PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Corey,

I look forward to this. I like the 1/250, but I think this ship lends itself nicely to 1/72 scale. I'll be following this project with great interest. Thanks for taking up this project.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
This is aimed at 1:72? Man, that would be a primo model!

Carl
Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
I shall look forward to a 1/250th Keokuk. I wonder what Porter and his draughtsman would have made of the design had Mallory accepted it ?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 AM

Zathros, remember the turret was an untried concept at sea, and there was an incredible (to us) resistance on both sides of the Atlantic to the idea. I don't think - it says here - that there was a vested commercial interest in building "monitors". Just that after Monitor proved herself in Hampton roads, Galena, with armour on the same principle as Keokuk failed dismally in the James, the USN proceeded with what seemed a good idea at the time. Had Monitor failed dismally against Virginia, the USN might weel have produced fleets of Keokuks. Such are the wims of fate.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
When I look at pictures on the Monitor, it almost makes me wonder why they ever took it out of the harbor. I do remember reading that the Monitor Turret had to be constantly greased because of rusting, and I doubt that it was sealed very well against water awash on the decks, no big rubber O-rings.

I should have stated that better. I meant the interests of the Union Navy in keeping costs down, as opposed to going with what they didn't know. They were pretty cautious on how much gunpowder they even allowed the Monitor's guns to load up on. I do remember the alternating layers being described as "dismal". I think it's high time for the History or Discovery channels to do a more thorough mini series of these ships. There were so many of them. CT Ertz could do the consultation. I've learned more reading his threads than from anywhere else. Once I have the key words, then it becomes easier to Google the actual events. Good work.
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2011, 04:23 AM

Ok. I see what you mean. There was a thick brass ring on the deck to which the turret wall fitted. it probably did the job when it was new, but after it became worn I wouldn't think it was very watertight. Hadn't heard about greasing the armour to stop rust, I assumed it was painted every so often. Good idea about History or Discovery channels, but it's a very minority interest and they'd taking one hell of a lot of persuading. I'd be happy to act as consultant for the Confederate ironclads.