PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Wow Mike! That is creative, you obviously aren't taking the easy road and leaving them smooth like I did... I rather like your first go without the side stripes as the thick card shows but you have gone even further...amazing.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
On Treads...,

Treads are an interesting problem. The European method is to cut each tread out and apply it to the tire piece by piece (or as a strip applique as in your first attempt). They then coat the tire with several coats of gesso that "flows" sharp corners into a more rubber like mold radius'. Note that the external edge of the tread where it is wears against the road is fairly crisp which is accomplished by a light sanding till they're crisp (which implies the use of the lath turning method ).

The new method seems to have been "extruded" out of the paper track of the first attempt and then "cut" to correct tread depth (CAD perspective here). You'll have to reverse the tire on the mandrel to remove the burr left on the trailing edge due to sanding but it should work if you can get the tread hard enough. Seems a bit complex, but what the hey, it's worth a try...,

+Gil
Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
...Seems a bit complex, but what the hey, it's worth a try...
Complicated? Perhaps…..but is it too anal?

Looks like plan “B” is going to be the more successful of the two attempts. I adjusted the size of my pattern tool and fabricated a new mat of treads (left with the first try on the right):

Notice the refinements: smaller with better spacing. Using CA glue, I attach the mat one tread at a time, using the glue applicator the whole while, as I wanted to avoid the too much CA glue issue from before:

I ended up with 13 evenly spaced treads, one more than was needed. No doubt that was due to my complete lack of understanding of geometry:

Oh well. Just means I’ll have 26 rows instead of the requisite 24. Not sure it’s worth a readjust at this point. Made sure there was enough CA everywhere and turned it down on the dremel:

Not too bad. Next step is to fill in the intermediate treads with pieces cut out the same way using the same tool as the first wave of treads, then shape it all to the final dimensions.

So far so good…..

Mike
Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
No doubt that was due to my complete lack of understanding of geometry.
Hope not you being an architect and all. :D

Tire and the treads look fine and the missing tread parts propably will strenghten the structure for filing and sanding. Very sharp build. Congrats.

Tappi
Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 AM

What He Said...,

"Anal" was there but was edited out when one of the saner sides prevailed (the tolerant voices of ancient English teachers drumming the stuff in highly resistant matter)...,

Anyone who even comes close to this type of thread receives my undivided attention and admiration not so much for the entertainment value but that they are able to "step out over the edge" seeking a better solution. The fact that we get to look over your shoulder is pure
"framboise au creme"...,

+Gil

Post Scriptum: Please to continue...,
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2010, 02:30 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Looking good Mike! Going to be fun watching this, if the treads are any indication of the rest of the build (which I'm sure they are).
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 08-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
Hope not you being an architect and all
No Tappi, it's not as bad as all that (although I am lazy and let ACAD do all the "heavy lifting" in that regard). No, where it's truly sad is when I have to help the boy with his math homework. THEN I learn how much I've forgotten....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmags View Post
......Going to be fun watching this.....
Thanks Chris. I hope you enjoy the ride. This isn't the most "sexy" of projects, but they can't all be slick fighter jets, eh? Maybe some good technique will come of this just the same....

Quote:
"Anal" was there but was edited out when one of the saner sides prevailed (the tolerant voices of ancient English teachers drumming the stuff in highly resistant matter)...,
I know Gil, I was just yanking yer chain a bit. You're one of the rare breed of guys on here who "gets it" (I'll let you decide what that means), so I knew where I could "tread" (hey, there's a pun for ya'). But needless to say, I'm delighted to have you look over my shoulder any time. Let's have a peek now....

Plan "B" is definitely the plan to take. I added the intermediate treads, and turned the whole thing down:

It wasn't a complete success, but it revealed to me where I needed to adjust, and I think I can now turn to production (well, at least make four good ones). First thing noted, two treads flew off in dramatic fashion, leaving a "toothless look" to one quadrant:

There's no sign they were even there, which says to me that I lost track of where I was applying CA glue to anchor everything down, and missed those last two. So mark the starting point of CA application - check. Next, it took a long time to sand down the sides (I didn't even bother with the other side), so the next note is to reduce the side tread depth - check. Lastly, the extra two treads makes everything look a bit crowded, so I will be adjusting the CAD to print patterns that gets the whole circumference to the target 24 treads. I already figure out where I went wrong when setting up the first set of treads patterns, so this last step will probably be the easiest of the three "adjustments" - check.

But even with the excess treads, I think it's a vast improvement compared to the first attempt:

Onward and upward!

Mike
Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Amazing! And I was so pleased at simply notching the edges of my T1E1 tracks.

Fascinating, and definitely framboise, if not pêches.

Cheers!

Don
Old 08-23-2010, 12:28 AM

Ok...,

Throwing treads is not allowed! Even if they're supper knobbies!..., Geez, what brand of CA are you using anyway?...,

Actually they could be used as paddle wheels though they do have the look of radial compressor fans.

The sound of disintegrating tires on a high RPM Dremel tool is really a pretty neat sound. Kind'a like "Fahwwwwaaaaaaapppppp!".
Then you look around to see if you've been hit and then to see where in the hell it went. I'm still finding long lost RPM escapes when cleaning up the shop...,

Une fois de plus
Monsieur! or, Once more sir!...,

+Gil

Last edited by Gil; 08-23-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
.....Geez, what brand of CA are you using anyway?....
Just the every day blue label "Bob Smith" brand that every hobby store in the world (whether virtual or "brick and mortar") has their name printed on the back:

The bottle I'm using these days has "Hobbylinc.com"on the label. I order with the from time to time as they carry every friggen' type of glue there is including that black gap filling CA stuff. Just click on the "Glues" link......

Mike