PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-28-2009, 08:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hope you guys don't mind that I keep replying to my own thread :o

Made a fair bit of progress tonight. I'm happy enough with the hull now. I'm going to start putting some structure on this next.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_09.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_10.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_11.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 08:28 AM

Got some structure on the hull now.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_12.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_13.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_14.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Your design is looking very good Mark. I look forward to seeing it start coming together in card.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:07 AM

Hi Douglas,

I'm really apprehensive about the actual building part. I'm not at all sure that it is going to unfold very well either. I really should go and build a kit or two to gain some experience but I really enjoy doing the 3D work and haven't been able to tear myself away from it. I'm one of those people who never reads instructions I'm afraid, usually with dire consequences :D

I've made further progress. After reading a thread here, I've decided to sink the deck in the hull. It is starting to look a bit like a ship now.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_15.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_16.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_17.jpg  
Old 04-04-2009, 04:38 AM

Last update post for a while, I promise :o

6" guns and turrets are on. That's pretty much the major stuff done now, just a lot of detail things to add.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_18.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_19.jpg   I'm Thinking About Designing a Paper Ship-leander_hull_20.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2009, 07:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These drawings bring out the beauty of these ships. I've always thought they were an aesthetically attractive transition between the WWI Town and "alphabet" type 6-inch gun cruisers and the later Towns and Colonies.

I look forward to seeing the model come to life in paper.

Don
Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 PM

I agree Don, the Leanders, particularly in this modified form, were very fine looking ships. As Australia was the only country to operate the modified Leander they have a pretty big place in our WW2 naval history (Edit: Not entirely correct. Sydney was laid down as HMS Phaeton and purchased prior to launch for the RAN. HMAS Perth (HMS Amphion) and HMAS Hobart (HMS Apollo) both spent a short time in the RN). We lost 2 out of 3 and were lucky not to lose the lot.

The US Navy history website has some excellent photos of HMAS Hobart including some nice aerial shots and images of the torpedo damage she suffered. I'm amazed she stayed afloat. These images are large enough to be useful, unlike the ones at the Australian War Memorial site, which are about the size of a postage stamp, virtually useless for research, and carry usage restrictions and undisclosed fee demands despite being "in the public domain". Our Government has completely the wrong attitude to ownership of the Nation's history.

Australian Navy Ships--HMAS Hobart and HMS Apollo (1936-1962)

Last edited by mabrown; 04-06-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Yes. The NHC is a wonderful resource!

Don
Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Eternal Member

Try using Pepakura to unfold

Old 04-19-2009, 08:05 AM

Hi Barry,

I have been following the design/build thread for your wonderful Richelieu and as you use Pepakura to unfold that complex beastie, it is proof that Pepakura is good for the task. Unfortunately, I have been unable to make much headway with the demo.

So, I have persisted with the Skoogle ruby script and tweaks to my design. I now have a hull which unfolds, although to what extent it is buildable remains to be seen. I'm so pleased I've decided to break this into a more focussed thread here: HMAS Sydney II

Last edited by mabrown; 04-19-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Google Adsense