PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 01-23-2014, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline

Hey Everyone! I'm getting close to releasing a new airframe in the 1/72 airliners line. She's a Jetstream 31/32. There should be a lot of liveries to come. Here's some CG previews. Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-1.jpg   Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-2.jpg   Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-3.jpg   Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-6.jpg   Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-7.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-26-2014, 01:42 AM

Model Almost Ready

She's just about ready for a test build; here's a couple shots of her (blank) pages.
Attached Thumbnails
Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-1.jpg   Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-2.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 02:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Looks nice, can't wait.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Another nice one.
I always enjoy seeing your 3D images because they show the shapes of the model rather than those of the orginal subject.
Would it be asking you to betray a trade secret or would you be willing to explain how you set up to determine the curves of intersection between the wing root fillets and the fuselage?
Attached Thumbnails
Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-fillet.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice View Post
Another nice one.
I always enjoy seeing your 3D images because they show the shapes of the model rather than those of the orginal subject.
Would it be asking you to betray a trade secret or would you be willing to explain how you set up to determine the curves of intersection between the wing root fillets and the fuselage?
It's really not a secret; First , I don't use drawings for my models at all. I use photos first and foremost, and second I just sorta "eyeball" the subject to see if it looks right. Every dimension is derived from manufacturers' specs, and all else I get from photos of the original. I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to proportions. This particular airplane has an almost "wraparound" fillet that bridges the wing to the fuselage. In this case, I elected to create a complete wing section that makes the transition from wing to fuselage. I really played with it until I thought it looked right, and by that I mean it mated with the fuselage at the proper points and captured the gesture of the original. It's a great question; and I'm sure every aircraft designer here will testify to the alchemy you have to perform to make a decent wing fillet. :-)
Google Adsense
Old 01-26-2014, 03:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Thank you muchly for the explanation. In fact I think I am relieved in some ways to hear that their is no magic formula that I had not heard of to deal with this specific knotty problem.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 38.14 MB
You're my hero

Sumato, you're my hero.

As I've mentioned before I work part time at the local airport as a baggage handler and ground crew, and it's long been my desire to make a model of each of the aircraft we see on a regular basis. These are the Dash 8-300, occasionally a Dash 8-100, Beech 1900 and 1900C, Fairchild Metro, JetStream, and the occasional RJ-100 or B737.

Given that there's lots of 737's available, this will make 4 down and two to go. You're awesome!

Can't ask much more than that, except the specific liveries we see too, and I can probably handle the repainting. Maybe.

Now I just have to get building....

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Test Builds Underway

Hey Everyone! I've got the first of many J31 airframes under test build right now. Here's a small sample of a British Airways bird coming soon...
Attached Thumbnails
Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-3.jpg   Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-4.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 01:25 PM

Here's a shot of a TW express bird , courtesy of my friend Chris in Germany...
Attached Thumbnails
Jetstream 31 (1/72) Skyline-5.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Good Evening,

For just eyeballing, you do an amazing job! Your models really do capture the "look" of the real subject. I've long thought that nobody would be able to recreate the graceful L-1011 shape in paper, but I'll bet you'd be the one who could do it.

Best regards,
Kurt
Google Adsense