PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
Coaling Barge

Where does one go to get a copy of the coaling barge. I am thinking that you could use it for anything as was done with the cannons and not be limited to the coal.

Thanks for any help with obtaining the barge.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I think Paper Ship Wright has one but I do not have the link.
CT
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.91 MB
Thanks to everyone for the ideas on in-scale coal.

jmr248, The coal barge is a freebie model on David Hathaway's website, it's part of the modular wharf/quay kit he has: Paper Shipwright - Card Models

it's the third download link at the bottom.

Hobby Blog: torakaze.blogspot.com
Old 08-30-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks once again to the members of this site for thier willingness to share information and resources. I appreciate the input from the many talented and gifted people and seeing what has been created using paper.

Joe
Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM

Haven't gotten much done on the Milladgeville. Been trying to figure out how to successfully make the bollards and am failing.

Building that dock from kartonbau.de that Knife linked to. So, here's Milly parked dockside with the coal barge. Have the tent awning, from a page of the CSS Ashley cut out. Going to try and make the steps up the casement like Knife did on his build of the Ashley, wish me luck! Heheh
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css_milladgeville_08.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Your mini dockside diorama looks like it is coming right along. Good luck on your planned casement steps, I think Knife has a contract with the Keebler Elves when it comes to stair construction, far too neat and perfect looking.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
For the bollards I think almost everybody uses cut down Q-tips (real Q-tips, not dollar store rip offs with plastic shafts). Snip off the ends, take a straight razor blade down the resulting rod, and peal back the paper until you get the right diameter. Then color with a magic marker and use a single edge razor blade to slice it into the desired length. Another dab of magic marker on the top of the resulting rod and it's ready to be glued on. I use an old cleaned out ink-refill syringe to put a dab of glue on the base plate, then use a pair of tweezers to position the bollard in place.

For the stairs, mine are far from perfect. I'm waiting for the 1/250 scale OHSA safety examiners to come in and declare them unsafe and not up to code. To make the stairs, I make the back "sawtooth" part by using a single edge straight razor blade to notch out the sawtooth. Then cut out the rest of the piece by aligning and pressing straight down through the part with the razor blade. A dab of glue on the casemate where you need it, then it's just a matter of going cross-eyed with a pair of tweezers. The steps are individually cut out with the single edge razor, put a dab of glue on the sawtooth part, and position the steps in place with tweezers. Start from the bottom step and work up.

Your diorama looks great. I like the haphazard positioning of the coal barge, makes it look dynamic.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:41 AM

Knife

Thanks for the how to on the bollards. I thought I was the only one having way to much fun trying to figure how they were made with the look that you and several others on this site attain.

Appears that I am doing ladders the same way as you but I still lack the skill, profiency and patience to achieve the desired results as of yet.

This is one of the great things about paper, try and if you do not like the results, throw the results and try again.

Joe
Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Knife, thanks much for that info!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM

This update to show how the casement steps went. I like them.

Also cutout a Davic Hathaway railing template and have started to learn how to make rails.

Then a dockside pic to show off the gangway with rails. Soon to be added are anchor ropes to the front, and awning posts to the aft deck. Plan to raid Magnus Morck's Albemarle kit for boat/anchor davits, to further my complete ripoff of Knife's prior work.

Still having problems with the bollards, oh well. Will eventually get two sets that look decent enough.
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css_milladgeville_09.jpg   CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css_milladgeville_10.jpg   CSS Milladgeville, 1/250 scale-css_milladgeville_11.jpg  

Google Adsense