PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 02-26-2021, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.44 MB
Send a message via AIM to Cybermac Send a message via MSN to Cybermac
Smile ...update

Hello U-2 fans!

Just wanted to give you a bit of update on the project.

What I got done within Jan/Feb is the main part of the G-H segment.
This is one main part with two smaller bits for the top (just behind the cabin).

The two gray shapes will need a bit of correction as I to fit properly with air intakes.

By the way I couldn't do much more because last couple of weeks my job changed onto the permanent nights shifts and the whole live is now some kind of upside down.

In the next step (after the corrections) I will enlarge the whole bits 2x and will try to fit them - a bit of trial and error process.

However with the current situation I can't say when it is going to happen, but I can honestly say I am working on my projects on my little laptop whenever is possible

All the best

kind regards
Attached Thumbnails
U-2a/d-u2_photo_31.jpg  
Old 04-05-2023, 10:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 864.27 MB
This is an 'old' thread, but it should be continued.

I researched far more than I needed to design a Free Flight model of the U-2C [48" wingspan]. Attached is a file of my accumulated notes. They should be suitable for a card model design project.

These notes were pulled from multiple publications and model forums. I did it for my own use, so I didn't document the source material. This isn't a research paper.

Some items conflict, but I wrote them down, anyway. I made no effort to identify the wrong information, as it had no impact on my model.

The Jack Lynn Bale ducted fan RC model [U-2B] is the only decent flying scale U-2. It can serve as an excellent 3 view with cross-sections. It is sufficiently accurate, so no need to consult other drawings to improve accuracy. The plan is posted on the Outerzone website for free download. It is listed as 117" wingspan.
Oz : Free plans : Collection of free vintage model aircraft plans to download

Full size wingspan is 80 feet, so 1:33 would be 29 inches. At 1:50 it is 19 inches.

Consult the myriad of photos out on the net for details, schemes, and insignia options.

- Erik
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lockheed U-2 research notes.pdf (73.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-13-2023, 01:18 PM

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your post and your interest in my work!

I will continue working on U-2 for sure.

The situation is that I am still learning how to design and I got stuck with the air intakes.
Possibly I need to investigate the air intakes of F-104 thoroughly.

I am still looking for photos and documentation as I got no chance to see the real thing. On top of that I am having not much time (challenging time in my life).

Anyway, apart of that the fuselage and the wings shouldn't be much of problem and I will be back on it as soon as time allows.

For now, when possible, I am pursuing 'an easier project' - pure 'flying pipe' to learn how to accomplish the whole cycle of the design, coloring, etc. from A to Z.

kind regards

Cybermac

Last edited by Cybermac; 04-13-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
I agree that Jack Bales' U2 is accurate EXCEPT the wing airfoil section. This is because it was designed to be flown with a ducted fan and radio control. This is why it cannot keep the original wing section of the full size U2. Apart from this small detail, as stated before, the plan is accurate. There are several web pages that show accurate full size three view plans of the U2. Just a quick search will help. Also the old Hawk/Testors/Round2 plastic version of this beautiful aircraft is extremely accurate. The the U2 is no longer top secret as it used to be some 70 years ago.
Old 04-13-2023, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 864.27 MB
Yeah, the airfoil is for a flying model. Correct root airfoil is the NACA 6409. For a card model, doing the Clark-Y with an undercamber should look acceptable. Nice thing about the Bale drawing is that it is can be scaled down to 1:33 or 1:50 without the typical line thickness issues when enlarging a magazine page drawing.

- Erik
Google Adsense
Old 04-15-2023, 04:53 AM

Smile ...

Hello gents,

Erik J - thank you for the RC model plans, they will be very helpful with the next batch of cross-sections.

I had a look into my U-2A Corel file after well over a year.
It is a right mess and and the main thing to go forward is to get the cross-sections correct. Than it is going to be 7 segments of the fuselage.
I think I can get them on one go when I have a day off at some point in the nearest future.

Please bare in mind that I am still learning and the experience I am getting from one design helps me with the other. So to not waste my time whenever I get stuck with one I am jumping into the other.

Anyway, with regards to the real U-2 airfoils that's what I have got so far...

kind regards

Cybermac
Attached Thumbnails
U-2a/d-u2_photo_32.jpg  
Old 04-15-2023, 05:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.03 GB
Not sure if its any help or not, but there is a U-2A preserved and on display at the Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, OH. Its hanging from the ceiling, so photographing some details may be challenging, but it is the only "early" U-2 on display that I know of. The particular aircraft at the museum flew mostly research and equipment -testing missions for the USAF, but is painted as a recon aircraft of the era would have appeared. Documentation of many recon aircraft of the era (U-2, RB-57D, C-130A-II, RB-47 etc) is very sparse.