PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Dave Winfield's Projects

Old 04-24-2021, 01:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
John, in terms of safety, confidentiality or privacy, one can debate the conspiracy theories endlessly - it is certainly more secure than a number of popular Western choices, including the social media choices such as Facebook.
Well, on your recommendation I went in for a look around. I tried to register but failed the inquisition ... Couldn't proceed beyond the request for my mobile phone number. Am I the last person on Earth that doesn't have one? Actually, I do have two, but they both ran out of credit 3 years ago and I can't remember the numbers or how to top them up. I'm confined to barracks anyway, so what do I need a mobile for.

Anyhow, when I got back to the home sign-up page, I noticed a little link that says "Not now", Clicked on that, and voila, I'm in to peruse as I like.

I'm not surprised our Dave was upset. I wonder what other designers have been ripped off. I'm fully expecting to find Bruno's full catalogue next.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB

As already revealed, I've been struggling a bit with a Koolwheelz version of the new Bat-car from the upcoming Batman movie.
the movie has been pushed back again, to a March 2022 release, because of the pandemic.

Being such a huge Batman fan, I can't wait....I enjoy all the different takes on Batman (no comment on Clooney and Kilmer).
The Batman looks amazing and I can't wait to see what it has to offer the franchise.

As far as a new paper Batmobile...I've struggled with the lack of reference material to date.
I could wait a bit longer, but where is the fun in that?
This isn't the first model I have published well in advance of its public release!

I've managed to isolate and lighten a few images from the movie Trailer...but so much is still unknown.
Then theres that "pre-production scale model" that appeared on the web.
After a lot of careful examination, I decided there was just too many differences with what you could see in the Trailer.
The Hot Wheels toy appears to be based off the pre-production model...with Hot Wheels wheels and such.

But then I came across some "spy" photos taken of film production involving "stunt" Batcars.
Two stunt cars made to look very similar to the real Batcar, but obviously missing a lot of body panels and mechanical bits.
Not much good for detail reference, but they helped me understand some of the car proportions.

In the end, I felt I had enough to work with to soldier on, and invent whatever I couldn't confirm.

The Batcar's wheels are still a total mystery...
one shot in the Trailer reveals that the wheels have large hubs or wheel covers that extend out beyond the tire sidewalls.
The pre-production model seems to have truck style hubs that stick out from the wheels.

So, I did my best to create something along those lines...and hopefully they are not too far off from the actual thing.

And that brings me to this... its Koolwheelz style...meaning I have tried to limit the number of parts and the simplicity of the design.
As always, I put buildability over technical accuracy, and so many elements of the car are either simplified or stylized to better suit the miniature paper version.

Its not an easy build.
What looks like a smooth boxy design is actually a complicated automobile shape with many added on sheet metal elements.
And no, I don't believe there is an underlying production car as many have tried to guess at.
From some angles the roof lines and rear pillars have a familiar element, but looking at the "stunt" cars and all the bolted on parts,
I am inclined to think its a completely scratch built tubular chassis car underneath.
In fact, judging from the "stunt" cars sheetmetal, I wouldn't be surprised if the designers started with Nascar style Stock car chassis'.

I'm still trying to decide if I am going to call this done...and I don't have the modelsheet ready to publish yet...

Old 05-03-2021, 11:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I think you have done a great job at puzzling this out.

One of my problems when I try to design things is that I get to something that isn't obvious and I end up stalling, many times never to pick it up again.

It really has a cross-over feel. Batman meets Road Warrior.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:39 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
That's great Dave!

And nice to have a prototype - be interesting to see how it does turn out eventually!
Old 05-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
That's great Dave!

And nice to have a prototype - be interesting to see how it does turn out eventually!
Unless someone presents a reason to change anything, this is probably it.
One day I will get around to finishing the model sheet.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Looking good.🦇🦇🦇🦇
Old 05-15-2021, 08:17 AM

The Batman (Pattison Batcar 2021) is now available!
Find it in the StarCarz section of Koolwheelz.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.47 GB
Thanks Dave!
Old 05-16-2021, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Pretty stinking cool, sir. I mean Kool
Old 06-24-2021, 10:41 AM

Buckaroo Banzai Fanzine Interview!

I'm a big fan of the old movie The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension.

Its an odd cult classic from the 1980s, that stands alone in the SciFi genre.
I can't honestly think of another film thats like it.
At first it seems a bit silly and weird...but theres actually a lot going on that gets better each time you see it.
And the list of stars involved is impressive.

This Kevin Smith Live at Lincoln Center Cast Reunion/Interview is excellent to watch, if you are fan, or intend on watching the film.
Kevin Smith's SMoviola "Buckaroo Banzai" at the 49th New York Film Festival - YouTube

Anyway, it turns out there is an online fanzine (fan magazine) devoted to Buckaroo Banzai called World Watch One.
-World Watch One being the mobile headquarters and Tour Bus for Buckaroo's Band.

And one of the contributors Steve Mattssonn contacted me to interview me about my Paper Models, and specifically my Buckaroo Banzai creations and the Land Speed models I produce.
Seems an upcoming issue was to be focused on the Jet Car, LSRs, and related topics.

That issue has been released...I have been given permission to share a direct link:
http://www.figmentfly.com/bb/newslet..._21st_2021.pdf

My interview is an honour, but there is a ton of cool stuff related to the Jet Car(Truck),
like behind the scene photos, interviews with the the Camera and Stunt crews
as well as lots more information on the Jet car and Land Speed records.