PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Computer dumb...help?

I have Google sketch up 7. I can not get Waybe to work with it. I did get one of my models to unfold in pepakura by saving in in Google earth first. I only have the reader version of pepakura though. (wife will not let me spend the $38.00 on the full version until I learn what I am doing with a computer). I also have Gimp, but have no idea on how to use it! Here is a few questions.

What is the best way to do this madel designing stuff?

In sketch up, do you apply all the details first, or after it is a flattened model?

How do you get that model into Gimp? How do you make it a PDF file?

What the heck are layers?

With windows XP, how do you do a screen shot?

How many of you are laughing at my ignorance?

Is there an unfolding program that is free that will let me do models?

I would also like to recolor the FG piper Cub model into an IAF scout plan. Can I use gimp?

All links to threads and Tutorials will be much appreciated! I am really computer incompetent, but I want to learn.

My first attempt at a 3-d model is pictured below. I am also working on a V-1 in Meda...something program. I like the V-1 because the lines are easy and over at Ecardmodels.com they have a nice three vie drawing of it.

I did manage to get the Turret top of my model to unfold by rotating each plane into a flat surface. It took forever.

Any help would be great!
Attached Thumbnails
Computer dumb...help?-css-wilmington1.jpg   Computer dumb...help?-css-wilmington3.jpg   Computer dumb...help?-css-wilmington-deck.jpg   Computer dumb...help?-turret-top.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I feel your pain. I tried the CG programs and found out that if I free hand them and then use Paint, or Paint Shop Pro to enhance them, I get to do them faster than with the Graphics program. It takes too long to draw vectors and layers, polygons and all that stuff. I am still the old fashion when it comes to designing.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
screen shot is usually on the keyboard with Print Screen/ SysRq. you press that and then open say gimp and then go ctrl V that is what i do
Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct ertz View Post
I have Google sketch up 7. I can not get Waybe to work with it. I did get one of my models to unfold in pepakura by saving in in Google earth first. I only have the reader version of pepakura though. (wife will not let me spend the $38.00 on the full version until I learn what I am doing with a computer). I also have Gimp, but have no idea on how to use it! Here is a few questions.

What is the best way to do this madel designing stuff?

In sketch up, do you apply all the details first, or after it is a flattened model?

How do you get that model into Gimp? How do you make it a PDF file?

What the heck are layers?

With windows XP, how do you do a screen shot?

How many of you are laughing at my ignorance?

Is there an unfolding program that is free that will let me do models?

I would also like to recolor the FG piper Cub model into an IAF scout plan. Can I use gimp?

All links to threads and Tutorials will be much appreciated! I am really computer incompetent, but I want to learn.

My first attempt at a 3-d model is pictured below. I am also working on a V-1 in Meda...something program. I like the V-1 because the lines are easy and over at Ecardmodels.com they have a nice three vie drawing of it.

I did manage to get the Turret top of my model to unfold by rotating each plane into a flat surface. It took forever.

Any help would be great!

I'm not familiar with Google Sketch up, but for taking a Screenshot [SS, Screenie...] on Windows XP, hold down PrtScn [Printscreen] and Left Ctrl [Bottom left of the keyboard]. Then open up a paint program, and select paste. [Or Left Ctrl and V] The paste hotkey <----

I strongly suggest purchasing the Full Version of Pepakura, it will help you so much. [ You know, even though your wife says no...]
There are other free Unfolding programs out there, but you can only do so much with them. I've tried a few but Pepakura works best.

Otherwise, you can copy your development in the clipboard [Pepakura] and it'll be saved as a Bitmap(?) Which you can open up in GIMP or Paint... [ There's a half-half chance I'm wrong about that, I haven't touched Paint Vector programs in a while. ]

The below works much better.
To make a PDF File download or purchase a PDF Creator. I use PrimoPDF, and it works great. I believe it goes -

Print Development [Pepakura File] ---> Set printer to PDF Creator [Whichever PDF creator you choose]

For Primo, Windows tab comes up ---> You have the options to email it to yourself, create security pw's, and creat a PDF. >----> Click CREATE PDF >----> A PDF of your model comes up.

Then open up GIMP, and open up the recently saved PDF. The PDF will then be divided into several window tabs, each showing one page of the PDF in GIMP. Then you can recolor and enhance and stuff.

Yes you can use GIMP to recolor.

Hope this helps

Last edited by The Orange; 07-27-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:35 PM

OK, lots of good help. Thanks

I was playing around in gimp earlier. I have a Israeli Spitfire that I am trying to make look like the pictures below. I get how to repaint the thing black, but how would you "draw" in the red stripes and lightning bolt, and the numbers? And what are layers?

(it is about this point when my wife's 17 year old daughter throws her hands in the air and yells, "just play with it and you'll figure it out" and leaves the room. She is a near expert with Photo shop and related programs, and an award winning graphics artist, but in her mind if you have to ask the question then you are incapable of understanding the answer.)
Attached Thumbnails
Computer dumb...help?-oldies.jpg   Computer dumb...help?-site.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
I can think of two ways to do the stripes. [The good old fashion way with Paint and GIMP] You can A) Outline it then fill in with the Paint Bucket. Sometimes it doesn't fill the entire thing and you get white spots. Nothing that can't be fixed with a brush. Or, Use rectangles and erase the excess to let it fit onto the wing. Then again there's probably other ways, but those two come to mind the quickest. [And I'm not sure of the other ways ]

For the lightning bolt you can do the same thing as the first, except using rectangles won't really work...

For the Number you can do it manually, or by trying to find a font that matches how the numbers look.
The Star you can do by layers. Here's two tutorials on Layers. I'm sure that'll answer your question
GIMP layers tutorial · Tankedup-Imaging
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/3d_Logo/
Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
ct ertz

You can use GIMP or any paint program to create your model. They aren't just for coloring, and may be easier to learn than a 3d program such as SketchUp or Rhino.

Layers - Think of layers in terms of a biology manual. There may be a page displaying the human skeleton. The next page is a transparency displaying the organs and will overlay the skeleton. Another transparent page may display the circulatory system. Another may display the musculature and so on until the complete human form is shown.

Designing layered models is similar. You start with a base layer, perhaps the shape of an airplane wing. On a new layer, add your color. On another layer, draw any markings or insignias. By having separate layers, you can quickly modify your design for variations such as insignias without affecting the rest of the design. Check the tutorial section for more and better advice
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
About layers, once you have the developement with the graphics in the way you want, duplicate it and save the original in the native format of the graphics program you are using. That way the layers will be preserved and you can go back and change things if you want. If you save in some other format like jpg or some similar you will "flatten" the graphic and the layers will all be merged into one. Work on the duplicate and save it in whatever format you need, like jpg, gif, png, tiff, etc.

It is a good idea to always work on a duplicate of the original. That way if you mess up badly you will have the original to fall back on.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 PM

You all have been great, but to tell the truth, I can not even figur out how to make a circle or rectangle yet. The only things I can do is bucket fill and the free hand with the stupid wiggly "pencil" button. And hit "Undo" a gazzilian times.I have a rectangle select on gimp, but no tool-button-icon thingy to make a rectangle or circle that I can find. So at this point, the who layers thing is beyond me by a long ways. I just keep playing with the thing untill the vains in my neck stand out and I want to toss the lap top across the room, then get out of the program and take a brake for a while. At least I have not had to figure out how to save anything yet as I have done nothing that has needed saving.

I really do have issues with this kind of thing. I can look at a drawing of a historic uniform in a book and know how to make the pattern with measuring tape and paper, yet this kind of stuff just stifles me. You would think pattern making for clothes and pattern making for models would be similar. Guess not.

I think what I need is to have some one just looking over my shoulder and telling me how to do what I want to do....sadly that's not going to happen. Even if the teenager would grace me with her time she has less patience with me then I have with computers.

So for now it is just trial and error.

CT
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Well, motivation IS the best learning tool. Good luck. It gets easier pretty quickly but can be tough if you don't have somebody experienced helping you to think your way through a design.
Google Adsense