PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Current Contests, Competitions, and Challenges

Old 07-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.28 MB
Card Model contest rules- a discussion

I think it's time to come up with a set of rules and guidelines for card model contests. This topic started in the Fine Scale Paper Modelers (FSPM) area, which is dedicated to International Plastic Modelers Society (IPMS) and card models within that arena. So, go there to discuss card models in an IPMS competition.

A contest for card models similar to an IPMS competition needs different rules, because plastic and paper models are so different. A plastic model is more like a canvas upon which the modeler paints with little variation in construction choices. Craftsmanship standards and use of non-styrene materials have changed as the plastic hobby evolves.

IPMS and RC contests have had groups break away because of trophy hunters, who will bend and break rules to get another ribbon, so we will eventually experience similar problems, I am sure.

Paper models are more like stick & tissue or RC models, in that both are constructed from more basic materials. For that reason using flying model contest rules for a reference would also be helpful.

So, to get things started, here are some thoughts to consider.

Commercial card models are available printed in sheets, in books, or can be downloaded to be printed by the modeler. This raises the first issue- pirate copies. How would a contest director know if an entered model was an allowed printing or if it was a downloaded pirate copy?

There are a lot of free models available for download, and some of them are pirate copies with the designer/manufacturer copyright information deleted.

Some people design and build card models from scratch with no intent to publish a design or kit.

Well, that kinda summarizes card model sources, so what categories for a contest seem appropriate?

The type of model, such as aircraft, armor, vehicle, etc can be discussed as we move along, but for now we need to concentrate on what to do with a model that is carried in and set on the table to be entered in the contest.

Suggested major categories (not model type) are:
Built straight from the kit with no visible changes.
Built from kit with upgrades (formed canopy, new instrument panel, new paint scheme, etc.)
Built from scanned sheets of a commercial kit the entrant owns (with & without 'improvements').
Built from a commercially available kit download (i.e. from Digital Card Models and Ecardmodels.com).
Built from a free download model with no changes.
Built from a free download model with image clean up, recoloring, and upgrades.
Scratch designed AND built by the contestant.
Built from parts from multiple card models (called 'kit bashing' in the plastic world).

These categories certainly are not all but are a place to start.

As with IPMS, use of non-paper materials, including wood, needs to be regulated, i.e develop new categories for mixed media.

Rules for models from a download or scanned commercial kit may be unworkable because of copyright issues.

One category doesn't compete against another category. Each category has awards. As with most model contests, there would be best of show, best craftsmanship, peoples choice, etc.

With that, let the discussions begin and hopefully we can end up with a basic set of contest rules to be tried in upcoming regional and local contests.

- Erik
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
You raise some interesting points Erik. However, the FSPM Lounge would be a more appropriate place for this type of discussion.

~ cheers
Douglas
Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
No offence at all to anyone is intended here but...somehow the fun seems to be going the way of the dodo. Just an opinion
Old 07-04-2010, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Thumbs up Build models no rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron0909 View Post
No offence at all to anyone is intended here but...somehow the fun seems to be going the way of the dodo. Just an opinion
I agree Ron, I like building models not rules. I find rules can be limiting in creative endeavors. Just my opinion.

Last edited by B-Manic; 07-04-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: should say "Build models NOT rules"
Old 07-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Well, cgutzmer, the FSPM moderator, sez the FSPM is only for IPMS related issues and asked for this kind of discussion be moved elsewhere, so here it came to rest.

I would think that eventually IPMS will include paper models, but in the meantime it is in our interest to come up with some kind of framework to prevent contests from getting ugly and fights started.

If we have a common set of rules the competitions will stay fun and not conflict with each other. If there is already a nice set of contest rules then we can end this discussion pretty quick.

cheers, and don't forget to crease before folding!

- Erk

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
You raise some interesting points Erik. However, the FSPM Lounge would be a more appropriate place for this type of discussion.

~ cheers
Douglas
Google Adsense
Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Eternal Member

I concur with Ron909 and B-manic. If this is what is
required for adhering to IMPS rules I don't think you
will have many paper modelers interested. Ron
Old 07-04-2010, 10:58 PM

I used to have this little website by the name of Cardmodels.net. Rick Steffers and I hosted many competitions along with many of the paper model publishers and designers. To be honest...we never had any issues during or after any model contest. I'm not sure about any contests here however, to my knowledge there haven't really been any issues either that have required such stringent rule sets. I think (again just an opinion and we all know what opinions are like ) that paper modelers in general are an honest sort of folk that have governed themselves quite decently. I used to have about 100 printed kits. I scanned in almost all of them as I never trusted myself to build a printed kit. Due to personal reasons all my kits were abandoned. With this kind of ruling it sounds like the onus would be on me to provide proof that I didn't pirate the models prior to participating in any contest should I use my files. I like to build and I like to share my building techniques with others and I just feel that bringing in any rules like this would be counter productive in an environment like this. Few enough folks post as it is or join contests out of fear or for whatever other reason. The others items..categories etc are normal contest issues. Anyways, I'm rambling again
Ron
Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
KISS works for me...ultimately in competitions where members vote to decide winners, i vote based on which most catches my eye regardless of its origins (i.e. free, printed, downloaded, stock, scratch etc)
Old 07-05-2010, 01:03 AM

You are right- we don't need stringent rules. I put forth all the ideas that I could think of. This hobby is really growing, so we should think about using contests to showcase and promote card models like the plastic guys do.
One easy way would be to have the usual categories, such as aircraft, armor, cars, etc and with no restrictions on the model source.
It would be hard for my 1:100 Tiger II to compete against the 1:25 GPM Tiger, so some sub-categories would be in order.
I too scan my kits for the same reasons as you and like to fix the awful colors in the early Maly kits. I'd like to enter a scanned and recolored kit and maybe go for a ribbon (never got one in plastic, either).
I was thinking about contests where the models are sitting on a table and hadn't really considered the friendly contests like those in this forum, where we send in pictures of a completed model.
Keep on rambling...

- Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron0909 View Post
I used to have this little website by the name of Cardmodels.net. Rick Steffers and I hosted many competitions along with many of the paper model publishers and designers. To be honest...we never had any issues during or after any model contest. I'm not sure about any contests here however, to my knowledge there haven't really been any issues either that have required such stringent rule sets. I think (again just an opinion and we all know what opinions are like ) that paper modelers in general are an honest sort of folk that have governed themselves quite decently. I used to have about 100 printed kits. I scanned in almost all of them as I never trusted myself to build a printed kit. Due to personal reasons all my kits were abandoned. With this kind of ruling it sounds like the onus would be on me to provide proof that I didn't pirate the models prior to participating in any contest should I use my files. I like to build and I like to share my building techniques with others and I just feel that bringing in any rules like this would be counter productive in an environment like this. Few enough folks post as it is or join contests out of fear or for whatever other reason. The others items..categories etc are normal contest issues. Anyways, I'm rambling again
Ron
Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.28 MB
No rules then?
Google Adsense