PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
not my usual ironclad...

While taking a brake from laying out the parts for the two Confederate turret ships, one from the Tifts and the other from Warren, I had an itch to scratch. So I started on an armored car from the 1930s. Here is my start, with out the turret. it has a 13.5mm gun and a smaller machine gun in the turret, and also has two drivers stations, one rear facing as well as the normal front facing seat. It had four gears forward and four gears in reverse. Any clues as to what it might be?
CT
Attached Thumbnails
not my usual ironclad...-laffly-80am-1post.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Oh yeah!!! Some folks over at Zealot were just asking about such a vehicle, hint, hint!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
What is it about people like us? I've always wanted to have a go at an armored car of some type. Just haven't got around to it yet. I have no idea what yours is, but it's looking way cool. Can't wait to see more progress.

[email protected]
Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Having done little in wheeled vehicles before, I am finding this a bit of a challenge. Because of this, the scale will be small for a car/truck model, 1/72 scale. This way I can fudge a bit on the detailed undercarriage without detracting from the model to much.
CT
Old 09-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Thanks Avery. You should have a go at one. i was actually quite amazed at the amount of info/blueprints/3-way drawings available on armored cars, compared to, say, ACW ships!
CT
Old 09-07-2011, 08:21 PM

No rudder? No pilothouse to shoot away? I am soooo confused.

'Duster
Old 09-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Well, it will have view ports and it does have iron armor riveted or bolted in place. But no rudder, no stack.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Hmmm. Looks Russian. Maybe a BA 10 or 20? Glad to see you trying this one!
Chris
Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Well, the turret is kicking my butt. It has a bunch of odd panels.

Anyhow, it is a Laffly 80AM from 1935 and a couple were still in use in Algeria as late as 1955. Only a small number were made, and I think it was the last from Laffly. Several were captured by Germans at the start of the war.

I intend on offering plenty of "deck clutter" for this one as with my ship ironclads. These cars were often loaded up with a pick, shuvel, sand mats, ammo boxes, buckets, gas cans and all kinds of other items the crew may need. Cammo will be a simple green and a some what green and light green serpentine stripe.

Back to it.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
not my usual ironclad...-laffly-80am-1-post3.jpg   not my usual ironclad...-laffly_80am_1934.jpg   not my usual ironclad...-laffly_80_am-25692.jpg   not my usual ironclad...-p1.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Excellent choice! Great looking AC and of course I'll be desperate to build it! Can't wait!
Chris
Google Adsense