PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 01-25-2015, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.22 MB
In progress, but on hold, are the complete American Orient Express, the Empire Builder, the Twin Cities Zephyr, the North Coast Limited, Twin Cities Hiawatha, and Olympian Hiawatha. The AOE, EB, and NCL include express reefers, baggage, RPO, combine, sleepers, diner, café, coaches, vista dome, and observation. The Zephyr has a four-car articulated train set, the TC Hi has prototypical cars for baggage, café, diner, coaches, and beaver-tail observation, and the Olympian Hi has the standard set plus a full-dome car and a Skytop observation car.

I've completed a GN pacific and a MR bi-polar electric (they are cubical bling in my office).
Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That's an impressive roster! I'm looking forward to seeing progress on these :-)
Plumdragon
Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 PM

Thanks for showing us your work! A lot of graphical detail, looks carefully researched. Some tricky compound curves on the Zephyr tender!

I hate to see such an ambitious project on hold due to lack of software. Have you considered an alternative to Visio, perhaps SketchUp?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:53 PM

Alternatives to Visio

I have Sketchup, and I've played with it a little. I'm just reluctant to start over... I have made a lot of progress on many projects. I just have to hang on until the lowest level I can use falls below $100. The current version has a lot of cool tools. Many of my designs are based on RXR for the basic shapes (for example, converting the 4-6-2 to a 4-4-2, 4-6-4, 4-8-2, 4-8-4, and even a 4-6-6-4, and even an 0-6-0 and 0-8-0). I've added rounded domes, and lots more detail in the valve gear. My point is, I did all of those conversions in a day. Then, I made a boxpok version of the Atlantic, Pacific, Hudson, and Northern, all in an hour. What can I say? I loves me some Visio.

I plan to use the undercarriage of the Aeolus on a CPR Royal Hudson some day.

A little off topic, but one of these days, I'll post some photos of my repaints of the Roman Seas galleys (Eric Hotz offers an Egyptian/Antonian fleet, Cathaginian fleet, 3 Roman fleets, a barbarian fleet, and merchants). I've created a Greek, Macedonian/Dacian, and 3 new Roman fleets, and converted a Saxon ship into a passable Viking longship.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 PM

Another project on the virtual workbench...

Another related project I was working on when my laptop pooped out on me is a 1/64th scale firehouse, with fully detailed truck bays. I'm using Clever brickwork for the interior and exterior walls, and actual photographs for the windows and doors. For my money, Clever has the finest paper model buildings anywhere.
Google Adsense
Old 01-31-2015, 10:03 PM

A few more pictures...

These are photos of some additional trial builds of my railroad models. They are a little shopworn after being on display in my office for a couple of years.

I'm also including a photo of several buildings in 1/285th scale (micro armour scale). They are shown with 1/300 scale Italian trucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6285.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6286.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6289.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6291.jpg   Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6293.jpg  

Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-img_6297.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM

That's some nice work :-) I particularly like the little box cars - the graphics are nice and sharp and they really look the part. In that scale it wouldn't be too much effort to make a nice long consist, but maybe not a scale mile in length like some U.S. trains....
Looking forward to seeing more :-)
Plumdragon
Old 02-02-2015, 10:15 AM

The liveries on those boxcars are very nice, look very authentic.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Really nice work.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.86 MB
also have a copy of the Alan Rose, the 20th Century Limited, from the Paper Model Store bought it a few years ago , im planning on having a copy made since its very rare ,and do a recolor of READING LINES " Crusader" it looks pretty much like the 20thcent ltd
Attached Thumbnails
Hiawatha Streamlined Steam Engines-cru_loco_rf.jpg  
Google Adsense