PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 06-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale

OK, her is the "improved Albemarle" which wasn't an Albemarle in fact, and acording to "Rebleatsea" was it built by Elliott.

John Wallis has this to say about this ronclad,
"The vessel was 153ft oa x 36ft ex x 9ft draught, 708 tons.Protection was to be 4" iron, her intended ordnance is unknown. Designed possibly by John L Porter, constructed by an unknown builder at Tarborough, moved to the Roanoke River for completion either at Edward's Ferry or Rainbow Bluff. Laid down mid 1864 but not completed. Ordered by Secretary Mallory to be ready for service in 1865 as an "improved Albemarle" which as caused confusion to Researchers ever since.
The weatherdeck and casemate extended 2 feet each side over the hull proper.
Casemate slope was increased to 30 degrees whilst the hull armour and backing was added in a belt outside the hull and under the overhang. The hull featured a new feature in the "spoon" stern. it is not thought that she had the new quarterdeck form as seen in "Wilmington". She was burned to avoid capture in early 1865, but not before a US army officer had examined and drawn the ship in the Roanoke river, It is his drawing that the attached plan is based on."

That being said, I got a digital model done and will work on parts. Again, this is a full hull model with water line only option. I am unsure of the placement and number of ships boats. Also, the red bottoms will probably"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale-improved-albemarle-post-1.jpg

"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale-improved-albemarle-post3.jpg

"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale-improved-albemarle-post4.jpg be changed to black tar.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
These ships were so cool looking, bet they looked wild in the water at night like maybe giant crocodiles.......Rich
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM

"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale-improved-albemarle-post4.jpg A few more pics. Note the sleek look!

"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale-improved-albemarle-post8.jpg The four inch armor at a 30 degree sloop.

"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale-improved-albemarle-post5.jpg The belt designed to protect against ramming and torpedoes is plainly visible.

"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale-improved-albemarle-post6.jpg the twin screws.

"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale-improved-albemarle-post7.jpg

Last edited by ct ertz; 06-27-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
With 9ft draught, cam it goes open sea or it is just for river?

Funny the 1800's ironclad looks like a stealth ship. Or maybe stealth ships took lessons from ironclad?
Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 129.82 MB
Hello, Allen!

No, these ships were for river and inshore warfare only; their minimal freeboard would prohibit a usage in open sea.
The stealth concept owns nothing to the citadels of the civil war era, their purpose was to deflect cannon balls, that of the modern ships is to deflect RADAR.

Kind regards,
Papercaptain
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2011, 01:39 PM

Hello Allen,
A few low free board ironclads did make open ocean voyages after the Civil War, but they were designed and used mainly for river and coastal use. One of the problems was, with such low free board, the ship could not be fought in heavy seas. Those post war voyages by some were done only by stopping up all ports including gun ports! But used as designed, they did rather well, both North and South.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 PM

First parts page for the water line model kit, some text correction is needed but a good start.
Attached Thumbnails
"improved Albemarle" full hull 1/250 scale-improved-albemarle-parts1.jpg  
Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, USA, one state away from Almost Heaven.
Total Downloaded: 0
That is so cool. I am looking for a full hull boat to try at some point, and I am fascinated by the ironclads. Your design work is an inspiration, as well. I look forward to building this someday!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 PM

OK, for those who want, number 33 is up in the free downloads as a waterline only model. If you want the whole full hulled detailed version you will need to wait until I get it done, tested and up over at ecardmodels. For now enjoy this free be. Be sure to let me know what you think of it.
CT
Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Thanks for the number 33. I also acquired 29 through 32 yesterday. Now I have got to finish 28. Where there any revisions to 28 when it went to ecardmodels?
Joe
Google Adsense