PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
XP-72 Super T-bolt

I guess I am Corsaired out for the time being and the Staggerwing just isn't doing it for me so I am starting now on the Super Thunderbolt. Thank you Zot for suggesting it.

The reference seems to be somewhat sparse on this aircraft so if anyone has anything please pm me I would like everything I can get.

Most of the reference I have thus far came from airwar.ru I used the 5 view with cross sections they had of this aircraft but the moment I put the traced cross sections in place I knew they weren't going to be useful. Having studied the Halinsky P-47D kit that I have it looks to me like the designer of the Thunderbolt liked ellipses. So I drew a line from the tip of the spinner through the tail then drew the profile of the top view in and constructed each cross section from 2 ellipses. The top one being almost circular and the bottom being much more ellongated. It looks pretty decent so I'm going to stick with what I have.

As you can see in the attached screen capture I haven't yet designed the intake under the leading edge of the wings. I can tell already that it is going to give me fits. If any of you have any reference on that area in particular I would love to have it. I think the layout inside will be fairly similar to the stock Thunderbolts with 2 oil coolers and the Super Charger intake. I think those vents just aft and under the wing are the vents for the oil coolers.

I am in the process of drawing in the airfoil for the model using the correct coordinates and this model will have seperate control surfaces. If anyone knows what airfoils were used on the tail surfaces I would appreciate knowing.

This model will be fairly detailed perhaps on the same level as my Super Corsairs.

Lets start a contest here shall we? The polkadot scheme on the Moonbat seemed to be a big hit so I think I'll release the model with the prototype paint scheme and with a fictional 1946 style scheme. Submit your entries in this thread drawn in on a side and top view and the winner will have his scheme applied to the model. Not sure how judging will be accomplished. Probably a combination of everyone voting for their favorite and my choosing from the finalists. Winner will receive a free Super T-bolt kit.
Attached Thumbnails
XP-72 Super T-bolt-rhino-model.jpg   XP-72 Super T-bolt-republic_p-72.jpg  

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
The XP-72, also called the UltraBolt, used the same wings and empennage as the standard P-47. In fact, owing to the timeline in which it was originally designed, it did not incorporate the fuselage strake that was added to the long-distance M-model series. Though there are no real records, it is safe to assume that it used the same cockpit layout as the C or D model.

As for the design of the underbelly intake, you should have quite a bit of license since even the National Museum of the USAF does not have any original documentation other than a few factory photos. I saw an online side-view of the plane. If you don't have it let me know and I'll give you the URL.

If I may be so bold, allow me to respectfully suggest that you design a superstructure, sort of a plank-on-frame type of design, that would allow you to subdivide cowl and intake geometries into smaller segments...almost as if you were skinning a real airplane. That way you could reproduce the subtle curvature of the airplane!

As for the finish on the aircraft, had it seen production, it would have flown in USAAC standard OD because of a continuing need for high-altitude interceptors which, in turn, would suggest the possibility that the Allied bombing campaign was not succeeding. The P-72 would, therefore, be pitted against Fw-190 D-9s, Ta-152s, and the earliest jet fighters.

Perhaps you might choose one of the colorful schemes of any of the 8th AF P-47 units. They would have undoubtedly been the first to receive the new P-72. My personal favorite was the 325FG, "Checkertail Clan."

However, it might be cool to do Gabby Gabreski's mount with his kills emblazoned on the side as if he had transitioned to the new P-72. Now that I think of it, that's my vote! I got to meet him several years before he died and he was a wonderful guy with tons of stories!

If you model the plane in any of the popular aircraft scales, I'll do the canopy for you in vacformed acetate.

Last edited by cdavenport; 06-04-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: enlarge the image
Old 06-04-2009, 01:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The under fuselage ductwork of the XP-72 reminded me of the XP-47H and XP-47J. I wonder if the Republic engineers used this ductwork design in the XP-72? If so, a look at these P-47 models might be a useful source. I agree that Kartvelli certainly liked elliptical forms.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
XP-72 Super T-bolt-republic-xp-47h.jpg  
Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The only references* I have corroborate what Charles said - pretty much a production airframe aside from what wasn't. Wings and tail are the same as a D model, except for armament (only 6 .50 guns fitted and plans to replace them with 6 37mm M4 cannon).

Everyone, Karvelli included, liked elliptical forms. Simple and strong.

If you follow the progression of P-35, P43, P47 (skipping XP47) you'll notice that all of the induction trunking under the wing is an 'add-on' to the basic design, so it's pretty safe to assume that much of it would be the same on this one, with perhaps, some components moves slightly further aft.

One thing that simplifies it from a modeling point of view is that the engine was fan cooled al a BMW 801 etc, so there's no engine to be seen at all.

*I have a couple more pictures, but they don't show much either.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is an excellent choice, Will!

A most interesting looking airplane and one that culminates a series of fine-looking and historically significant Seversky/Republic fighters, so there are possibilities for model builders to showcase the series, as well as to enjoy this model individually on its own merits. And, as Major D points out, there are some good possibilities of plausible alternate history color schemes, as there was for the Moonbat.

Your design threads are always fascinating and instructive and I am excited about being a bystander, watching this one develop -- and you can definitely count on me for a sale at the end!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Major Davenport your suggestion is in keeping with my general philosophy of paper model design. I am especially enamoured of the similarities of construction of paper and real airplanes and if you are familiar with my Corsair models and if you could see my Super Detailed Super Corsair design in progress you would notice how I try and hide as many seams as possible where there are real seams on the airplane.

I've said this before but one of my biggest pet peaves is looking at an airplane card model with the seams right down the middle of the fuselage when there is a panel line right next to it that could be used to hide the seam and make the model look so much better.

I only use traditional design methods when I think they work the best and I generally try and find creative ways to do things before I resort to traditional methods.

Don thank you for your support it is appreciated.

Charlie and Shrike, I guess it is saying something about how obscure this plane really is when you two can't come up with very much. But I will be happy to see your pics even though I might have found them in my own searching already.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Watching with interest! I would love to see the ones the Major suggested
Chris
Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.65 GB
For your consideration here's some hypothetical markings that I came up with. I went with a post-war occupational scheme. The job is pretty amateurish but maybe it will get the point across.Overall natural metal. Anti-glare is OD Green with red outline. Red is supposed to zig-zag up as a lightning bolt just behind the deepest portion or the canopy frame, but you can't tell in my plate. Late stars and bars with red stripe. Black/Red/Yellow rudder and wingtips. Black and yellow spinner with red cowl.
Attached Thumbnails
XP-72 Super T-bolt-xp72-1b-sm.jpg  
Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Ok - I want to throw my hat into the ring on this one (snicker, snicker) :D

And please excuse my quick MS Paint coloring, I'm quite sure the colors and camo patterns are off, but I believe it gives the idea anyway
Attached Thumbnails
XP-72 Super T-bolt-xp72-2-eddie-.jpg  
Old 06-04-2009, 10:54 PM

OK, I'll throw in one.
Attached Thumbnails
XP-72 Super T-bolt-rokaf-p72.jpg