PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Requests

Old 10-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
New US Navy war ship

I saw this in a Yahoo home page article, a new speedy Navy ship. 400 ft. long, shallow draft and it sustained speeds of over 50 mph! With all those flat sides it would sure lend itself well to a card model design. Anyone know where a guy would get plans for the latest ship plans from. Maybe something like www.latest gov.leaks.com or something? The Navy wants 55 of them at 400 million each or so. No props or rudders either! Its a big jet ski! Pirates look out!

CT
Attached Thumbnails
New US Navy war ship-capt.75b52ec47102425a843042ef2f916080.speedy_warship_ny114.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-22-2009, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
CT

Nothing (Trent) is already designing this baby. Check the thread on the USS Independence
Old 10-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
That is so cool! I have Trent's Hunely and Alligator Submarines and will be getting his Plunger sub as well. I have not tried any of his 1/1 scale models but have thought about his Colts. Anyhow, this should make for a great model! I look forward to it.
CT
Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
This one single ship does look awesome
Old 10-22-2009, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
It's not a US designed ship - it's a development of the wave-piercing catamarans built by Austal (Austal - Leading the World in the Design and Construction of Customised Aluminium Commercial and Defence Vessels) in Australia and the US for some years. It looks like it has some stealth elements incorporated in the hull design - there are some similarities to the Swedish Visby stealth design.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Isn't this the new Zumwalt-class fast attack destroyer?

Stealthy, sexy, speedy, and deadly...

What is my Navy coming to?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
It's not a Zumwalt class (or which there are 3 varieties) and it is not a catamaran, it is a trimaran. This and the Swedish Visby class are a great look into a what the future navies of the world may look like. I am sure hope our allies build more ships, to help spread to load and responsibility. England's plan for 2 new 60,000 tonnes aircraft carriers looks great also.

The littoral capabilities of the Zumwalt are something that is really being researched a lot. It is an area of combat that needs to be addressed, these ships would work great off the coast of Somalia.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
It's not a Zumwalt class (or which there are 3 varieties) and it is not a catamaran, it is a trimaran. This and the Swedish Visby class are a great look into a what the future navies of the world may look like. I am sure hope our allies build more ships, to help spread to load and responsibility. England's plan for 2 new 60,000 tonnes aircraft carriers looks great also.

I think the trimaran design was chosen because it has better sea-keeping than same sized catamaran designs. On Austal's website you can see that the bow of central hull of their trimaran designs have the same wave-piercing form as the catamarans.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
I have heard of this new class of ship but have not followed the story. Do recall correctly that this vessel is also intended for special forces operations in littoral areas too shallow for subs?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
There are two designs in the works for the LCS Class ships Littoral Combat Ship.

These are designed for coastal (Brown Water) service. Close in shallow water. (READ Anti-Pirate ships) They are fast (45+ Knots or about 53mph) pretty heavely armed and able to handle helicopers........ and be modified using removeable modular containers to change the duty required within 24 hrs. This means they could do anti-submarine patrols one day (yes the newer type subs do go a shallow and are comfortable with it) then be changed out to do something else the next. Like SEAL Team insertion.

LCS 1 USS Freedom....... is a more traditional steel hulled vessel.

LCS 2 USS Independence..... is well more unconventinal Tri-hull made from aluminum.

They NAVY plans to build two more of each before deciding which design will be used for the planned 50+ vessels wanted.

It will be interesting to see if the Traditional wins out over the un-conventional........ both have good points as well as bad points....... but it is nice to see direct competition in the deal. Now if only the politicans will stay out of it and let the better ship win is to be seen.

john

Psst! Go see Trent's design and build........ it really is sweet!

My Drawings
Google Adsense