PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 09-10-2010, 07:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
From what I've always read, Keokuk's flaws were in her armor; it just couldn't handle explosive shells or heavy projectiles, and her higher freeboard made her an easier target for fixed fort-based guns.

Wyvern
Old 09-10-2010, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Very modern and submarinish looking design for 1862. CT, what about turning loose of the Palmetto as a waterline model for us to purchase. I would like to have the same ship in 2 different scales. Might not ever finish either but it would be fun to work in the larger scale to improve my skills in the smaller scale.

Joe
Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I found a model of the Palmetto State in a hobby store in Portland, OR. I think it was 1/185 scale, and the asking price was $150 if I remember right. I had the beginning build of the USS Canonicus from Avery and ECardmodels, and mentioned the fact to the hobby shop owner that it costs $9 plus a little money for ink. That's how I got the invite to the plastic model club meeting where I started my Sea Shadow build.

Yes, CT should release the Palmetto State in 1/72 scale (I just found a great rust weathering kit for it) AND the USS Keokuk. How dare he sleep and have a family/professional life until our demands are met! (Just kidding, and want to point out CT's generosity in designing all these wonderful ships.)
Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Found a picture of the 11" salvaged from the USS Keokuk. It's found here.

Enjoy!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good subject and a fair amount of research info on it too:

U.S.S. Keokuk - Budget Ironclad (1862)

Terry
Google Adsense
Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Well, I need to add the boats and davit, some anchors and chains. But it might make a model, we'll see...
Attached Thumbnails
USS Keokuk, was it really a bad plan?-autosave_uss-keokuk.jpg  
Old 01-14-2011, 05:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
I'v always liked the Keokuk, and something very similar (if not the same plan) was offered to Confederate Secretary Mallory in 1861. Just think what might have been had the South constructed a fleet of Keokuks.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
There may have been a vested economic interest in buying Monitors. The ship was in pretty close, closer than the other ships, a lot closer. If her turrets were made after the fashion of the Monitors, being able to rotate, rather than have to shoot through 3 ports, she might have had a better chance. Who knows? I just amazed how many of these ships were built by each side, and the effect it had on the Navies of the world.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Keokuk Commercial Model

There is a commercial resin model of the USS Keokuk in 1/96th scale. It looks nice but ....

Keokuk

... the model costs about as much as a new printer, or several large capacity disk drives, or about 1/2 the price of a good entry level laptop computer, or a month's worth of groceries, or a weekend stay including Sunday brunch, in a nice hotel in a mid sized city, or a lot of second hand tools which I can use and then resell without a huge loss.

I recently splurged and purchased a paper model of the Monitor, thousands of parts, that I may never build because of its frightening complexity, but its price including shipping was about half the price of a set of refill ink cartridges for my printer, or about the price of a hard back book.

And if I ever do summon up the courage to build it, the final model would look as nice as a resin model, and will have provided more hours of entertainment with less mess. I also find it easier to give away a completed paper model than a plastic one, both psychologically (I do not have a lot of cash invested in it) and in terms of finding someone who actually wants it.

In the meantime, it does not take a lot of space to store, and the graphics are nice to look at.

I do not want to be guilty of a thread hijack, but just want to encourage you to create a Keokuk, if it is simple and you feel not up to "great paper model standards" , you have an appreciative audience who would enjoy it as a free download, if it turns out to be a minor masterpiece, then there are a lot of us who would be willing to purchase it.

In 1/72 PDF, but downscalable to 1/96th, or 1/100th ( a common ship scale) with turret internal detail, it would be be interesting project.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Thanks for the input guys. I have gotten a bunch of info from Kaz and others, and will be remaking the Keokuk in much more detail, both in 1/250 waterline and 1/72 scale full hull. It will not be soon however, as I am just now wrapping up my 1/72 scale CSS Palmetto State.