upwards of 1400hp!

Ground effects were effectively banned about 1982, but the evolution of ground effects is another period of very interesting history in F1.

Many weird car designs made F1 more interesting I think.
No two cars were the same.
Today, they seem to be more like cookie cutter designs.

Make sure to check out the "Sucker" Chapparal (1970), as well as the 1978 Lotus 79 "Giant Fan" car.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 745.93 MB
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
There are a lot of good documentries out there,
but two dramatic Formula One films that are a must see:

(1966) Grand Prix with James Garner...all real race footage from the late sixties.

(2013) Rush with Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl about the James Hunt/Nikki Lauda rivalry.

Many weird car designs made F1 more interesting I think.
No two cars were the same.
Today, they seem to be more like cookie cutter designs.

Make sure to check out the "Sucker" Chapparal (1970), as well as the 1978 Lotus 79 "Giant Fan" car.

Agreed, great movies, Dave!
I think you meant '78 Brabham BT46B Fan Car. The Lotus had great ground effects but no fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Nice. I hope that beautiful engine can be seen if you look up from the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Beautiful!
I wish I had the time to build all these classic cars.

Is there any front suspension support?
Those paper A-arms don't look strong enough to support the car.
Have they been glue strengthened
or is there some sort of support under the front body?

Vermin_King, yes the engine is visible from the bottom. Still hard to see much of the detail though.

And Dave, there is no support for the front. What you see is what you get. The suspension parts are double thickness by design. There's a upper and lower surface that are glued together and surprisingly stiff and strong despite being 120gsm paper.
Attached Thumbnails
1978 Tyrrell Ford 008 Depailer (Spinler)-tyrrell-008-18.jpg   1978 Tyrrell Ford 008 Depailer (Spinler)-tyrrell-008-19.jpg  
Old 06-22-2021, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveWRX View Post
Thanks everyone!

I think you meant '78 Brabham BT46B Fan Car. The Lotus had great ground effects but no fan.

Vermin_King, yes the engine is visible from the bottom. Still hard to see much of the detail though.

And Dave, there is no support for the front. What you see is what you get. The suspension parts are double thickness by design. There's a upper and lower surface that are glued together and surprisingly stiff and strong despite being 120gsm paper.
That floor view looks amazing!! Mr. Špinler's Ford-Cosworth DFV is truly a work of art. If you buy the ABC Formule 1 Special workbook (with 12 models!!) you get a number of 1970s cars with fully exposable DFV engines. They're available at various European shops, you might be interested in getting a copy!!

I'll check those movies out! Not sure if GP '66 is available in my country, though..
Old 06-23-2021, 03:50 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
I forgot to ask...Vince, is that rear faring removable ?
Old 06-23-2021, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 745.93 MB
No, not removable as there is only one attachment point. I did consider trying to make it removable somehow, but I'm no engineer.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:55 AM
Forum Helper

Quote:
No, not removable as there is only one attachment point. I did consider trying to make it removable somehow, but I'm no engineer.
I beg to differ...you sir, are a Paper engineer, incredibly talented Vince
Old 06-23-2021, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:

yes! I can never get the Lotus 78/79 out of my head, so I mixed them up
TECH TUESDAY: The Lotus 79, F1's ground effect marvel
It was the car that started my interest in watching F1 on TV.
I had the Corgi toy since I was little...
I really liked the John Player Special look and livery...even smoked JPS for a while, but only if they were in those glossy black packages! lol

But you are correct, the Brabham was "the giant fan" car with the big fan exhausting from the rear.
Very strange looking.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:58 AM
Forum Helper

The fan car, yeah what a concept. What about the Tyrrell 6 wheeler ? short lived ideas. But back then they were trying ideas and using wind tunnel only, hardly any computer software simulation, good old fashioned "suck it and see"
Google Adsense