PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Your sure welcome,
28, White Hull Vessel, has not went to ecards just yet. there will be some changes as per the test build.
CT
Old 07-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
The first Confederate ironclads, Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee I, and Louisiana were intended to have seagoing capability. Virginia and Louisiana almost certainly would not have been able to do so without radical alteration.

The later ironclads,Jackson, Columbia, Virginia II, Texas, Wilmington (North Carolina) and the uncompleted designs at Richmond, were all intended to have estuarial and coastwise capabilities at least, they were really too big and deep draught for riverine warfare.

Interestingly, of those that did get into coastal waters, the Charleston Richmond class were uncomfortable in a chop even in Charleston harbour, whereas Raleigh of the same class was quite comfortable at sea, as were Tennessee II, Columbia and Atlanta in Union hands. `

Atlanta, as Triumph in the Haitian Navy was lost at sea, but as her wreck has not been found, we don't know why.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Interesting that ships built so similar would have such radically different sea going capabilities.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
I'v thought a lot about this, I can only think it was perhaps shipyards using different types of timber, or perhaps Palmetto State, Chicora, and maybe Charleston were built with heavier scantlings than the Porter design called for. It maybe that the Charleston ICs were armoured with heavier iron to the same thickness, which may have been from England. We will maybe never know.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
CT I Downloaded the files for the improved Albemarle and have started construction. This is my first paper model in a while and I am very surprised at how rigid the base spine and support uprights are. The base is laminated, the spine in place and the supports are going in. So far everything is a great fit. I am taking a breather from a 40 inch wingspan RC plane I am doing in Balsa and Tissue. This is a great diversion and I also have your CSS Huntsville that I got from Ecardmodels that I will do soon. Thanks for the beautiful models you have designed.
MarkP
Google Adsense
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Thanks Mark. Feel free to post pictures. Also, as with most Confederate vessels, feel free to add your own details. Chains or ropes for anchor lines, and so on. Remember to download the Confederate Flags page in the downloads as well to add to the model. I am glad that you are enjoying it.
CT