PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Design Threads

Old 06-18-2022, 08:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Change the name to Caravel Prime and call it fan art.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Right, as long as you don't use any specific, "identifiers" such as trademarked or copyrighted materials you should be fine, you may have to omit any, "winged funnel" or particular, "color scheme" as that may be a registered trademark as well.

Best to avoid ANY potential, "identifiers" including addresses and locations.

It may also be in your interest to note that it is a, "fictitious rendition".

For me personally, it's something I prefer to avoid, many, many years ago PMI requested that I do the Seattle super ferries, it all sounded pretty good until I reviewed their licensing requirements.

And then in 2005 I approached Holland cruise lines about doing five of their ships, after months of drafting proposals, sending relevant information etc. I got no further than the VP of, "public relations" and no further, you have to get past them to the, "decision makers" who are in a position of authority to either grant or deny you permission, after six months of that, I gave up but I learned a lot during the process.

What did I learn? corporations are much larger than I am.

Last edited by FRD; 06-18-2022 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:15 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
With that said, if he is doing them for free as "fan art", perhaps not a problem?

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-18-2022, 10:33 AM

Right, fan art is fine as long as it doesn't include any specific. "identifiers", the theory being is that if you create, "fan art" that can be proven as a misrepresentation to the point of, "detriment" to the parent company it could be considered as "slanderous" or, "libelous" however, if you omit any specific. "identifiers" then you can pretty much do what ever you want.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:36 AM

That's why Marji only did six of those five star inns. It only took her that long to realize that most of these, "quaint" little inns we're actually owned by LLC's and corporations, most had no licensing agreement and getting to the, "decision makers" was next to impossible.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:51 AM

By the same token I've found that using no identifiers can be used to your advantage.

For example, when it came time to publish those inns, I told them specifically that I intended to publish them regardless.

The difference being that, if it did not get their approval, I would then simply publish as a, "generic inn" located. "somewhere in America" and let the end user figure out who, what, when and where, this would be of NO ADVANTAGE to the inn in question, they all saw the benefit and allowed me to proceed.

The only caveat that I offered was they they could have the, "final edit" to make sure that the content met their approval.

I still hold this option on everything I do, I "threaten" to publish regardless, omitting any identifiers if need be, I call this, "leverage"

Last edited by FRD; 06-18-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:09 PM

I'm not familiar enough with the definition of, "Fan Art" to comment on it, i would only advocate to avoid using copyrighted or trademarked materials if you can.
Old 06-18-2022, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Sounds like too much lawyering.

Carnival was approached many years ago to do a paper model of one of their ships ( not sure who was involved ? ). The design was done, but Carnival decided not to go along with it and killed off that project.

So good luck with approaching them again. They have bigger issues to deal with than paper models.

I just want to know why select this one for legal issues notices? How is it different than any scale paper model out there and here on this forum. How about the many airliner models we build?

I suppose if money is being made, it is different, but this is just sharing.

Isaac
Old 06-20-2022, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.82 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Sounds like too much lawyering.

Carnival was approached many years ago to do a paper model of one of their ships ( not sure who was involved ? ). The design was done, but Carnival decided not to go along with it and killed off that project.

So good luck with approaching them again. They have bigger issues to deal with than paper models.

I just want to know why select this one for legal issues notices? How is it different than any scale paper model out there and here on this forum. How about the many airliner models we build?

I suppose if money is being made, it is different, but this is just sharing.

Isaac
I guess this could explain why there isn't many carnival model ships around
Old 06-20-2022, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.82 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
"That's something thats never occurred to me" That is something you should always consider as entities both large and small value their intellectual property or image and will take great measures to protect it.

As a designer, I make absolutely sure that there is no use of copyrighted or trademarked materials that would require a license from the entity or owner to reproduce, it's a very serious issue that needs to be examined always, it could be something as simple as using the company/ship name, logo or image if it's a registered trademark or copyrighted materials.

It can be done but it has to be done very carefully to avoid any potential legalities.

For example, a good rule of thumb is:, there is nothing to prevent someone from taking a photo, painting a portrait or representing the ship or entity as a paper model as it is an "artistic expression" of something that is in the "public domain" and therefore can not be hidden from the public view.

However, using the company or entity name may be protected by a registered trademark and therefore can't be used without expressed written permission, usually in the form of a purchased, "license" to use that protected image or material.

Something to consider always when dealing with IP that you don't own.

It's one thing to be a, "designer" but it's a little more difficult to be a, "responsible designer" and not, "step on anyone's toes" (they don't like that)

Put simply, it is something you should always consider.
Sounds like a lot for a paper model, i can contact the company, i was intending on selling the model and some others but that might not happen
Google Adsense