PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 07-12-2022, 04:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.04 MB
1985 Daytona 24 Hours Class Winner

This is my first 'scratch-built' kit.

Background:

Between 1985 and 1995, Roush Racing won class victories at the Daytona 24 Hours ten times. They won their class every year they entered a vehicle (they sat out the '94 race). In 1995, a Mustang driven by Paul Newman, Tommy Kendall, Mark Martin and Mike Brockman finished third overall.

During this period, Roush's Trans-Am program, which used the same chassis entered at Daytona, won 47% of the races they entered.

This is a 'proof of concept' kit. It's roughly 1/30th scale, and does not have an assembly schematic. However, the parts are all numbered, and I believe the glue tabs have all been properly labeled. Black labels with white text indicate a part to be glued on the reverse.

I'm not particularly adept at 3D modeling software yet, so these parts were all done 2D and test fitted.

This kit is the '85 class winner. There are a few noticeable differences as compared to the decals provided by Indycals. The basis for this decal configuration comes from a photo of the vehicle after the race, which shows that there was no number on the hood, and no decal on the windshield.

The configuration of the area behind the rear bulkhead varied considerably over time. I went with the configuration shown in this vehicle:

1985 Roush Protofab Mustang Trans Am for sale #164686 | Motorious

I'm releasing the model under Creative Commons: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Attached Thumbnails
1985 Daytona 24 Hours Class Winner-dx3tqrmxgaa6puk.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1985.pdf (392.0 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by richardajensen; 07-12-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2022, 10:49 AM

During some checking, I found that I did the math wrong with the wheels.

Also, when I downloaded the IMSA rulebook for that year, I found out that the front and rear wheels (but not the tires) had to have the same diameter.

So I've corrected those infelicities and scaled everything up to 1/25th scale.

I've included the '86 winner as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1986.pdf (418.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: pdf 1985.pdf (417.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-14-2022, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Thanks much, Richard! I built the Revell version of this car years ago, and have since lost it. Nice to have a chance to build one of them again.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
Thanks much, Richard! I built the Revell version of this car years ago, and have since lost it. Nice to have a chance to build one of them again.
I'm happy to help! Let me know if you have any questions, or hit any snags.

I hope the assembly process is straightforward for the most part. I've included a parts list that might come in handy.

I've also attached pics of the assembled spoiler, as the way those parts (29-31) fit together is not obvious from the layout.

Parts 8 through 11 might be a bit tricky as well. They provide the 'chamfer' between the sides of the car and the hood/greenhouse.

I find that for sharp corners/edges in sheet metal, it's better to use glue tabs that are integral to the panels, but for curved bits, I prefer glue tabs that are separate from the surface pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
1985 Daytona 24 Hours Class Winner-edit1.jpg   1985 Daytona 24 Hours Class Winner-edit2.jpg   1985 Daytona 24 Hours Class Winner-edit3.jpg  
Old 08-12-2022, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you for such a beautiful paper model!

śmieciarka - Jelcz 315
Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2023, 05:56 PM

After a lengthy delay, I'm posting the 1987 winner.

I've worked on a few other projects in the meantime, some paper, some plastic.

The main hangup with this model was the lack of photographic documentation, as well as its apparent inconsistency.

Some photos from the race looked like this:
Roush Ford Mustang | Drivers: Lyn St. James, Scott Pruett, T… | Flickr

While other photos looked like this:
RSC Photo Gallery - Daytona 24 Hours 1987 - Ford Mustang no.11 - Racing Sports Cars

Most of the decals present at the start of the race were gone by the end of it, while it looks like the enterprising folks at BBS made sure that new decals were put on the car after the old ones wore off. Also, the Mustang C-pillar trim present at the start of the race was replaced by Capri C-pillar trim at some point during the race, for reasons unknown.

I would love to know what happened to the car during the race.

This was the third of ten class wins at Daytona in ten attempts by Roush Racing. The Mustang GTO here finished 7th overall, and was the highest finisher after Porsche's 962s, which swept the top 6 spots.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1987.pdf (522.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-15-2023, 06:02 PM

Next up is the 1988 Merkur XR4Ti; I was rather fond of this quirky car as a kid.

The spoiler is going to be a bit of a challenge.