PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 12-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN

My MAAD has kicked in again. (Model Attention Deficit Disorder) With the Alexandria in test build, the Marietta and Snag Barge done, and progress on a number of other models, I am adding another.

This unnamed vessel was built at Oven Bluff Alabama and seemed to have been completed despite the malaria outbreaks at that ill fated shipyard. It was said to be a Morgan class gunboat, 180 feet between perpendiculars, and around 200 feet overall. It's engines were made at the Navel Ironworks in Columbus Ga. I took a guess at the guns, putting the popular Brookes rifles on a for and aft pivot and augmenting that with a pair of old 9 inch shell guns. As with most Morgan Class ships, this one was probably designed with out a pilot house, one being added later. This ship, like most of the Confederate Navy, was burned to prevent capture at wars end. This vessel was one of 10 Morgan Class ships planned or built during the war.

Because so little is know, I had a bit of fun with this one. I left off the upper masts, and many river craft had there masts shorten or removed. The guns, as stated, are a guess, and other details are used that are known to be common to such ships. I also filled in the space between the main deck and the upper deck with a bulkhead, effectively enclosing a larger deck house.

This will be a waterline kit in 1/250 scale and would be a great addition to the CSS Peedee, showing some of the non-ironclad style home built Confederate ships.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-1.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-2.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-3.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-4.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 128.43 MB
Very interesting project, I like it.
The development is perfect, the details are good, looking forward to the sequel.
Good luck! Joe
The PeeDee is made ...
Old 01-01-2012, 08:23 AM

Thanks Joe. The Morgan class ships, or "protected cruisers" are cool. Not true ironclads but iron protected in part. Much is owed to John Wallis and Kaz for helping me out with research on these.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:26 PM

This model is about ready for test building. It has exploded into 4 pages of parts as there is a lot of details. I will have some more shots of it soon.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM

Some shots of the Oven Bluff vessel.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-6.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-7.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-8.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-9.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-10.jpg  

Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Hi Corey, that was quick !! I suspect that, as with the ICs, different constructors produced variations on a theme, although they had less opportunity with the Morgans due to the type being abandoned in favour of the ICs.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
By the way, I've seen drawings showing the space amidships as both hollow and as you have depicted, surrounded by a bulkhead, making a large cabin amidships. I think the latter makes sense as they were intended to cruise in coastal waters so some crew accommodation would have been required.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 AM

High Rebleatsea!
I chose the Oven Bluff Vessel to play with because of the limited info available. I have the Gaines about done to, and will include both the open pilot stand and a simple inclosed pilot house as well. The Gaines is most often shown as open amid ships, so I will go that rout.

These ships are fun and a guy can get carried away with details! I just hope I didn't over do it at this scale.

CT
Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
CT, is it my imagination or have you fired the young woman that used to walk around on your ships in the design process. It appears that you now have like a real navy feller. I hope you had a fair and open interview process before you hired this guy since he did take the place of a female.
Joe
Old 01-03-2012, 12:41 PM

Good eye Joe, but it is actually the same young woman dressed as a CSN sailor.

So, I got the faux paddlewheels on, and All of the parts are broke down. I am gimping it today and it should be ready to build tonight.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-11.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-12.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-13.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-14.jpg   Oven Bluff Vessel, Morgan Class, CSN-oven-bluff-post-15.jpg