PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.28 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damraska View Post
Hi Erik,

I disagree. The purpose of this thread is to develop a fundamental set of fair, concise, and logical rules for conducting a card model contest. The end user may be a group of card modelers in Nebraska, Siberia, or IPMS USA. The end user will ultimately pick and choose from this rules set and make changes to meet individual requirements.

Since IPMS USA is actively looking for a card model rule set, it only makes sense to listen to their member's questions, concerns, and ideas when formulating a fundamental rule set. If the result of the discussion is a fundamental rule set for card model contests AND an IPMS USA rule set for judging card models, that is a GOOD THING. In fact, I would argue it is the best possible outcome of this discussion. We are all adults and can handle some cross talk while both issues get hammered out.

The rule sets discussed so far certainly inform the discussion, but no one has put forth a proposal for a fundamental card model contest rule set. We are still in the very early, exploratory part of the process. Not much has happened.

Why do scanned and edited card models need separate categories? A card model of a plane is a card model of a plane. Do you intend to judge the quality of the model or the quality of the build of the model? I submit that the quality of the build is the only relevant matter for a model BUILDERS contest. If you want to have a model DESIGNERS contest, that contest can have categories for scans and repaints.

There is no need for a category for display models. You put out some tables marked "display only" and assign someone to police them. A guide to putting on a model show should cover this, but it is not strictly a part of a contest and judges do not interact with "display only" models. I think this is just a semantics issue based on use of the word "category".

This is an absolute MUST HAVE. Even with a great set of contest rules, participants will walk away dissatisfied if judges cannot apply them correctly. A Handbook for Judging Card Models must also come out of this process.

-Doug
Wow, you brought up a lot of good points!

1. As for IPMS, cgutzmer asked me to move the topic of paper model contest rules out of the FSPM forum, which is dedicated to paper models in IPMS. I agreed, and did so, and propose that we develop the rules here and in due time post them in the FSPM forum. I didn't know IPMS was interested in formulating a set of paper model rules, so our discussions here are timely, indeed.

2. We are in the initial stages of forming the rules, as you note, but the Poland and Czech Rep. rules give us a firm base.

3. Scanned/edited vs. straight kit- Oh, we can argue this item, but my gut feeling is the two categories are only compatible in quality of construction judging. If construction is the only criteria, why bother to edit the paint scheme? As you noted, the contestant has to prove that they have the original printed kit as the source for the scan/edit.

4. Display models- you're right. It would be a table for models with no judging, awards or anything else. The builder could provide a printed page or two about how it was built and what was changed. In that way we all could learn something.

5. Judging handbook- Oh, yes, we definitely need one, and I think it should be a separate document. As this forum discussion continues, I suggest we address two topics- the rules and the judging criteria. I remember being thrust into a couple of hotly contested IPMS 'friendly' contests that almost came to blows and sure could have used a judges training sheet!

- Erik
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Have read this thread with interest.

My comments would be.......

1. Take note that judging rules are not the same as competition rules. The judges rules can be worked out by judges so they have consistent parpameters to work to. Competition rules guides the participants.

2. Rules should be simple.

3. Simple. The idea is to have fun and be able to enter your work. Not bicker over technicialities that are often irrelevant. IPMS has breed a cadre of rivet counters and rule experts - its not fun sometimes unless you like being pedantic and officious.

4. Simple rules should cover the obvious basics - broad classes, and actual obvious items such as the paper percentage of a model required if it is scratch built e.g. basic structure and component made of card/paper. Otherwise trust the integrity of the participants. If you cannot do the latter do not bother with competitions as they will not be one!

Bascally the idea is to have fun, share and get input - what happens on this Forum anyway........... And the Forum provides, in a way, a simple guide of the direction to take..................!