PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I did that before with a different model. But I find when I flip the image for some reason it cause a color shift. I can not explain this but it was noticable to some degree.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
or you just glue the proper piece to the backing, and then cut all of it at the same time

That is my idea. It is more simple to just make it double sided with green on the back and to cut it out once. That way I make ONE circle cut and then cut the holes into it once each. These parts I find are not symmetrical or even perfectly round.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 PM

Okay I have work on this now. I start with the base, since it is where all the rest of the parts will stick. Of course after I start I think of a way to make it better... But I do it this way and it is ok... I cut it out and make some new glue tabs. Then I cut a second top piece from .5mm card and fix inside. Now I could have glue the whole thing to card I suppose... And then cut the sides apart so I do not have to fold. But I do it this way...

And the inside with the thin card I add... they tell you to do this also!

And I fix some of the corners... If they make this model on a larger card they could draw all four sides together with the top... but they make it more difficult...

I find oddly at the hobby store a plastic (?) model of the Beam Engine
Old 08-10-2009, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 72.31 MB
I think that this particular beam engine was a very famous one
I think it was at London's water works or something like that- It was viewable by the public (it might still be there or its in a museum somewhere)
I have seen several different models of it and in the book Cardboard Engineering (by Deason, I think) there is some very detailed line drawings of it.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM

The base it is finish mostly.

I glue also card in the four sides to make it more sturdy. As the instructions indicate, I will glue this now to some wood or thick card. perhaps the thick black card I use for my ship base? I could make the black trim on the top more 3D perhaps with strips of card.
Google Adsense
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 AM

I make the sides straight using some wood strip. And it will make fixing to the base more easy. I use thick black card for the base.

With the platform finished I realize perhaps the wood inside it might interfere with the large fly wheel... but I can cut the bottom of the wheel away if necessary.

Now I make the raised platform on the top...

Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
You really have a steady hand for these tiny models, KGL. I'm looking forward to seeing this one done- interesting subject.

Wyvern
Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 AM

I have been un able to work for a little while, but I have not forgot... and I make some progress again! I do not have my work space set up again yet.

There is the bracket for some axle on the wheel...

And the cylinders that will hold up the machinery. The small one it is not finish... it have two brass bands to wrap around the middle yet. I make the brass bands from white card and a scrap book marker...

I can see some thing that is more difficult. Micromodels they make you fix all the brackets and pieces all individually with little things in between. It would be more simple to make long axles and shaft for the parts to fix over like the real machine.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice work, Oksana. I am always glad to see photos of your excellent models and your giant penny. You are a real master of the Micromodels.

Don
Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM

Oh I realize I have lost the giant penny! I had use mostly the same one always just for fun.
Google Adsense