PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 03-20-2009, 04:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sentinel Concept Car.

In the Zealot Hobby Forum, Angevine, also a member here, posted pictures of futuristic concept cars by Spanish designer Cristobal Vila. The designs are under Mr. Vila's copyright, but he invites modelers to try to replicate them. One of these is the Nixus, which appears in another thread in the Paper Modelers Designers Corner. The other is the Sentinel, a flying car, and the subject of this thread.

The actual design has too many compound angles for me, and, being an "old school" designer (no CAD), I simplified the design to fit my method of gluing parallel sided, profile shaped sections side by side.

Instead of using lightweight cardboard hollow sections, as I usually have, I'm using layers of corrugated cardboard to build up the shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-pieces..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-pattern-sheet..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-corrugated-stack-view-bottom..jpg  

If you screw it up, call it an experiment, and start over.
Google Adsense
Old 03-20-2009, 04:48 AM

Plans.

Here the plans I drew, with the surface details shown.
Attached Thumbnails
Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-centermost-section-side-panel-bottom-strip..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-center-sides-top-strip-bottom-strips..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-inner-sides-top-bottom-strips..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-outer-sides-top-bottom-strips..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-body-panel-patterns-vector-patterns..jpg  

Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Looking forward to another one of your builds/designs.:D
Old 03-21-2009, 12:06 PM

Here is the link for Mr. Cristobal's drawings of his actual design: http://www.etereaestudios.com/docs_h...entinel_20.htm

Last edited by markcrowel; 03-21-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Old 04-03-2009, 04:32 PM

Some progress.

The corrugated cardboard pieces were glued together into subsections. Lightweight cardboard strips were glued around the corrugated edges, and lightweight cardboard panels were glued on the surfaces of the subsections.
Attached Thumbnails
Sentinel Concept Car.-clad-body-sections-two-sentinel..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-clad-body-sections-front-sentinel-one..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-dry-fit-clad-sections-two..jpg  
Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Done, April 14, 2009.

Here it is, covered with colored paper, with details of colored paper or printed on by my photocopier.

The Sentinel is supposed to be a flying car, with jet thrusters on the bottom, toward the front, for lift. Those semi-circular attachments at the rear are supposed to be rotating jet thrust vectors, to control the vehicle's direction, depending on which direction in which they are rotated.
Attached Thumbnails
Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-front..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-completed-sentinel-drivers-side..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-rear..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-bottom..jpg   Sentinel Concept Car.-sentinel-bottom-front..jpg