PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Lex,

I think I will probably do my test builds at 1:400 although if you think that I should use some other scale then I would be grateful for any advice. I would really like to create something that can be easily built at any scale, probably down to as small as 1:700.

I'm actually going to start my hull again. I just bought pdf plans from the people at Profile Morskie and my first impression of them is "wow". They cost me a measly AUD$12 for 10 A4 pdf sheets (I'll need to save them in an image format and stitch them). They are really nicely drawn with a nice level of detail. The world's navies are well represented in their list. Oh, and that underwater stern bit is correct too I reckon
Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Careful with the Profile Morskie they are nicely drawn and highly detailed but invariably suffer from (usually) minor accuracy issues. An example is the #36 on the Roberts class monitor Abercrombie, it shows her with wood planked decks when she actually had steel decks. That sort of thing. Just try and cross-reference where ever possible. That is not to say that they aren't useful, I love them, but just be a bit watchful is all

[email protected]
Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Profile Morskie plans. I guess the idea is to have as many good references as possible. I also have the model plans from the RAN and some as fitted builder's drawings. I'm still really happy with the Profile Morskie plans, particularly at the price.

Regarding the strange stern on my ship, I think the problem may be an incorrectly numbered frame. That would explain that strange gap between frames. Or maybe I just put the frame in the wrong spot. That's the sort of mistake I'm likely to make! I'll have to check when I get home from work.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
I agree that for the price they are a steal! I love my copies and use them often. If you have official drawings of some sort, you'll be fine.

As for misplaced frames, ask me about the time I ended up with a ship three inches too short due to misread frame numbers...could be worse!

[email protected]
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
How's the design going? I hope I can see some pictures soon
Google Adsense
Old 03-24-2009, 11:50 PM

The design hasn't gone anywhere for a couple of days. My baby boy has just learned to crawl and has been running riot. We spend most nights chasing him around the house. I've also been stalled by not being able to find software to stitch my A4 sheets into one image. Who would have thought that such software would be so difficult to find? I think I've got suitable software now so hopefully I'll make some progress tonight.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 AM

Glad to hear that, the first day I learnt to crawl I fell off my bed leaving a scar visible even today... :D Also, for the image processing, have you tried Gimp yet? (I believe you're looking for a freeware...)
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 AM

Hi Lex,

I've got Gimp and several other excellent image processing apps. I'm lazy though and was looking for something to stitch my A4 pages from left to right for me automatically. I found such a freeware app called JPEG Joiner at Software Development - www.djag.com.ar - free applications and utilities - by David Jorge Aguirre Grazio and Raul Fernando Colombo

So, I've got my Profile Morskie plan layed out nicely and imported into MoI when I realise that there isn't a single frame number listed on the drawing. There are nice hull curves but no way to work out where they go! Hmnnn...

So, back to my original plans from the RAN which I am now convinced have a misnumbered frame. It might take me a while to sort this out :(
Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 AM

That does suck... Having something in hand but just not able to use it...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 AM

By using both sets of plans I've managed to make some progress tonight. I'm much happier with the stern.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_06.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_07.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_08.jpg  
Google Adsense