PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
This model is going to be 1/250 scale, however, I do plan on remaking most of my 1/250 scale models in 1/72 scale at some point.

CT
Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey, 1/250 is perfect. The scale I was hoping to work in someday would be 1/200 so there isn't a lot of concern for detail issues.

Thanks man, you ROCK!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:52 AM

Here is the second design in the kit, the barge hull configuration. Although under most circumstances. this hull would never be used for a true gun boat, it would work for a stable platform for a battery. The Georgia was built in 2 months time, and fitted out and ready to shoot in three! It is possible that do to a shortage of ship wrights in the area, a lack of communication with the CSN during construction, and the "hurry up, we need it now" fear amung Savannah citizens (many of whom had paid for the project) during construction, this style of hull may have been used. It would explain a lot about the poor handling and speed the Georgia ended up with. The up shot would be that it could carry heavy loads of ammo, guns and fuel, and by using its engines independently, it could pivot at its morings to help bring guns to bare. Any how, this will be the asiest of the hull configurations to build...

CT
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Georgia floating battery-georgia-2ndpost.jpg  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
I agree, but I don't think the hull would be red. Red lead, and maybe even grey paint would have been likely unavailable. Is there any evidence that she was painted? More likey they just slussed the casemate with grease, as was done with some other casemated ironclads
Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM

The Georgia was built early enough that the Savannah port may still of had access to materials. Red lead paint was used on a number of home built Confederate ships, so I decided to go with that. I think the ship was painted some sort of color in combination with a plaster made of iron filings and cement, as this was reported by a Soldier who witnessed some of the construction. Also, the Charleston Gunboats wee painted "blockade Runner Gray" in an harbor much more tightly blockaded the Savanna. The big question of coarse is how often any attempt was made to repaint or if that was even possible. Th CSS North Carolina sank at her moorings because the bottom rotted out and the CSS Baltic was scrapped because she was so dangerous to be on because of th constant fear of sinking. To build a gun boat in 1862 was one thing, to keep it up and running in 1864 was quite another. By the last year of servis I can see a much uglier color combination!

CT
Google Adsense
Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
I thought I'd revive this thread since there's plans to resurrect the original:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0505/Clamoring-for-the-future-Savannah-has-to-first-deal-with-the-wreck-of-the-CSS-Georgia

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2012/may/06/souths-ironclad-flop-is-poised-to-rise-again/

David T. Okamura
Old 05-07-2012, 02:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
The Palmetto State.

Corey, Palmetto State did indeed have an octagonal casemate
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Georgia floating battery-css-palmetto-state.jpg  
Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 AM

There was a ready supply of paint captured at the onset of the conflict, and coal tar was used too, This has anti rust properties and comes in all sorts of colours depending on the type of coal being used in the gasworks, ranging from black through to almost white.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 AM

I just hope the vessels recovery, if it can be done, doesn't prove us all wrong Corey !!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 AM

Well, If need be I will just make the "right" model based on new info. The dinosaur folks have been doing that for decades! More info is always good.

CT