PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Everything I build is outside my comfort zone.

And with the new academic year starting, a lot of work to be done on the book galleys and maps, preparation for a presentation at the Israeli Armor Association in TelAviv in September, and several other writing and lecturing tasks on the plate, I will probably be a bystander for this one.

But just in case the madness takes me, I will make a stab at the Paper Shipwright Peder Skram. WAY outside my comfort zone and probably beyond my ability!

Don
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Go Don, if you do..I was looking at shipyards Cleopatra....
Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 PM

I've actually been thinking of a sailing ship for some time, the Shipyard has some beauties. I don't think I could do any of them justice, at least not on the first attempt. (congrats on the gig for the coming year, Don)
Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Don - great choice, that's a nice model. About a thousand pieces but, it looks good with the 24cm (9.5" inch) guns. They look huge on such a small ship.

I hope you have time to build it, I would enjoy seeing it come together.

~ Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
Everything I build is outside my comfort zone.

And with the new academic year starting, a lot of work to be done on the book galleys and maps, preparation for a presentation at the Israeli Armor Association in TelAviv in September, and several other writing and lecturing tasks on the plate, I will probably be a bystander for this one.

But just in case the madness takes me, I will make a stab at the Paper Shipwright Peder Skram. WAY outside my comfort zone and probably beyond my ability!

Don
Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
All right, I'm in. I may not get too far with my overloaded schedule, but I'll give it my best. I had a fun time going through my boxes of kits (WAY too many), and decided several times on different choices. I was really tempted by a couple of MM sailing ships, some armor, and really tempted to get into the submarine selection. But no, I decided I'd go for something completely different.
I'm a Jules Verne fan, and I've done a few of the simpler models from the ABC Jules Verne special;
No Comfort and Joy Challenge-jv-abc.jpg
The model I've selected for this challenge is actually two models that go together. They are from two novels by Mr. Verne, "The Demon of Cawnpore" and "Tigers and Traitors". The models are of the Steam Elephant and the Steamhouse it pulls.
No Comfort and Joy Challenge-steam-house.jpg
The steam elephant is also a piggy (elephant) bank with the head on a pivot. When you put a coin in the howdah the head raises to drop the coin down into the body. Altogether it's 13 pages of the ABC typically packed parts with some of them being rather small, so this is definitely the most complex model I will have done...if I get it done!
I'll have to scan and print all the parts as the magazine paper is just too thin for me to work with comfortably. Should be interesting!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
great choice Chris
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Well, as I'm always building (experimental) planes, I might as well park my Allan Rose "half" Corvette here...:D
Attached Thumbnails
No Comfort and Joy Challenge-dsc04368.jpg  

Last edited by billy.leliveld; 07-31-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
I was looking at shipyards Cleopatra....
Talk about being out of my comfort zone! This model is certainly not one for the beginner (which I still consider myself).

I just recieved the same kit last week as part of a prize package from the free model contest that was held over on the Zealot forum. After flipping through it's many pages of tiny parts, I realized that my skills have a long way to go before I dare to attempt such a complex build. Never having built a model ship before, especially one with sails and so much rigging, I think I would be wise to first build one that's much less complex. I was thinking about building the "Wicked Wench" that's available as a free download from the "Disney Expierience" website for the next free model contest that's now being held over on the zealot forum. If it's okay with everyone, I'd also like to post my build here as well. This model looks like it will be alot of fun without all of the mind numbing details of the Cleopatra.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:36 PM

KC, you're the smart one, I haven't seen the kit yet.....but you probably have spent as much time as I have with fiddly bits (if not more)
Old 08-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
Outside my "comfort zone"?? So be it. For me that would involveprecision I imagine....:D

That aside I'm going with Make Your Own Working Paper Clock by James Smith Rudolph http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Work...rdr_bb_product

I've been intentionally avoiding but swear to complete it "AND" have it functional when done since I've heard a disturbing thing or two about building it from others. Review will follow upon completion.
Attached Thumbnails
No Comfort and Joy Challenge-pclock.jpg  
Google Adsense