PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 01-31-2009, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Heh, I built both Charle's Tiger and Douglas' 4TP.
Both are pretty decent, and didn't have any problems aside from my own incompetance.
The Tiger tracks though, come on regular, flimsy paper... pretty useless.

Don stole one of the MM's near the top of my pile.

By the end of June I'll be done school, so maybe I'll manage to make something.
I'm thinking the F-5E Tiger II
</title> </head> <TITLE>Mazowiecka Wojewódzka Organizacja Ligi Obrony Kraju
Old 01-31-2009, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharbad View Post
The Tiger tracks though, come on regular, flimsy paper... pretty useless.
Not so - the patterns are on 80gsm but the tracks are supposed to be laminated to "bristol" (*b is the marking on the parts) - probably 200 gsm will be ok. The track guide plates aren't marked as laminated but certainly should be.

Did you have problems with the swing arms twisting off the Tiger hull from the weight of the model? I'm thinking about reinforcing these - if the rules will allow it.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Really?
My tracks came on paper as thin as standard ruled office paper.
The printer paper I use is ~75 gsm, as a reference point, and it's heavier than what I'm talking about. I don't know paper weights all that well.

The whole tank was sort of buckling really. The barrel sagged under its own weight, which made it [err, not the barrel, but rather the bulk that's holding it right at the turret] clip the various accessories on the hull as you rotated it. I always blamed how I built it though, but if I were to remake it I definitely would reinforce everything.
I never made the ALL the wheels, so I don't know how much that would have helped.
I gave up somewhere.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Hmm, I've got the kit as well and some of the tracks are printed on the heavier paper, but the majority of them are on the really thin stuff (but marked with a *b as noted).
Glad you're tackling this one, Charlie. Someday I'll work up the courage, but not today!
Chris
Old 01-31-2009, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
I've got a number of old MM kits that the paper quality is old, bad and brittle. So can we use scans...please?? (If we show evidence of owning the original)
Also, how about modifying the kit? I've got a couple of early armor kits I'd consider, but only if I can use scans, layering and painting! Is that a possibility?
Chris
Well since I started this contest I guess I better make an executive decision on this.

We all know how the forum feels about piracy. There are lots of scans of these kits floating around. (Please no more discussion on this in this thread.) If you own the original kit, I think you should be able to scan it for the purpose of reprinting.

As for modifying. The original intent of the contest was to build an old kit that is hand drawn, poorly colored and may contain design issues. I think the build should be limited to the construction of the kit using only the parts provided in the numbers supplied.

I would like to keep the playing field level but if any one requires more discussion on these I would be willing to listen.
Google Adsense
Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Thanks for the clarification. It certainly cuts down the choices! I just have a hard time building the early kits without cockpit interiors (or even clear canopies!). I know even when they were originally released, modelers did their best to fix and paint these kits, but I understand your position.
And thanks for getting this one started! I hope it's as much fun as the first one!
Chris
Old 01-31-2009, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddlea View Post
Well since I started this contest I guess I better make an executive decision on this.

We all know how the forum feels about piracy. There are lots of scans of these kits floating around. (Please no more discussion on this in this thread.) If you own the original kit, I think you should be able to scan it for the purpose of reprinting.

As for modifying. The original intent of the contest was to build an old kit that is hand drawn, poorly colored and may contain design issues. I think the build should be limited to the construction of the kit using only the parts provided in the numbers supplied.

I would like to keep the playing field level but if any one requires more discussion on these I would be willing to listen.

I dunno, the nasty old paper is one of the traits that really make these kits a challenge (that and Bohdan Wasiak<G>).

So...that means no clear parts for canopies?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I'm in

I am thinking about this one

or this one

I have the racecars, bought it at the last paper model convention, but I would need to buy from Krys the truck
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 01-31-2009, 11:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
OTDAEBT Revisited-monitor-zelezniakow.jpgI think I might give this one a try.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Well count me in....... I'll have to go through my collection and see what I can build. I haven't been "up to snuff" lately and this might just be the aggravation I need! :p

john

My Drawings
Google Adsense