PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Graffam's projects

Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to DagobahDave
Colony Blocks

Another one to add to my growing list of sci-fi terrain projects. The idea is really simple: one-story-tall "blocks" in a variety of dimensions (3x3, 3x4, 3x5, 3x6, 4x4, 4x5, 4x6 inches) that can be re-arranged from one game session to the next, including stacking on top of each other to create taller structures.

Here's some work in progress:

Colony Blocks 3D digital tests, showing a kind of tower block possible by stacking them up, done in SketchUp.

These are some of the 3D paper accessory bits I have to work with. Antenna modules, exhaust pipes, balconies, balcony supports, window blisters, power modules, etc.

Some of the funky details that'll be appearing on my sci-fi textures. It's good to have a big collection of these sorts of things to scatter around.

Google Adsense
Old 07-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Clever idea Dave - with a lot of potential flexibility.

You could do lots of "add-on" kits with the accessories e.g. residential, industrial, pre and post apocalyptic etc.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Awesome idea Dave, can't wait to see it realized!

Bart
Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Although I read a goodly amount of Science fiction, Dave, this whole activity of sci-fi gaming is "alien" to me. As I understand these new designs of yours, they're analogous to Legos for the sci-fi gamer crowd, and I'll be eager to see some of the structures people devise with these new blocks. Could it even make sense to use Legos as foundations -- i.e., have some of your blocks the right size to slip over stacks of Legos?

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to DagobahDave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Although I read a goodly amount of Science fiction, Dave, this whole activity of sci-fi gaming is "alien" to me. As I understand these new designs of yours, they're analogous to Legos for the sci-fi gamer crowd, and I'll be eager to see some of the structures people devise with these new blocks. Could it even make sense to use Legos as foundations -- i.e., have some of your blocks the right size to slip over stacks of Legos?
Yeah, there's a kind of Lego thing going on here, in terms of offering simple building blocks. I don't know how they fit with Legos, though.
Google Adsense