PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.97 MB
Victorian subs I'd like to see for paper modeling

I'm a real fan of real and fictitious Victorian era (and earlier) submarines.
Below are pics of Victorian era subs I'd like to build as paper models.

If anyone here has any paper model sheets of these I sure would like to get them from you. Please let me know if any of you have or know about where to get these subs as paper models.

This below fictitious "steampunk" submarine was created and modeled by Peter Pohle in 3D only, and you can read more about it at the Catalog of Nautilus designs page at this link.....
A Catalog of Nautilus Designs

It is the second to last at the bottom of the page. It looks like it would be a quite complex and involved model, but just look at how great it looks! Does anyone here know if a paper model is available for it? Here's all the pics I have on it.....

Here's Pohle's steampunk sub ramming the submarine "Sword" that I already have the paper model plans for to build later.

Another paper model I would like to have is Robert Kelley's fictitious knife nose Nautilus which is also at the Catalog of Nautilus design page. I especially like the way the conning towers look like pillbox emplacements and I also like the knife style nose ram. This sub kind of reminds me of the Confederate Pioneer sub on steroids. Here's all the pics I have on this one.....

This next below pic of a paper model I would like to have the paper modeling sheets on, is of a fictitious Victorian sub pic I saw at Pat Regan's "Vulcania" website about the Nautilus and all things related to Captain Nemo. I'd really like to model this one especially. Here's the only pic I know of this fictitious Victorian sub.

Jim Humphries fictitious Nautilus is also on the Catalog of Nautilus design page and he has built an RC model of this sub. I'd love to have a set of paper model plans for it. Here's the pic of it below....

Having a paper model of Nemo's sub base at Vulcania to place all my Victorian subs around would be the ultimate Victorian sub diorama. Does anyone know if any paper models of the Vulcania volcano sub base exist? Here's a pic below of that.....

Next on my list of Victorian submarine paper model kits I'd like to acquire, is August Nordenfelt's steam powered sub of 1887 called the "Abdulhamid". Here's two pics of it below....

Next on my want list is Devilleo's 1862 "Alligator". Pic below....

Next is the Garrett/Nordenfelt submarine. Pic below....

Next is the German Nordenfelt sub of 1890. Grandfather of all U boats. Pic below.....

Next is the Gustave Zede. Pic below......

Next is the Plongeur of 1863. Pic below.....

Continued next post due to only 20 pics per post limit.......

Google Adsense
Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM

continued from previous post

Next is the wooden Spanish Ictenio II of 1864. I really like the lines and look of this sub and would LOVE to model it in paper. The pics of the big one is of a replica in Barcelona harbor in Spain. Pics of it below....

Next on my paper want list is the Gymnote of 1889. Pic below....

Next on my list is the "Resurgam". Pic below.....

Next is the Peral sub of 1888. It's hull still exists on display. Two pics below.....

The Peral currently on display in Cartagena.

Well that's my Victorian want list of paper models I'd like to acquire to build.

If anyone has any knowledge of these, or like these, that are modeled in paper, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Those are certainly some interesting subjects. I have moved your thread to "Design Requests". Perhaps here a designer will be inspired by the pictures.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.36 MB
Here are a couple good Nautilus models:

Nautilus Submarine Model
http://jleslie48.com/0305n/ETHtml01.htm

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Nautilus Paper Model
Old 09-22-2010, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Here's one you might not have seen. May not be as sleek as you want, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Victorian subs I'd like to see for paper modeling-scallop_1_1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Here's one you might not have seen. May not be as sleek as you want, though.
Thanks Knife. I found that one "the scallop" when you told me about it in another post.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.87 MB
I have never seen card models of the fictional subs on your list. You probably already know this: ecardmodels.com sells models of USS Alligator, USS Plunger, and CSS Hunley.

USS Alligator

USS Plunger

CSS Hunley

-Doug
Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Vulcania

Vulcania test render from "20K Leagues Under the Sea work"...,

+Gil

Old 09-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damraska View Post
I have never seen card models of the fictional subs on your list. You probably already know this: ecardmodels.com sells models of USS Alligator, USS Plunger, and CSS Hunley.

USS Alligator

USS Plunger

CSS Hunley

-Doug
Thanks Damraska. But the links don't seem to work.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwssms View Post
Thanks gwssms. I already have several downloaded versions of the Disney Nautilus already that I haven't yet built. But I'm not too enamored of the Disney Nautilus for several reasons.

1. It is not true at all to the description of the Nautilus as described by Jules Verne and is wholly a Disney...not Verne, creation.

2. The way the Disney Nautilus is externally laid out and constructed it cannot have the large spaciousness of Nemo's quarters. Not only is the Disney version not practical, it is not really able to be built in reality as its interior portrays. I DO like fantasy subs, but I at least like for them to be viable to be built in reality.

I might build a Disney Nautilus one day with the plans I already have, but for now, I like to build subs that were real, or at least could have been built in reality. The reality of real early subs, is that they were very cramped and did not have the ability to have the fine baroque furnishings and room that the Disney Nautilus unrealistically had. But before I ever DO build a Disney Nautilus, I'll probably build several other more true to Jules Verne's description of the Nautilus first. And there are certainly a lot of those as evidenced at the Catalog of Nautilus design page.

But of course you didn't know how I felt about this, so a big thank you to you for your offer of the Disney Nautilus designs anyway!

Last edited by Florida Diver; 09-23-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Google Adsense