PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
In over my head on this tank...

Here is my next tank design. I am attempting to add a bit of detail to it regarding the tracks but it is a bit more complicated then I thought. I am unsure how much is needed on 1/72 scale any how. I can hardly believe how small the tanks were in the 1920s and 30s. This little 3-man crew tank was actually used against Germany in WW2.
Attached Thumbnails
In over my head on this tank...-post-1.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
The hull looks a lot like a Vickers 6 Ton tank, which would make the model you're designing most likely a T26, either the early twin-turret (one turret with MG, other turret with 37mm antitank gun) version or the earliest of the single turret 45mm gun versions.
I honestly don't think you'll find the suspension and roadwheels difficult: they are essentially direct copies of the Vickers 6 ton Tank original.

Ironically perhaps; the greatest difficulty you may encounter is likely to be with one of the most obvious details seen, if you elect to option a Command version of the tank in either 1 or 2 turret form.
That detail is the "frame" radio aerial/antenna mounted on the hull in the 2 turret version, or around the circumference of the upper turret in the 1 turret version. The part is both intricate and fiddly, and there was a huge variation in mounting bracket styles and locations, according to production batch and location of factory.

In 1:72 scale though, practically anything that you decide looks decent and is consistent with existing illustrations and photographs will be more than adequate.
I'm certain you are more than capable of producing a very fine model of the vehicle, and I do not at all think you to be "in over your head", Corey.
It is going to be most interesting to see this vehicle kit evolve as a model, Corey my friend, and I am certainly going to enjoy keeping up with this thread.

Kind and Respectful Regards Corey my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:31 AM

You are quite right Uyraell,
It is the Vickers six ton with the double turret. I liked it because I can add many options such as the huge vent scoops behind the turret and the optional single turret.

I am pretty sure I can get the tracks done in digital modeling but breaking everything down into such small parts may be a challenge for me, and for the builder.

On this same model I can also add the built up back and for the Polish army version as well. Like I said, many options.

CT
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 PM

Here is the simplified track system. It will be simple layered up pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
In over my head on this tank...-post-2.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
That track system looks to be mighty good, Corey my friend.
It captures the original shapes very neatly, and being layered-up as you intend, it should provide no issues of concern to the builder who has reasonable skills.
I particularly like the bogie-carrier arms, you've caught that arc of curve very neatly indeed.

Kind and Respectful Regards Corey my friend, Uyraell.

"Honi-Soit Qui Mal'Y Pense."
"Ill unto He who ill of it thinks."
- Ed.III Rex Britaniam, AD1348.
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2012, 04:22 PM

OK, getting on with it. The double turrets with machine guns only. I can see where this thing would be hell coming on you if you had no tanks yourself. The twin turrets would be able to tear stuff up.
Attached Thumbnails
In over my head on this tank...-post-3.jpg   In over my head on this tank...-vickers_pol13b.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The single turret with rail antenna was a Russian T-26 variant.

I've read that the twin turret idea was a hang over from WW1 - the twin turrets were so that a tank could bridge a trench and fire in both directions down a trench. To me, it looks as if the person who thought that up had no idea of the layout of trenches. There were only short straight sections in WW1 trenches.

The 6-ton tank wasn't accepted by the British Army although a few were used as training tanks at the start of WW2. The Russians built lots (11,000) as the T-26 - did quite well in the Spanish Civil War, slaughtered by the Panzers in 1941.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 PM

Well, the Polish army was in the midle of replacing all the double turret tanks with single turrets armed with a cannon but the Germans came. Some of the double turret tanks were used but in the end it didn't matter, all of the Polish Vickers were destroyed during the invasion.

Here are some more shots. I am getting there.
Attached Thumbnails
In over my head on this tank...-post-4.jpg   In over my head on this tank...-post-5.jpg   In over my head on this tank...-post-6.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM

I hope that this isn't getting too complicated at 1/72 scale. I am going to make a printed box style track as an easy out for those who are like me and do not have nimble enough fingers for the small parts. here is a shot of the sprocket drive and the top rollers, the diagram and the parts. Will they build? Don't know...They are small though.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
In over my head on this tank...-vickers-mark-e-diagram-track1.jpg   In over my head on this tank...-vickers-mark-e-diagram-track2.jpg   In over my head on this tank...-post-7.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM

Here are some parts of the rear wheel. I think this will work. Not a fan of the half axil style like this myself but it looks like it will work. I assume that this was just a free rolling wheel to keep the track moving.
Attached Thumbnails
In over my head on this tank...-post-8.jpg   In over my head on this tank...-vickers-mark-e-diagram-track3.jpg