PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 07-05-2010, 05:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Anarchy Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Smuts View Post
No rules then?
But seriously - I'd say go with what you enjoy.

Some folks enjoy competition, but that requires some kind of rules to set the bar. This takes you down the road of rules-writing (lawyer up folks).

Then there are builders who'd just like to share what they've done in return for the viewers' comments and enjoyment. "Compete" in the display only category or fill some display cases at your local school/library/etc.

For others, just build and enjoy the process and result yourself.

I'm in the middle - opting for a little anarchy. If I ever plan far enough ahead to have a nice model ready (and not given away) I might enter something in the local IPMS show just to see what kind of grit in the gears it produces. So far, my only "competition" was to drop off a couple of FG lighthouses for display and pass on.

Yogi (to each their own - as long as they post pictures for the rest of us)
Old 07-05-2010, 06:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron0909 View Post
No offence at all to anyone is intended here but...somehow the fun seems to be going the way of the dodo. Just an opinion
Absolutely agree, Ron. Too many rules, way too many possible categories. I just want to build and watch builds.

Even for the contest we have, a few basic rules, laid out at the beginning of each contest is sufficient. And the most important of those rules should be to have fun.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Think I'll model a while ...
Lep
Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
I concur with Ron909 and B-manic. If this is what is
required for adhering to IMPS rules I don't think you
will have many paper modelers interested. Ron
Yes, tis true for just building.

But, sometimes it is nice to be rewarded for an excellent build. The POTW series is a great case in point.

If someone wants to find another level of fun by competing, then let them.

Paper models offer so much more detail and better part fit than plastic, that they need to be allowed to compete.

All areas of the cardmodeling need to be addressed. Everything from repaints, to adding other than "paper" material to the builds. Look at all of the discussions here at PM on the different techniques used to add aluminum finishes to exact repaints of certain real life objects.

Since there are so many different tries at getting a Natural Aluminum Look, it could be judged all on its' own merits...

Paper offers many ways to make different objects. How about a toys and automata catergory?

This is an oppurtunity to expand our hobby, we should use it to the fullest!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 07-05-2010, 11:53 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
What we need to do is the following.

Ask our Czech and Polish brethern, those who compete on a regular basis, for some guidelines or hints.

I have seen pictures of their contests, and they are all well attended, and there are some really nice prizes awarded

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 07-05-2010, 12:24 PM

Sorry if I sounded so negative. I just like to nip anything in the bud that could possibly alienate people instead of including everyone. The idea of organized competitions in itself is really cool! We all seem to be in awe when Rick does his live webcam and the photos come back from the convention. Imagine being at a competition with all that good stuff and all of it in paper As long as the fun remains!

Ron
Old 07-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.28 MB
Maybe I used references to IPMS too much. The goal here is to define a set of rules for card model competitions with no links to IPMS. Integrating card models into IPMS is a topic for someone else to explore.

The suggestion to see how the Czech and Polish contests are managed is a good one, so hopefully we will get some input from builders over there.

- Erik
Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
my biggest gripe about contests is that often the rules are not stated clearly enough at the beginning. that can be fixed with standardization. my second biggest gripe is about deadlines. sometimes organizers stretch deadlines. this is usually because someone spent so much time building a beautiful model but just couldn't finish it in time. i can sympathize, but that is not fair to those who did finish in time. if it isn't fair, it isn't really a contest...
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Perhaps I can be of some help.
Rules of paper model competitions in Poland differs a bit between each other, but basically it goes like this:

They compete in two classes: STANDARD and OPEN.

STANDARD CLASS is basically the same as OTB in plastic. You build the model from the kit, using all the extra materials that the instruction of the kit allows you to include. Paint is not allowed except for painting the edges and to hide the seams, if you want to. No models built from copies of the original kits are allowed.

Then they divide STANDARD CLASS into age groups:

CHILDREN - below 13 years of age.
JUNIOR - from 13 to 18 years of age
SENIOR - above 18 years of age

and then come the categories:

SHIPES
BATTLESHIPS
SAILING VESSELS
SUBMARINES

GLIDERS
SINGLE ENGINE AIRPLANE
MULTI ENGINE AIRPLANE
JETS
AIRPLANES IN THE 1:48 and 1:50 scale
HELICOPTERS
ROCKETS

WEELED VEHICLES
RAIL VEHICLES
TRACKED VEHICLES

ARCHITECTURE
FIGURES

OPEN CLASS is not divided in to the age groups. Every technique and material is allowed to make your model look more like the real thing, as long as you use a paper model kit as the base. The categories are basically the same. Architectural models and figures are usually excluded from the OPEN CLASS. In every case of every model you have to provide judges with the original kit or a copy of it.

This is the basic structure. I'm sure you can work with this provided necessary changes.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebeltex View Post
my biggest gripe about contests is that often the rules are not stated clearly enough at the beginning. that can be fixed with standardization. my second biggest gripe is about deadlines. sometimes organizers stretch deadlines. this is usually because someone spent so much time building a beautiful model but just couldn't finish it in time. i can sympathize, but that is not fair to those who did finish in time. if it isn't fair, it isn't really a contest...
You made an excellent point- the rules aren't always clear enough. If we come up with a clean set of rules, contest directors won't have to create their own on the spot. The other issues you raised are the usual chaos and poor scheduling seen in countless model contests. As for extending deadlines, it might be done because so few people entered or perhaps the original date didn't give enough time to read the rules and then build a model to enter. I"d think putting the entry deadline way out would result in no need for deadline extensions. As you so well put it, a contest isn't successful unless it is FAIR.

- Erik
Google Adsense