PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 04-01-2020, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.44 MB
Send a message via AIM to Cybermac Send a message via MSN to Cybermac
nose

Hello,

Just a bit of an update.
First 3 segments of the nose were quite easy.
Soon the next two with a red stripe.

kind regards

Cybermac
Attached Thumbnails
U-2a/d-u2_photo_11.jpg   U-2a/d-u2_photo_10.jpg  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
I still don't understand why no card model printers have issued a highly detailed model of the original U-2C as flown by Francis Gary Powers and shot down over Sverdlovsk in the old USSR on May 1, 1960, causing a terrible embarrassment to president Eisenhower and cancelled a summit between Mr. Khrushchev and President Eisenhower and other consequences. Card model editors prefer the U2R which has absolutely no historical value. The U2-C also participated in the Cuban missile crisis in 1962 and other important events, not the U-2R which is just an updating of the original U-2 and nothing more.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:03 PM

first colors...

Hello gents,

@ Petestein - I fully agree with you, that kind of model could be already designed/built years and years ago. Bit strange, but never mind.

Anyway, back to the project...
It took me some hours because of this half oval shape but hey ho, we have got some colors there
The next segment should go a bit faster I would say.

kind regards

Cybermac
Attached Thumbnails
U-2a/d-u2_photo_14.jpg  
Old 04-15-2020, 07:12 PM

Smile ...next segment

Hello gents,

Here we've got another segment.

To get those little hatches correct was a bit of pain as they are not visible on many photos. Also, they appear to be only on one side of the airplane.

Anyway, here we go...
Attached Thumbnails
U-2a/d-u2_photo_15.jpg  
Old 04-15-2020, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Belated response from retired U-2 pilot

My previously-mentioned retired U-2 pilot friend has asked me to post this for him:

I don't know that I have much more to add. My personal experience with the U-2 began with three interview flights in October of 1980. Those three flights were flown in a U-2CT (a converted U-2C to make it a two-place trainer), 56-6953. I reported to the training squadron in March 1981. At that time, there was an initial and mission qualification was done in the U-2C and U-2CT. There were two CTs at Beale: 56-6953 and 56-6692. There was also one single-place U-2C, 56-6701. Both the C-Model and the CTs were used for solo flights with the back seat in the CT being tied down when flow solo. I had 55.1 hours in the C and CT to complete initial and mission qualification training. One of the mission qualification rides included shutting the engine down (deliberately) at 60,000 feet and the gliding down to 35,000 feet and doing a restart. This was the result of an accident in Korea that occurred while I was doing my interview rides at Beale. The pilot lost control of the aircraft at altitude and wasn't sufficiently familiar with the instruments available to him on backup power. This accident also led to the acquisition of a procedures trainer (you couldn't quite call it a simulator), after which the deliberate shutdown ride was deleted.

At the time, there was no U-2R trainers, so the first flight in the R was solo. The transition turned out not to be a big deal as it was a much easier airplane to handle than the C was. I had my initial solo in the R on August 4, 1981. I remained at Beale AFB until June 1986. During that time we began receiving the TR-1s, as well as new U-2Rs. They were essentially the same airplane but paid for from different major force program funds. The only way to tell the difference was the tail number. I did get one ride in the newly delivered two-seat TR-1B just before I left Beale.

I took command of a U-2 Detachment at Patrick AFB, FL in March 1990. After Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in August of that year, the airplane was moved to Taif, Saudia Arabia. I was re-assigned to Beale AFB where I commanded the training squadron and did a lot of flying in the TR-1B trainer.

I don't have many pictures of the airplanes there. As I remember, photography was prohibited on the flight line. SR-71s were there at the same time.

I don't know if you have seen a copy of Chris Pocock, "Dragon Lady: The History of the U-2 Spy Plane" (I keep trying to tell everyone it is "reconnaissance," not "spy.") The version I have was published in 1989. The ISBN number is 0-87938-393-3. It has pictures of some of the airplanes that were one of a kind in terms of occasional configuration.

Good luck with the model. I can tell you take great pain with the details. I am sure Don will keep me up to date on your progress. If there is any other information I might be able to provide, let me know.

Regards,

Ken
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2020, 07:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Hobby Model and Paper Trade both did the U-2R in 1/33 and 1/50 respectively.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:43 AM

Hello Gents,

@ Don Boose - thank you for a letter from a real U-2 pilot!
Please pass my regards to Mr. Ken.
That is really interesting to hear a U-2 real stories!
As Ken mentioned there are only a few photos (close up photos) of a U-2 from the time where they were in service. They would be a great help, so I will have a look for this book.
Good job we have a decent plans those days.

@ SPJONeill - U2R is a newer and bigger airplane, so it is actually something different I am doing. Anyway thank you.

Coming back to the project - I will be happy if I can prepare a whole fuselage till I will be going back to work. I will leave a cabin interior and landing gear for later.
Just starting another segment with airplane canopy.

kind regards

Cybermac
Old 04-17-2020, 07:25 AM

Keep up the good work. Hope that all U-2C lovers can finally have a highly detailed model of this historic aircraft. We deserve it.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:13 AM

Hello gents,

@ Petestein - I will do my best to deliver a decent model of U-2.

By the way, I am working on U-2D (which is slightly modified A version) and should be able to generate some other versions like B and F if I am correct.

C version has got bigger air intakes (same as CT - double seater/trainer) so this is why I left it till D/A is done. Shouldn't be many problems with intakes and some different detailing on the bottom (camera compartment) I hope.

Back to the project - I have got the next segment's shape and the color stripes done last night.
Now the details will follow but I need to get them from at least 3-4 different sources including photos, secondary plans (Авиация и Время - journal from Ukraine), etc.

Will keep you posted

kind regards
Old 04-19-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermac View Post
Hello gents,

@ Petestein - I will do my best to deliver a decent model of U-2.

By the way, I am working on U-2D (which is slightly modified A version) and should be able to generate some other versions like B and F if I am correct.

C version has got bigger air intakes (same as CT - double seater/trainer) so this is why I left it till D/A is done. Shouldn't be many problems with intakes and some different detailing on the bottom (camera compartment) I hope.
Can't wait to see this model and hopefully with parts for the spy version of Francis Powers. Keep up the good work!!
Google Adsense