PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > CT Ertz's projects

Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads

My new friend John Wallis has sent me some great information about ironclads, and, although I am incredibly behind on getting some other models out for people, (sorry Michael and Jeff) I had to get something done. This is a model of a Confederate ironclad designed to cruse the Dismal Swamp. Eight such vessels were ordered, none were known to be completed. Do to swamp depth and canal restrictions, these vessels were to be small. They pre-dated the Albemarle design and may have been based on Porters harbor defense steam battery. Thanks to John Wallis who is in the proses of writing a book on Confederate ironclads. I need at least two test builders to put this thing together and get pictures.
CT
Attached Thumbnails
Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-copy-dismal-swamp-vessel-cover.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I haven't built much lately, and would gladly volunteer as a beta builder. I always liked the sound of the "Great Dismal Swamp". There's still a missing A bomb somewhere in there.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 AM

I received the PDF file from ct ertz, and the design work is up to his usual standards. It has one cover sheet, one top and side view sheet, and two sheets of parts. My printer printed it slightly smaller than the inch scale on the sheet. I blasted the parts with Pledge floor polish so all my fingerprints and excess glue beads won't show.

Using a window to backlight the parts sheet I used a marker to color the interior of the smoke stack and the scrubber (air intake for you land-lubbers). I also creased the fold lines from the back side as an experiment.

I then cut out and glued together the various doubled parts. I then put the into my poor-man's press to let them dry flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-s5000001.jpg   Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-s5000003.jpg   Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-s5000002.jpg   Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-s5000004.jpg   Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-s5000001-2-.jpg  

Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 205.52 MB
The sheets look very clean and easy to use for us newbies. CT, will this vessel also be to 1/250 scale? Knife, I like the vessels on your window seal. Hopefully I will get to your level of assembly one of these days. Looking forward to seeing more.

Joe
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Off to a great start!
The Dismal Swamp Vessels will be available in 1/250 scale waterline, and one day (I hope) 1/72 scale full hulled version as well.
CT
Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Hi, I've only glanced at it as yet, but I think one Georgia version might make a conversion job to the Porter CDVs ordered by North Carolina, subsequently cancelled when the State joined the South. This design was the precursor to the "Dismals"
Old 07-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Another great addition to CT's Paperclad fleet!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:49 AM

John Wallis is compiling a wonderful work containing all kinds of research notes and clarification on some ships, such as the Dismal Swamp Vessels. His research is solid and his three way drawings are excellent. I just sent him a copy of this model for review. One day soon he will have his new book available (hopefully as an e-book). It covers a lot of ground, and I know it would sell well. It is his book that led me to make this model as well as the 'Selma Vessel" I am working on. I love the ones that are little known today, or were simply concept ships that the south planned but never finished.

Wyvern, my fleet numbers 17 now! Funny how fast things grow!

CT
Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Continuing with the construction, the instructions state to make the deck and base one layer thick. I thought that would make the deck too thin, so I doubled it to two sheets. The sides went together perfectly. The cannon and carriage is made from four pieces, went together with no problems. I'm thinking about making a cutaway version so you can see the interior parts once completed.

Note to CT: one thing that I would change is the color of parts 15, 18, 20, and 21. CT has modeled two colors of wood, one for parts exposed to the sun and another one for wood protected from the sun. Parts 15, 18, 20, and 21 should be the same color as the top of the casement, since they also would have been sun-bleached. In addition, on my printer the darker wood color prints out as more gold colored than wood colored. The dark wood needs more yellow in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-104_2202.jpg   Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-104_2204.jpg   Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-104_2205.jpg   Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-104_2206.jpg   Dismal Swamp Vessels, Civil War Ironclads-104_2207.jpg  

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM

Hello,
Great work! And good suggestions on the color. The wood struts for the awning in particular should be lighten to match the decking. By the way, A* are to be made with toothpicks or balsa, and B* is to be made with small chain or heavy thread. I am adding that to the parts list.
CT