PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 07-24-2010, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.28 MB
Thanks, These rules should also work well in the US. I have several questions:
"In every case of every model you have to provide judges with the original kit or a copy of it"
Does this mean you must confirm the model was built from a commercial kit?
In Open class can you scan the kit you own, repaint, print, build, and enter it?
Is there category for downloaded free models?

- Erik
Old 07-27-2010, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik J View Post
Does this mean you must confirm the model was built from a commercial kit?
Not exactly. The copy of the kit is part of the documentation, that also may include photographs of your progress while building. It is in your interest to provide judges with this things, so they fully understand the effort that you have put into the model. Let me give you an example:

You have built a model of an airplane, you closed and buried the seams of the engine cover, so the cover looks now like a one piece. To understand your effort judges would like to see how that cover looked in 2D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik J View Post
In Open class can you scan the kit you own, repaint, print, build, and enter it? Is there category for downloaded free models
I don't know. I think they don't practice this kind of a thing. In open class they go for the scratch built parts and classic modeling techniques.

When they look for the kit to be built for the competition, they automatically look for something that they can impress the judges with, So what model do you think they will go for? Commercial or downloaded? I never saw a category for downloaded models in the competition rules in Poland.

I,m going to ask these questions on the Polish "Karton net Work". Maybe we'll learn something new.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutek63 View Post
Not exactly. The copy of the kit is part of the documentation, that also may include photographs of your progress while building. It is in your interest to provide judges with this things, so they fully understand the effort that you have put into the model. Let me give you an example:

You have built a model of an airplane, you closed and buried the seams of the engine cover, so the cover looks now like a one piece. To understand your effort judges would like to see how that cover looked in 2D.

I don't know. I think they don't practice this kind of a thing. In open class they go for the scratch built parts and classic modeling techniques.

When they look for the kit to be built for the competition, they automatically look for something that they can impress the judges with, So what model do you think they will go for? Commercial or downloaded? I never saw a category for downloaded models in the competition rules in Poland.

I,m going to ask these questions on the Polish "Karton net Work". Maybe we'll learn something new.
Yes, it will be very interesting to hear how the Polish builders deal with free downloaded models.

A contest with only card models in it would have judges familiar with the hobby, so impressing a judge would be different than impressing an IPMS judge who only knows about plastic kits. As with scale RC model contests, a 'documentation' package could be used to explain techniques and parts fabricated that enhanced the model. There would be no need to provide a 3-view and other 'proof of scale' needed in the RC contest.

Proof of authenticity that the model came from the commercial kit could include providing the kit printed cover and even some of the kit scraps. In Open Class, where a scan and repaint of the kit would be allowed, the contestant would have to present the original kit. If that kit had already been build, it would raise an interesting copyright question and perhaps disqualify the model.

Speculating on rules for downloaded models- the contestant would have to provide documentation for the model download source (i.e the web site) and something on the plan or instructions that shows that it is free. If the site no longer exists or if the model is not familiar to the judges, they will have to decide if the entry is valid or not. The burden of proof should be on the contestant. "I got it a long time ago from somewhere" would not be acceptable. So, it looks like a 'Downloaded Free Model' category needs to be added to 'Standard Class' and 'Open Class'.

Again, none of these issues are intended for IPMS and how they deal with card models in their contests.

- Erik
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
My two cents

To the contrary of some of the posters, I think competitions (I'm not talking about competitions on the forum) are great way to promote the hobby. They could be also a drive engine for some competitive folks out there to improve their skills, try new things and build better and more amazing models. I don't doubt there are modelers with such "mind set". To organize a competition one needs to set some judging rules/categories.

Obviously, not everybody will be interested in participation, and that's fine. Making models gives me a lot of pleasure, but even sharing my builds on this forum makes me often uncomfortable enough to know I'm not going to participate. With my almost flat learning curve and intrinsic slowness of paper builds, I may change my mind in a dekade or so. I would love to though attend a competition showing paper models as a visitor.
Forums like this one always will be a place for all kinds of builders, masters of the craft and noobs, and they should stay like that. The main purpose of forums should be the fun of sharing our creations (although we could be more critical about our work, but that's topic for another discussion).

My last point little more on the topic:D. Although digital, downloaded models may not permitted at competitions in Poland (or other Central or Eastern European countries) that doesn't mean it should be the same here. In Poland commercial printed kits are very popular, here in US, I dare to say, digital kits are the core of paper modeling, and the competitions should take it into an account. I leave the discussion how to deal with pirated digital kits to others, I'm not that competent in that matter.

"None so blind as those that will not see"
Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
In there a class for people that design their one-of model?
Google Adsense
Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
In there a class for people that design their one-of model?
That could be another category- scratch design/build. Good idea, thanks.

- Erik
Old 07-28-2010, 01:02 PM

I just thought of something. I think all chimerical printed kits must built from the original and not copy. Cause each commercial printed kits are copyrighted. If the modeler enter a model built from a copy. Even if the modeler still own the original printed, but did not got the publisher written permission to makes copy of the kit. Wouldn't that mean that is a pirated model and should disqualified for contest
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodduck View Post
I just thought of something. I think all chimerical printed kits must built from the original and not copy. Cause each commercial printed kits are copyrighted. If the modeler enter a model built from a copy. Even if the modeler still own the original printed, but did not got the publisher written permission to makes copy of the kit. Wouldn't that mean that is a pirated model and should disqualified for contest
You have brought up a major topic that has been debated at length here at papermodelers.com with no conclusions reached. I don't have the answer.

If a card model can't be copied and printed, even for personal use, any model entered into a contest would, therefore, have to be the commercial kit with things added but nothing changed. Contest judging would then be based on craftsmanship and not art. That would leave the freebie downloads as the only models that could be repainted or altered. It would also mean that many of the fantastic models seen in the 'Model Builds' forums would be ineligible to compete. That would include the recent incredible Orlik PBJ-1H Mitchell by Bomarc, as he did some scans to correct several bad parts. Perhaps the answer is to get copyright clarifications from each manufacturer before any of their models could be scanned, modified, and entered by an individual. Hmmm, lots of things to ponder.

- Erik
Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 AM

You know what. My 1/32 Plasticke Paris to Dakar Rally trucks kits came in few days ago from Marcle Models. I was just checking out the English translation instructions. In it, it said "Before cutting out, it is a good idea to photo-copy the sheets. ........Also, if you are unlucky and damage or lose apart, you have a template to make a new one". So, guess for them. It is ok for the modeler to make copy off the original for back up. But to build a full model with the copy?

So I check out my other kits too. JSC instructions didn't said that. Maty, Modelik, Renova, Orlik with no translation, so I don,t know.

I guessing some publishers (Plasticke) let the modelers to copy for back up. Some don't, because instructions didn't said the modelers can ( I would just say NO by default). Do anybody actually read the kits instructions word for word to see what it said beside me? Or people just look at the pictures?

So what do all that mean, for me? I'll say, copy ok, "IF" the kit instructions said so. Modelers must show prove to enter contest with a model built with partial copy. But then. How could anyone tell it is a partial copy or full copy? ........ oh hell. No rule! Anything goes! At lest for the Open Class :D
Old 07-29-2010, 06:41 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Actually the trucks are published by Albatros, long since folded
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense