PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
#47, Tift small river ironclad, 1862

I skipped a head a bit, and I am taking a quick break from the compounds of the river steamers to work on this ironclad. The pland were drawn up in December of 1861 by E.M. Ivens and John Clark, and proposed to the Tift Brothers for building. The Tift Brothers calculated that they could have built two of these small ironclads with the left overs they would have from their work on the the Mississippi, and so had engines salvaged for the purpose. Boilers where ordered, and slips constructed.

Had the ships been made, they would have been constructed in the same blocky and simple manner as the Mississippi, but would have been 200 feet long overall by 50 feet in beam. The casemate, slanted at 30 degrees and protected by 4 inches of iron, would contain up to six guns, the four corner guns on pivots.

I will soon be looking for a test builder for this, then back to those curvy river boats!
Attached Thumbnails
#47, Tift small river ironclad, 1862-tift-ric-post1.jpg   #47, Tift small river ironclad, 1862-tift-ric-post2.jpg   #47, Tift small river ironclad, 1862-tift-ric-post3.jpg  
Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I just can't get over how similarly stealthy these ships look compared to modern ships. It even looks like missile hatches on the top of the casement!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Some one could "steam punk" these into some crazy ships!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Now you are on to something!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Oh no. Now the brain is working. NEVER a good thing.

.........Aerogelclad Zeppelins.......

I'll get right on it.
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2012, 05:46 PM

OK, here is a shot of some of the parts. I am about ready for a test builder. This kit includes an option for a full gundeck, including pilot house. Smallish parts.

Any takers PM me.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
#47, Tift small river ironclad, 1862-tift-ric-post4.jpg  
Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Hi Corey, Just working on your turretship download. I've taken the liberty of recoloring the hull sides, turret and pilot house into light grey, and added a few bits and pieces. I'll put some shots of the complete model on here when done. You have forestalled me with the "small Mississippi"as I was going to use the turretship hull to do my own !