PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
5 Inch HVAR Anyone?

All

This weekend I was spending time with the boy making “duster rockets” (you know, little paper darts propelled by the compressed air dusters used in computer work). After awhile I got to thinking that maybe I could make a “dart” that was a scale model of something. I’ve never designed a paper model before, but I’ve wanted to contribute something to the forum for a long time now, so I gave it a go.

This is a basic World War II era 5 inch HVAR (High Velocity Aircraft Rocket) and can be found in the Aircraft section of the "Downloads". Pictured below are the white prototype and the flying type in its final version from the PDF, both at the end of the “launcher”. The prototype was built with 20lb inkjet printer paper, the final version 28lb color laser printer paper. I found the white rocket goes further so you may want to try printing on different weights of paper to see what performance you can squeeze out of the thing.

I’d love to hear about your flight experiences, and also about any problems you may have had putting these together. I’ll refine as required.

Enjoy!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
5 Inch HVAR Anyone?-prototype-hvar.jpg   5 Inch HVAR Anyone?-5-inch-hvar_01.jpg  

Last edited by Bomarc; 07-29-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Grammer
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Mike,
Neat idea - I hadn't thought of using air cans. If you want to scale up to Inter-Cubicle Ballistic Missiles, the little straw rocket launcher will work for anything up to about 3/4" diameter and 10" long (or just use straws). You've got me thinking about using a smaller launch tube (7/32" is usual for 1/4" straws) for increased power on really small diameter items (there's an AMRAAM out there on the web too). The full scale launcher (at jleslie48.com under misc downloads) will shoot a straw 50-60' easily.

Yogi

5 Inch HVAR Anyone?-soyuz-1-300.jpg
This one's Landsbergen's simple Soyuz scaled down to 1:300 in 20lb bond paper (launches well but needs some nose weight for better range). Launcher has a capped 1" PVC piston (sealed with teflon tape "rings") riding in a 1-1/4" PVC cylinder. 1-1/4" elbow connects to the 1/2" PVC business end with an adapter and the launch tube (hobby shop brass) is pressed into a hole drilled in a 1/2" plug in the final elbow. Power is either a thump on the top of the pison (best option) or the rubber band (need to hold the launcher down when raising the piston).
Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
That's a cool idea Mike. I've never heard of duster rockets before, sounds like fun, I'll have to try that.