PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 08-16-2009, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
The stack and other parts are up in the downloads now. This includes the smoke stack, new sides with a better color, and gun port shutters. Enjoy!
CT
Old 08-16-2009, 07:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 179.33 MB
ct where do the boat davits go.
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...ronclad003.jpg
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...ronclad001.jpg
http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...ronclad002.jpg

pics a little fuzzy gary
Old 08-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Wow, it actually worked. Did the cannons work OK, or are the gun ports too high/gun carriages too low?

The boat davits are not on the plans, but the period drawings show then on the aft deck, at the dge of the wooden part, so the boats hang outboard. These would be lowered and towed when going into action. I included two anchor davits, however, on center one may be used instead. The top deck may have had ailing around the edge as well. You model looks great! Thanks for the pictures.

CT
Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
This model looks really good! Congratulations on your design. I really love US history and anything I can build just adds to my enjoyment. Thanks a bunch!

Best Regards,
Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Downloaded and looking forward to a nice build of the CSS Virginia. Have you done much research on this vessel. She was a true threat to the Union. Are you up to suggestions? Scale her up, your work is great and put a detailed interior in her. How about 1/72?Rick
Google Adsense
Old 08-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I think she would look damn fine in 1/72 (especially alongside the two WW2 Russian monitors I have on the to-do stack - not only are the shapes relatively simple, but the interiors would be quite dark and easily crewed by refugees from ACW artillery sets in that scale. Keeping her as a waterline model would ease the complexity as well and the trick would be tom resist the tempation for separate strips to represent the wooden plansk and steel armour...
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Oh Yea, that got the creative juices to flowing.Rick
Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Thanks guys,
On the research end of things, the Virginia II had good big cannons and ok engines, and the armor was, though limited, well used. She was surely out classed by the Union's Monitors, however, on a number of occasions she did trade shots with the turreted beasts. The real threat she proposed was agenst land forces. just as the big guns of Union gun boats stopped The Confederates advancement at Shiloh, the Virginia and several other ironclads could and did shell Union land positions, making it dangerous for the Norther troops to utilize thee river with out ironclad potection of their own.

I would love to scale these up,and add more details such as the bolt heads, and individual plank and armor plate options, as well as more detailed trucks for the cannon and the interior beams,so a model could have more depth. Most Confederate ram casement style ironclads were small, under 200 feet, so 1/72 scale would be doable!

Right now I am still working on ft and directions! Any feed back is real helpful and pictures are always a hoot!

Remember to get the extra parts (forgotten parts) page from the down loads as well!

Avery is working on my CSS Wilmington, and I have the CSS Fredericksburg about half done on the computer. I am having a blast.

CT
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 179.33 MB
ct cannons i rolled and the look good. they can be posed straight out or angled up just like real. holes are fine gary
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 AM

Thanks. I was afraid I put them too high. I am planning on putting together a spar torpedo PDF in the same scale for those who want it. Many Confederate ships had them along with their rams, but do to poor engines and poor stering ability, they were not really effective. The Albemarle had good engines so was able to ram the South Field, and the Virginia/Marimack was able to ram the Cumberland because the Cumberland had no engines. I do not know if any ram ever had a chance to use thier spar torpedos. But they look cool, so I will see about getting it together.

I have also made progress on my CSS Fredericksburg as well. Too much fun.

I have been thinking about the larger scale idea, and I may start with a cut-a-way style section of a typical Casement, sat one Brookes rifle on a pivot, thick wooden walls, two-three layers of plate. That kind of thing. At 1:"72 scale the things like wire rings for ropes and block and tackles are doable. Just thinking....
Google Adsense