PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 10-10-2009, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
CSS Tuscaloosa & Huntsville

I am working on my design for the CSS Stonewall and finishing parts pags for the CSS Palmetto State in 1/72 scale, but as happens, I got side tracked. I am about down with a 1/250 waterline model of the CSS Tuscaloosa, a 153 foot long Confederate ironclad. The Tuscaloosa was used mostly as a floating batterey to block/protect rivers as the engines were so poor. This kit is a two for-as you also get the near identical ship Huntsville as well. It too was 153 footer with extremely poor engines. On a good day the iron clad batteries could make 5 knots. These ships had 4 guns each set up in a pattern similar to the Richmond class ironclads. Anyhow, I will be needing a test builder for this model/models. The model includes the guns, limited casement interior, and anchors. Some one who can post pictures on this thread and give me info on corrections and improvements! Any one interested can PM me. Please! Thank you,
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Tuscaloosa & Huntsville-css-tuscaloosa-modelpost.jpg   CSS Tuscaloosa & Huntsville-css-tuscaloosa-modelpost2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 89.45 MB
The Huntsville is of regional interest. All the time I've lived in north Alabama, I've never heard of that ship.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:35 PM

from what I read, both ships were well enough made but they had reel poor engines. They could not be used much and they propelled the ships real slow. Towing was the norm. They did get into some engagements though. Too bad for the south that they did not get good engines because they were built kind of sleek!

CT
Old 10-11-2009, 01:40 PM

OK, I went a bit wild on this. The model will contain both ships, with the option of doing a full interior with a cut a way wall. Her is the gun deck of the First one, the CSS Tuscaloosa. The blank areas are for the pilot platform with attached wenches and for the base of the stairs and funnel. Not the gun rings for the front and aft pivots and the skid base rings for the broad side guns. Also, the broad side guns were off set do to the narrowness of the ship. Options will include one large anchor or a pair of smaller anchors, and as mentioned the build will have the option for a full casement or for a cut a way wall.

The CSS Huntsville will look similar but there will be some differences as not two Confederate ships looked exactly alike (by law I think:p)

The kit also has two water bases as well for displaying the ships,and instructions/diagrams.

I still (sadly) have no takers on test building and picture taking:(. If you want to give this a try please PM me.

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Tuscaloosa & Huntsville-tuscaloosapost.jpg  
Old 10-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
With interior sounds exciting! Seeing as I am rather slow and unreliable with my building (three or four models in various stages of incompletion), I won't be able to volunteer.... But I look forward to seeing it being built!!!
Google Adsense
Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
CT, i know I haven't deliverd on Wilimington (though I've located the camera), but I'll take 'em on.

Wyvern
Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM

I am glad you found your camera! I will get the pdf off to you today, enjoy. Here is a shot of the cover page.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Tuscaloosa & Huntsville-css1tuscaloosa-huntsvillecover.postjpg.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Thanks buddy; I'll look forward to knocking them out for you and providing feedback on the fit. With only one casemate to make as opposed to two, hopefully they'll go pretty quickly!

Wyvern
Old 10-17-2009, 10:46 PM

I got the PDF all put together! 7 pages total, four card if you do the bases. The two ships together have over 200 parts including options!
CT
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM

OK Wyvern, looks like some one beat you to it! i look forward to your finished models a well. These pictures are of Greg's model of th Tuscaloosa. h did a great job!

Fore any one interested, this model will be available at www.ecardmodels soon. It will include the near sister ship Huntsville in the same kit, a two for one!
CT

Google Adsense