PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Here's some photos of what I mean. The fore and aft gunports are positioned too low. These ironclads had to elevate their weapons to attack forts on the shore, not all battles were with ships.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2239.jpg   CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2240.jpg   CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2242.jpg  
Old 07-16-2010, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I I see where the front and aft ports are too low and will fix it. I must not have allowed for the extreme angle of the end ports.

The Gun ports on some ironclads were too small for much elevation, greatly restricting them. The USS Monitor for example could ot engage the Confederate guns on Drewy's Bluff because of elevation issues, and Confederate ironclads (many of them) had to wait until the range closed to within a mile to open fire, even though thier 7 inch rifled guns had far greater range if they could have been elevated.

On the other hand, ships like the Unions river ironclads and the Confederates CSS Arkansas had large gun ports, allowing for great range of elevation and viewing the enemy. The large openings also allowed enemy shells to come bouncing into the gun deck!

Anyhow, I will fix the ports and see if Chris will replace the old PDF with a new one.
CT
Old 07-16-2010, 08:41 AM

While you're fixing the gunports, I also noticed that you left out the holes in the casemate for the anchor chains. Seems like everybody that has built the model and published photos added the holes themselves, but they are missing on the model's sheets.

Additionally, the bands around the smokestack need to be slightly longer. I had a noticable gap when I wrapped them around the smokestack. I don't want to nit-pick, just trying to make a good model better.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2245.jpg   CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2244.jpg  
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM

Here's the finished C.S.S. Palmetto State, ready to take on those northern heathens:
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2248.jpg   CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2249.jpg   CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2250.jpg   CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2251.jpg   CSS Palmetto State 1-250 scale-104_2254.jpg  

Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Looks great! I was hoping that I would have the double ender ready for you, all I have left is the internal formers, but I had more work this week then expected. I have to work tomorrow afternoon but may be I will be able to get everything finalized in the morning and sent off to you. You are getting quite the fleet built!
CT
Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 AM

No rush in getting me the double ender, since I still have the Raleigh, Virgina II, Virgina/Marrimack, Dismal Swamp recolor, and the Tuscaloosa/Huntsville in line to be built. I'm having knee surgery next week, so I won't be going anywhere for a while.

I added built up ladders cut from a reprint of the deck to the CSS Palmetto State, and weathered her slightly with orange pastel chalk. I also added cross bracing to the stand to keep the simulated water surface from sagging.

The total build time was two days with lots of breaks. If I only had evenings to work on her it could easily built in a week. Just enough detail to make it a little challenging, I would recommend this kit for anybody with a little modeling experience. It would be great for a middle school history class project. At a cost of ZERO from epapermodels.com, I would recommend this kit to everyone.

Now, does anybody have a good source for 1:250 ship wheels and railings?