PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Actual vs. Subjective

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
Indeed - I have seen this hull planked, composite plywood and plank, steel plate, and fibreglass. Despite its limited seaworthiness it is very popular through out the world.

I have no idea how accurate your render is compared to the actual Slocum Spray. Obviously each hand built hull is different and additional variations can be significant between individual builders of the same design.

Ultimately this is your design and it looks mighty fine to me. I have never been a rivet counter when it comes to models. I have always been more impressed with the aesthetic than useless unbuildable (sp) details. I have never seen a 100% accurate model. But I have seen a lot of models that accurately convey the aesthetic of the original. I certainly see that quality represented in what you have shown us thus far. It is rather like the difference between a draughtsman and an artist's rendering of the same subject.

cheers
~ Douglas
Thanks Douglas.

I believe the original subject should be preserved as much as possible but at some point you have to shoot the engineer and ship the product. It's best, at some point, to close the book shelf and avoid looking at the documentation. It prevents canvasing for that last detail of authenticity...,

I've thought about inserting a thinner strake here and there as Slocum applied to the original but at the scale envisioned it doesn't make sense to do so. I still have to place the whales which are doubled up at the turn of the bilge, so there's still more detail that needs to be added. I've got some ideas on the 3-5 rule to give the strakes the "shift of butts". It should work well using paper planking in the style I have in mind. More on this as the build progresses.

I like to the use renders just to see what all the work was about. It's a kind of reward system [and sometimes shows up glaring errors that need to be fixed].

+Gil

Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
The emphasis was strictly on the garboard, I just plotted the lines to define the hull's shape, this was the purpose, as you stated, of this type of drawing. You have to start somewhere. The garboard's on these ships run wide and thick to deal with New England extremely rocky shores. The strip type of planking was all I was referring to. The gentle up-sweep you have at the bow looks pretty, but to shallow on their angles. It was the uniform shape that they kept I was trying to address, that's it. I am sure you would not want to produce a hull that looked like it was made from coffee stirrers? This first image of the real ship is much different from the the one you rendered, you also have captured the shape of the hull. On the Spray, they look like they come up at almost a 45 degree angle, maybe a little more shallow. It seems that maybe you understand what I was trying to point out now. I never meant for what I posted to be anything but about the shape, except for the thickness of the garboards, and since most boats are built up from the bottom, the shapes follow the garboard and transition from there to their final shape. The pictures you provided are excellent for showing this. The Spray actually has quite a thick and wide garboard, it is especially noticeable on the left side of the picture, and if you look on the right, you can follow the line to the rear, where the juxtaposition against the rudder takes place shape. It looks like it was added on actually. This boat has an exceptionally strong center line to her. These 2 pictures do not look like the same boat. I think you already know that and that is why you are revisiting the lines. I have never seen one of your models, but I am sure when you get this done, it will be a sight.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:13 AM

Actually

Hi Zathros,

What you're seeing is actually a whale that runs near the keel. It's fairly thin. It took awhile to figure this out but they are evident if you look carefully.

+Gil
Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

Yes!! I do see it. Some literature considers a garboard as the first "wale' (spelled differently here) that runs next to a keel. I wonder, if in his refit, did he go over that area to strengthen it or did he fit a very thick garboard, I tend to think it is a wale for protection and reenforcing that part of the hull. The boat was said to have been refit as to be new. If in fact, he did not have much money, so to sister and scarf pieces as he needed would make sense.

You have a real good eye, (obviously!) being able to discern that. I drew the outline of the hull using the loft drawings, because I was thinking of drawing the "curves onto the surface", or using the "project to surface" to see what I came up with. This ship fascinates many people, because of the history involved. If Slocum had not made that voyage, I doubt anyone would care much. I attached 2 outline drawings merely to show the outline I came up with, not anything else, for any other readers following. Are you going to release a model of this? I ask because if you don't, I may. Of course, a model from me would be far more basic, a starting point for someone to work from, or if someone wanted a simple model.
Attached Thumbnails
Spray - Boston-bow1sma.jpg   Spray - Boston-hull1sma.jpg  
Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Mesh Test

Most of the hull is complete. Below is a test render of a NURBS to Poly Mesh conversion of the hull. The second image is an overlay of the polygon mesh from which the render was created giving a rough idea of the mesh polygon count.

Poly meshes are not as accurate as NURBS and, if you're not careful, can lose important detail which can be seen in the areas of the bow sprit [geometric simplification] and the stepped angularity of the prow. The solution is more polygons resulting in slower render times.

Note the poly mesh is used as a proxy for the real NURBS model. It can be transported to 3D paint applications for further 2D painting and/or texturing.

Quite a few changes were made to the deck houses. They now closely resemble those in photographs of the original.

+Gil

Last edited by Gil; 08-17-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 PM

Keel

Spray's rabbeted Keel ready for installation of the frames.

+Gil

Old 08-20-2011, 09:32 PM

3 Forward - 2 Back...,

Some progress. An amazing amount of work involves re-doing things over and over again. Think I'd get it right after awhile.., Nah! It'll never happen...,

Keel, frames, strakes, deck and deckhouses are shaping up nicely. Texturing is beginning to settle down though the anchor winch is still an issue. That's expected to work itself out in a day or two.

A nice render is included for your perusal.

+Gil

Last edited by Gil; 08-20-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:34 PM

One More...,

This came out well...,

+Gil

Old 08-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Hi Gill, looks really nice. I was wondering if you could post some bow, stern and profile shots, instead of the 3/4 views to see what is going on. Have you stayed with the planking as done in previous pic (below)?

I traced some lines to show what I was trying to explain before. Someone posted above about aesthetics and some more irrelevant stuff, basically, the conclusion seemed that as long as you make a pretty model who caress. In the many years I have know you (or your work?) and seen how long you could spent doing a cylinder head, till the cooling fins looked just right, they do not understand the "exactness" that you have always striven for previously and I think some see my posts as attacks. They are not. I have posted a picture that you posted before accenting some of the angles I was referring to. These are done to take the pounding of the sea, a shallower angle would buckle the planks. Some boats go to extreme angles for a stronger hull. It is hard to tell with the pictures you posted. I also wondered if you left that small almost "s" at the ends of the bow planks and if the plans are still narrowed too much, as this would probably split the planks during construction. Just wondering and please, no attack intended. I waited a couple of days, no one posted, and I thought you woulds not mind some discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
Spray - Boston-gilbow.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Experimental Strakes

The image below is from an experiment carried out several years back in an effort to determine whether strakes could be "free" formed using alignment marks between two layers. In this case two layers of chip board for each strake. It's 5/8" wide by 12.5" long.

Though a little tedious it works remarkably well.

+Gil

Google Adsense